The WCBS bloodbath continues

canitgetanyworse

What hypocrites. When WNBC were making thier cuts, I believe the Daily News quoted someone at WCBS who made a jab at WNBC concerning the cuts. They're doing the same thing now with their budget cuts. Demoralizing is a perfect way to put it, when a veteran reporter has to settle for less, the way the Daily News put, it seemed that Lou Young was begging for them to let him stay.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are we to believe that Lou Young actually would take a pay cut to remain at the station? What would be the reason? We know seniority doesn't mean much at WCBS. Could it be another station cannot give him a full time slot. Maybe he can end up at Fox 5 if what I read about them making lots of big changes is going to come to fruition.

I can see taking a pay cut if you love where you work. Lou Young deserves a new contract at a place with some semblance of stability where experience and talent are considered assets.

I have a great idea to get viewers to watch. Have viewers vote online or by texting who will get canned next. Then they have to tune in to see who is not on anymore. The correct voters are entered into a drawing where the winner is a CBS2 anchor sub for a day.

Yes, Maurice's attitude with John is the same one I would have with John if I was in Maurice's place. If he was friends with Audrey or not, John is just plain "clowny like" as I say and Maurice has a right to be like that. Kate doesn't seem to care. She's just fake and acting whatever she's trying to hide. I think John really is trying too hard to impress us and everyone at CBS2.

Or maybe they should have a contest entitled, "Which is next to go, exclusively @ CBS2." Contestants text in to who they think will leave next and if you are correct, you win a prize.

Yes, Maurice's attitude with John is the same one I would have with John if I was in Maurice's place. If he was friends with Audrey or not, John is just plain "clowny like" as I say and Maurice has a right to be like that. Kate doesn't seem to care. She's just fake and acting whatever she's trying to hide. I think John really is trying too hard to impress us and everyone at CBS2.

Or maybe they should have a contest entitled, "Which is next to go, exclusively @ CBS2." Contestants text in to who they think will leave next and if you are correct, you win a prize.

I think we should start that game up right here just for the fun of it.. Who do yall think is the next to go at CBS 2??

I would say people who are on the weekends, since most of the people who were cut did anchor the weekend news.

My picks to go:

Liz Caruthers

Mary Calvi

Marcia Kramer, i agree with morningnewsfan here. Andrew Kirtzman can take over her duties.

I would say people who are on the weekends, since most of the people who were cut did anchor the weekend news.

My picks to go:

Liz Caruthers

Mary Calvi

Marcia Kramer, i agree with morningnewsfan here. Andrew Kirtzman can take over her duties.

I only agree with you on Liz. 1) Mary is a very good anchor AND reporter 2) Marcia is one of the 5 or 6 people who has been there since before 2000, she is good at what she does and has an abundance of contacts.

Anyone notice though that "Kirtzman and Kramer" hasn't been airing....

So i was just looking at NewsByte2, and Geoffrey posted up an article from NY Post and it talked about the "bloodbath" or "massacre", what ever you want to call it, and i find it interesting that they said WCBS still owes Roz Abrams $6 Miliion. I don't understand why they had to do that. They should have let Roz stay and let her atleast work for the money. Reading the story infuriated me, how can WCBS' management be so dumb?! Who are the fools running the station. Why did they hire Friend? CNBC was a flop, and Friend was responsible for it. ::)

I wonder where will John go? I mean i feel sorry for him in that even though CBS2 news is a bit lacking, they have good weather coverage, with their Live Doppler aka "doppler 2Million" and the association with the Weather Channel. I would say they have the best technology and resources in town. Its downhill from now if he has to settle for less.

So i was just looking at NewsByte2, and Geoffrey posted up an article from NY Post and it talked about the "bloodbath" or "massacre", what ever you want to call it, and i find it interesting that they said WCBS still owes Roz Abrams $6 Miliion. I don't understand why they had to do that. They should have let Roz stay and let her atleast work for the money. Reading the story infuriated me, how can WCBS' management be so dumb?! Who are the fools running the station. Why did they hire Friend? CNBC was a flop, and Friend was responsible for it. ::D

I wonder where will John go? I mean i feel sorry for him in that even though CBS2 news is a bit lacking, they have good weather coverage, with their Live Doppler aka "doppler 2Million" and the association with the Weather Channel. I would say they have the best technology and resources in town. Its downhill from now if he has to settle for less.

The truth if you ask me is that Friend didn't want any of Dianne Doctor's "acquisitions" to remain at the station. Any of the "big names" that she brought over (with the exception of Maurice and Jim) were all let go. Roz, Bolaris, Puente, Bosquez, Ryan, etc...

Clearly Friend is trying to reinvent WCBS using no-name, out of town personalities. The guy doesn't have a clue. New Yorkers are creatures of habit. They watch what they're familiar with, and who they're familiar with. It's the reason why WABC remains #1 in all dayparts. People watch channel 7 because it's a habit. People stopped watching channel 2 when Jim Jensen was fired in his whole alcoholic debacle. No one's been watching WCBS since 1994.

