KWGN and KDVR to Rebrand

C Block

I drove by the KWGN/KDVR studios in downtown Denver last week. They usually rent the billboard that's right in front of it, and on it now are two new logos for both stations being covered up by a sheet of paper that says "It's time for something NEWS".

I did some sleuthing and came up with this:

scaled.php?tn=0&server=610&filename=i1naa.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

The KDVR logo looks a lot like the boxy one they used before they adopted the O&O graphics, which I'm guessing may be ditched with this new look. And I have no idea what KWGN will do.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I drove by the KWGN/KDVR studios in downtown Denver last week. They usually rent the billboard that's right in front of it, and on it now are two new logos for both stations being covered up by a sheet of paper that says "It's time for something NEWS".

I did some sleuthing and came up with this:

scaled.php?tn=0&server=610&filename=i1naa.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

The KDVR logo looks a lot like the boxy one they used before they adopted the O&O graphics, which I'm guessing may be ditched with this new look. And I have no idea what KWGN will do.

I'm eh on both logs. I don't like the KWGN one and barely like the KDVR; we'll see if they make it to air.

I doubt it since Local TV, LLC has prided themselves and Tribune in making practically all their FOX affiliates have the O&O look for the news operations. Anyways, a lot of FOX O&Os have an "alternate" look with horizontal logos similar to KDVR's logo on that panel for the syndicated and network bug, so it might be their "alternate" logo. Now KWGN might change to that logo to that full time.

I used to work with that guy!

I've been following him on Twitter for a few months. He is the one who's most likely to talk about all that visual stuff. Apparently he left the news department for promotions. Going by his creative work in the past, their promotions department is lucky to have him.

Tribune in making practically all their FOX affiliates have the O&O look for the news operations. Anyways, a lot of FOX O&Os have an "alternate" look with horizontal logos similar to KDVR's logo

Not for KSWB, KTXL and WPMT, they use a generic mock version of the 2006-2008 O&O look.

it would be nice and ditch that cheap look and go with the "real" O&O graphics that the other Tribune stations are using like WTIC, WXIN, and other Tribune stations that have the O&O look

Not for KSWB, KTXL and WPMT, they use a generic mock version of the 2006-2008 O&O look.

it would be nice and ditch that cheap look and go with the "real" O&O graphics that the other Tribune stations are using like WTIC, WXIN, and other Tribune stations that have the O&O look

Those "mock" graphics look about 100x better than the original FOX O&O graphics. KOKI here uses them, too. I think they're Hothaus.

KTVI is stuck with the '06 look. Now as for KGWN's logo from the picture, I like the logo (without the CW logo).

I was in St. Louis recently and saw very little of their news. They did seem to have an L3 that matched the newer O&O look, but I wasn't paying attention.

I DID see a lot of "News 4 Never Stops" (what consultant dreamed THAT look up? – Belo needs a new graphics designer, I say that much) and a bit of KSDK. Didn't bother with KDNL.

P.S. I see some words on top of the CW logo. I think they read "Denver's Own"?

P.S. I see some words on top of the CW logo. I think they read "Denver's Own"?

I hadn't noticed that, but I think you might be right. The two stations issued a press release for a telethon for Japan that they both ran after the earthquake, and in it, they called themselves "Fox 31 News and Colorado's Own KWGN".

Perhaps the "Colorado's Very Own" moniker (or some form of it) may make a return?

I DID see a lot of "News 4 Never Stops" (what consultant dreamed THAT look up? – Belo needs a new graphics designer, I say that much)

That's KMOV's old slogan. Their new slogan is "News 4 Never stops watching out for you". I wonder how long it took the vo guy to say that without getting tongue tied.

Yeah, that's for sure. I've seen those said stations looks and it is "cheap" looking at best.

I've been following him on Twitter for a few months. He is the one who's most likely to talk about all that visual stuff. Apparently he left the news department for promotions. Going by his creative work in the past, their promotions department is lucky to have him.

He worked in production at KRDO, and was a photographer there before moving up to KDVR. Sounds like he's really thriving up there.

• 2 weeks later...

The new KDVR logo is now on their website:

5647777693_42f56d9a7c_m.jpg

http://kdvr.com

I haven't watched a newscast yet to see if the graphics have changed. KWGN's website still shows the post-Deuce Deuce logo.

