Graham Media Group general discussion

The old Graham Media Group thread is archived.  It’s time to start a new one, due in part to this interesting development.

Graham Media Group is apparently applying the MMJ concept (one person does the jobs of two or three people)  to its local management.  Its six stations have job openings for a so-called “Manager of Content and Coverage.”  Judging by the job description, this sounds like a mashup of an assistant news director, an executive producer, and possibly even a managing editor.  I wouldn’t be surprised if this MCC person even had to line produce on occasion!

Here’s the job opening for reference: https://www.click2houston.com/careers/2024/05/28/manager-of-content-and-coverage-three-openings-available/

I can’t say I’m surprised about this new development in management.  Graham is in cost-cutting mode.  They recently went through a round of buyouts.  Plus, they hired Sean McLaughlin, the ex-Scripps news executive who spearheaded that company’s bungled news reorganization.

They are hiring (3) of those positions per station. Its like adding 3 additional EP’s to oversee each daypart. They are replacing the longtime vets with more managers.

“There will be 3 MCC positions available, working different shifts inside the newsroom. One of the shifts will involve early-morning hours to lead our morning news efforts. One will work later in the evening to lead our late news efforts, with the final a day shift leading evening products.”

Edited by newsman123

1 hour ago, newsman123 said:

They are hiring (3) of those positions per station. Its like adding 3 additional EP’s to oversee each daypart. They are replacing the longtime vets with more managers.

It doesn’t sound like Graham is adding more managers.  I think they're combining several management jobs into one.  I say this, because one of the MCC job duties is to “act as the news director in their absence.”  That’s typically up to the assistant news director to do.  Other duties listed in the job posting sound similar to what you’d expect from an executive producer and a managing editor.  It therefore sounds like Graham will reduce at least five jobs — assistant ND, morning EP, dayside EP, evening EP, and managing editor — into three MCC jobs.  And I'm sure the salaries won't match the job responsibilities either.

On 6/11/2024 at 7:25 PM, Howard Beale said:

The old Graham Media Group thread is archived.  It’s time to start a new one, due in part to this interesting development.

Graham Media Group is apparently applying the MMJ concept (one person does the jobs of two or three people)  to its local management.  Its six stations have job openings for a so-called “Manager of Content and Coverage.”  Judging by the job description, this sounds like a mashup of an assistant news director, an executive producer, and possibly even a managing editor.  I wouldn’t be surprised if this MCC person even had to line produce on occasion!

Here’s the job opening for reference: https://www.click2houston.com/careers/2024/05/28/manager-of-content-and-coverage-three-openings-available/

I can’t say I’m surprised about this new development in management.  Graham is in cost-cutting mode.  They recently went through a round of buyouts.  Plus, they hired Sean McLaughlin, the ex-Scripps news executive who spearheaded that company’s bungled news reorganization.

I know WDIV has been progressively getting worse lately… I welcome a Scripps guy to make sure they follow through on that effort.