So i was just looking at NewsByte2, and Geoffrey posted up an article from NY Post and it talked about the "bloodbath" or "massacre", what ever you want to call it, and i find it interesting that they said WCBS still owes Roz Abrams $6 Miliion. I don't understand why they had to do that. They should have let Roz stay and let her atleast work for the money. Reading the story infuriated me, how can WCBS' management be so dumb?! Who are the fools running the station. Why did they hire Friend? CNBC was a flop, and Friend was responsible for it. ::D

The truth if you ask me is that Friend didn't want any of Dianne Doctor's "acquisitions" to remain at the station. Any of the "big names" that she brought over (with the exception of Maurice and Jim) were all let go. Roz, Bolaris, Puente, Bosquez, Ryan, etc...

Clearly Friend is trying to reinvent WCBS using no-name, out of town personalities. The guy doesn't have a clue. New Yorkers are creatures of habit. They watch what they're familiar with, and who they're familiar with. It's the reason why WABC remains #1 in all dayparts. People watch channel 7 because it's a habit. People stopped watching channel 2 when Jim Jensen was fired in his whole alcoholic debacle. No one's been watching WCBS since 1994.

I understand where you are coming from, but there are exceptions to that rule. For example, by your theory, Chuck & Sue should be #1. But yes, all of this change is not good. You'd think one of these people would learn from any of their dozens of predecessors.

The main fact of life is that change is usually never a good thing, people have to adapt to changes, but sometimes people will just never adapt especially the way CBS 2 has been changing so frequently without warning. People simply just leave and move on to other stations that deserve to be watched like WNBC and WABC. Those stations are the New York Models, even WNYW (FOX 5) and WPIX (CW 11) are both far better than CBS 2.

-Vlad

I understand where you are coming from, but there are exceptions to that rule. For example, by your theory, Chuck & Sue should be #1. But yes, all of this change is not good. You'd think one of these people would learn from any of their dozens of predecessors.

Well, I agree with you to some extent.

If you look back in history, WABC-TV was always #1 in the ratings from the time "Eyewitness News" was incarnated. The exception to the rule was a very short period of time when WNBC won the mornings, 6PM and 11PM, therefore making them #1. Truth is, even with Chuck & Sue, WNBC is nowhere near the powerhouse that WABC is in New York. And no, I'm not biased, it's just a fact. WNBC's strong point was always the morning news. They used to DOMINATE. Ever since the departure of Jane Hanson, it was down the tubes.

Back in the days of Jim Jensen, WCBS was usually a solid #2 in the ratings to WABC. Why? Because Jensen was like the Beutel of WCBS. While Chuck is a legend in his own right, he was younger, and the "older generations" prefered to get their news from the likes of Beutel and Jensen. Their children watched that, it became a habit, then their children watched it, etc. It's not the talent that people would normally "stick to" but the format, and the channel.

WCBS can't even choose a format and stick with it. Now they're the "breaking news station?" I mean, even since 1997 when they went the route of WCBS-AM 880, (More News in Less Time), then the VizArt (virtual reality) set, then the 5th Avenue Deal (WCBS Grand), then The "Information center" then back to studio 46 - It's a mess. Make it something and stick to it.

At this point the talent doesn't even matter - WCBS needs to just pick a format and stick with it for 5 years. They'll at least gain an audience which then knows what they're getting when they tune in.

Speaking of WCBS - word is they'll be getting talent opens again within the next month or so. Something similar, but less flashy then those of WBBM in Chicago.

Well, I agree with you to some extent.

If you look back in history, WABC-TV was always #1 in the ratings from the time "Eyewitness News" was incarnated. The exception to the rule was a very short period of time when WNBC won the mornings, 6PM and 11PM, therefore making them #1. Truth is, even with Chuck & Sue, WNBC is nowhere near the powerhouse that WABC is in New York. And no, I'm not biased, it's just a fact. WNBC's strong point was always the morning news. They used to DOMINATE. Ever since the departure of Jane Hanson, it was down the tubes.

Back in the days of Jim Jensen, WCBS was usually a solid #2 in the ratings to WABC. Why? Because Jensen was like the Beutel of WCBS. While Chuck is a legend in his own right, he was younger, and the "older generations" prefered to get their news from the likes of Beutel and Jensen. Their children watched that, it became a habit, then their children watched it, etc. It's not the talent that people would normally "stick to" but the format, and the channel.

WCBS can't even choose a format and stick with it. Now they're the "breaking news station?" I mean, even since 1997 when they went the route of WCBS-AM 880, (More News in Less Time), then the VizArt (virtual reality) set, then the 5th Avenue Deal (WCBS Grand), then The "Information center" then back to studio 46 - It's a mess. Make it something and stick to it.

Ot at least stop running through on-air talent like a Hay Fever sufferer going through Kleenex.

They certainly have been pushing their current anchorsin on-air promos lately. In the one with Chris Wragge, I keep expecting him to say, "Sometimes I have a problem pronouncing the big words, but I'm getting better every day!"

Archived