EDIT: Peter Birdsong posted a peek of the new graphics. Apparently they debuted on the 5pm news today.

scaled.php?tn=0&server=610&filename=np7yk.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

http://yfrog.com/gynp7ykj

They also pulled the old signs off the building two days ago, though when I drove down Broadway today, I still saw the ones on the north side up.

http://yfrog.com/h3w63yijj

I saw their stream last night; they definitely changed the music but I don't know what they changed it to. I needto hear more - some of it sounded a little bit like X-Package (which they used before Foxification so it's definitely a possibility), but some of it reminded me of Arnold and some of it had some BBC-esque flourishes. So I definitely want to hear more.

The graphics are simple - really simple. I'm not sure on the Helvetica/Eurostile font combination, but everything else looks simple and clean. Wonder if they're just going to use this for KWGN broadcasts as well.

I saw their stream last night; they definitely changed the music but I don't know what they changed it to. I needto hear more - some of it sounded a little bit like X-Package (which they used before Foxification so it's definitely a possibility), but some of it reminded me of Arnold and some of it had some BBC-esque flourishes. So I definitely want to hear more.

The graphics are simple - really simple. I'm not sure on the Helvetica/Eurostile font combination, but everything else looks simple and clean. Wonder if they're just going to use this for KWGN broadcasts as well.

The Creative Services Director replied to someone on their Facebook page that the music is custom and was done by a Sacramento-based composer who normally does film scores, and that this was his first news music theme. I really like the new music.

He also said that "every pixel" of the new graphics were done in-house. I think that's pretty impressive given how comprehensive it is and how much depth the whole package has. I agree with what you said about the typography, but you have to admit...the way they incorporated that timelapse of the skyline into the graphics is pretty fucking awesome.

I made a video of last night's 9pm. I tried to upload it in HD, but YouTube wasn't cooperating, but here it is anyway:

EDIT: I just saw the 5pm open, and wow. It's much more polished than the 9pm one and has really good footage of the city. Unfortunately, I wasn't recording. :angry:

Guest NewsHound

I love the new music package! It sounds really great, its got a nice memorable theme, and it doesn't sound overused and overdone like most themes out right now. Great job to the Sacramento composer, gives KDVR something nice and unique.

Okay, I REALLY like that music. I knew I wasn't imagining things when I detected a BBC vibe in it. That is a great thing - a LOT more American themes should take cues from that.

Also, seeing the graphics in full (with bug and ticker) does help my impression. It seems a little derivative, but for in house graphics it's a very good effort. It's a nice departure from the Fox O&O motif which I agree is beginning to wear a little thin (I think they need to start changing things up now).

Okay, the new Good Day open and graphics are amazing. The graphics have a lot of orange in them, and the theme is slightly different from the evening theme and sounds more BBC-like. The open is a talent open, but there's hardly any VO in it. The talent are all placed in various parts of downtown Denver It really looks great. Unfortunately, I can't upload my recording, so I'll have to wait until a day when I can do it. :angry:

KWGN is still using the post-Deuce logo and graphics from November, though Nicolas B posted on his blog that KWGN is slated to rebrand later this year (possibly when they get new news sets).

"Everyday" and "Martino TV" are also still using the same graphics, but "

" and "
" have, and those videos are on my YouTube page.

I doubt it since Local TV, LLC has prided themselves and Tribune in making practically all their FOX affiliates have the O&O look for the news operations.

If I recall correctly, WITI still uses the FOX music package, but a completely different graphics package. (I think it's an off-the-shelf one originally developed for Tribune/WSFL by Viz Creative Services.) They even dropped the "The Most Powerful Name in Local News" tagline in favor of "Stories that Matter to You."

In any case, I really like the FOX31 graphics! They're very polished and well done, especially for a completely in-house package.

Music, the majority is fine, but I really don't like the sharp, discordant notes that they use as their "audio trademark" or whatever you want to call it.

I love these graphics. The yellows/blues did show up a little dull but maybe it was just the tuner that captured them? If the colors were just a little sweeter I'd really be a fan.

Very interesting seven-day weather forecast concept. I have always been a fan of the stacked idea, but it's hard to sell to news directors.

Archived