KCNC on a temporary set

Chase29

17 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

2013. It was holding up nicely and sets cost a lot and don't contribute to a ratings bump.

It was nice but I kinda in my eye was starting to look dated. Just like WCCO their set holds up well also but at some point ill start to look sore.

• Like 3

Looks great. You can also see they now do weather on another big video wall in the studio, and there's also a sitting area. Nice to see something different as the 2003, 2008, and 2013 sets all had the same basic layout and designer.

Some good pictures of the teardown and build:

https://www.cbsnews.com/colorado/pictures/cbs-colorado-new-set-construction-behind-the-scenes/30/

It looks like they really used every square inch of what is otherwise a very small and outdated studio. The desk looks clunky, but I said the same about the KCAL set. The lighting looks good, the monitors are new, there are a few different presentation areas - what's not to like?

4 hours ago, GraphicsMan said:

It was nice but I kinda in my eye was starting to look dated. Just like WCCO their set holds up well also but at some point ill start to look sore.

Sets are a big waste of money.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2024 at 3:41 PM, TennTV1983 said:

KTVT and WCCO are probably the next ones up to get upgrades.

WWJ needs something before the other two... However both WCCO & KTVT have good sets.

On 6/11/2024 at 7:15 PM, GodfreyGR said:

CCO's set has aged remarkably well for being almost 15 years old. I'd argue that they still have one of the best sets in the market. Renovations were made a couple of years ago for the launch of "The 4", and more updates were made to update the set to scrub the old logos from the glass and weather center.

That said, how did CBS allow WCCO to have such a unique set in the first place? Just years of not having a real set from using the window onto the Nicollet Mall Plaza?

WCCO has always been CBS' better child because they have always stayed on top unlike NYC, LA, Chicago. CBS bought WCCO in 1992 and they have never been a CBS corporate station

or tone. Just the same station that always had a solid newscast and despite the competition still kicks them in the ratings.  There probably some favor at WCCO.

Edited by Breaking News
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

Sets are a big waste of money.

They're expensive I mean in the '90s Gil Jimenez sets cost only $100,000, but unless you want more stations to having set forever like KING 5 in Seattle did before their move in 2016, or WJZ before there new set in 2018, or KUSI which hasn't changed their set yet. You need them. No viewers are gonna watch a newscast in a set that from 25+ years ago in fact I argue it expensive because they've gotta constantly refresh the set to make it look modern as it ages, replacing the set while expensive yes best the cost of having to constantly update an aging news set from decades ago to look good in modern times. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GraphicsMan said:

They're expensive I mean in the '90s Gil Jimenez sets cost only $100,000, but unless you want more stations to having set forever like KING 5 in Seattle did before their move in 2016, or WJZ before there new set in 2018, or KUSI which hasn't changed their set yet. You need them. No viewers are gonna watch a newscast in a set that from 25+ years ago in fact I argue it expensive because they've gotta constantly refresh the set to make it look modern as it ages, replacing the set while expensive yes best the cost of having to constantly update an aging news set from decades ago to look good in modern times. 

Again, as I said, there's been no data indicating a ratings bump because of it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GraphicsMan said:

KUSI which hasn't changed their set yet. 

KUSI is currently going thru a major overhaul now that they are merging with FOX5. They have been on a temporary set since January using FOX5’s old desk used from 2014-2018.

Edited by SFTV

Of course a set is not (really going to change ratings), but it's borderline crazy to suggest that replacing a 12-year-old set is an exceptional waste of money. KCNC skipped the wave of KCBS copycats of 2016/17. It's probably time.

By the ratings logic, most stations in the country should look the same now as they did in the '90s, '80s, or even the '70s, with how rarely ratings shift. Major market ABC station who's dominated since the '80s...why bother? You'll still be #1. Major market CBS station who's been a dog for 30 years...also why bother?

Edited by 24994J
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, 24994J said:

Of course a set is not (really going to change ratings), but it's borderline crazy to suggest that replacing a 12-year-old set is a waste of money. KCNC skipped the wave of KCBS copycats of 2016/17. It's probably time.

By the ratings logic, most stations in the country should look the same now as they did in the '90s, '80s, or even the '70s, with how rarely ratings shift. Major market ABC station who's dominated since the '80s...why bother? You'll still be #1. Major market CBS station who's been a dog for 30 years...also why bother?

I'd argue that if you set runs $200-$300K, you should invest that in more journalists.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

I'd argue that if you set runs $200-$300K, you should invest that in more journalists.

300K??? A new set runs about $1 million.

that said, their set was really small and dated, and they needed a fresh look. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, newsman123 said:

300K??? A new set runs about $1 million.

that said, their set was really small and dated, and they needed a fresh look. 

A long time ago like the 90s and 80s it would be around 100k-300k but that was a long time ago.

10 minutes ago, GraphicsMan said:

A long time ago like the 90s and 80s it would be around 100k-300k but that was a long time ago.

Then even more! Pay your journalists more than minimum wage.

• Like 1

If we’re going to complain about stations wasting money on sets, I don’t think this is the example. This is replacing a set that was more than 10 years old and had very few modifications to it. (Looks like in those pictures too that they are even saving the updated video wall from the outgoing set for something else.) At a certain point, things get old and outdated and need to be replaced. What KCNC just put in there is nice, modern, and not particularly excessive or opulent. Plus, as others pointed out, they probably saved some money on design by reusing the KCAL designs. I don’t think replacing a 10-year-old set with something functional, modern, and not over-the-top like what KCNC did here is a bad decision at all.

If we’re going to talk about irresponsible excess, look no further than KDVR. They replaced a set that was what, barely three years old with something that has so many monitors that it probably cost a lot more than it looks. And the end product has terrible lighting and looks worse than what it replaced.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2