Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

Along with 18 minutes of KIMT's 10pm news in 1994, you get a Buick commercial voiced by Ron Rolland and a commercial for Rod Grams's US Senate campaign (yes, that Rod Grams)!

At the time, then-Spartan sister station WBTW had a similar set with the glass blocks... theirs had shades of purple and amber.

Wow, the whole 10-minute version in one video AND high quality!?

Not to mention the 'you're on' music itself held up damn well after all these years, endearing for a promo campaign. And i'm a fan of some underground/house/tech of 90's type of music.

• Like 3

Tom Snyder on 20/20, Later with Bob Costas, April-May 1989

I still miss Tom Snyder... Settle back, fire up the colortini, and watch the pictures as they fly through the air. Thanks for watching, Everybody.

Godspeed... Tom Snyder. We still miss you.

• Like 1

Two new Chicago clips from FuzzyMemories...

WMAQ's localized version of the Just Watch Us Now campaign, 1982:

WCIU's Stock Market Observer from 1971 (but it could easily be the 1950s):

• Like 3

have you seen WREYtube's clip of "It's My Miami" promotional campaign from '83? (also included is WTVJ News 4 team promo)

Wolfson Archive has posted a WTVJ 2-part news report on the campaign launch, featuring reporter Robyn Carter, later of WNYW's Good Day NY + WCBS-TV.

Even though, debatable, it might have been too cheery even for Miami's taste, given well documented accounts on the city's troubles, it was a baby step compared to the launch of an 'unofficial promo campaign' a year later called...'Miami Vice', which is self explanatory.

Here's another edition of Newservice, also from 1974, but with a different open, set, and theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=WV42op7PcLA;m=6;s=7

I researched online, and that was from September 4, 1974, the same day as the Paul Moyer newscast uploaded a few month ago. Which means the clip uploaded today was the very first newscast with the updated Newservice logo, used until they became NewsCenter4 in March of 1976.

Here is the 6pm Newservice from earlier in the day, with the original interlocking NB-KNBC and box 4 logo from 1968:

• Like 2

From NewsActive3, this might be the earliest local newscast from the D.C. area (only earlier news video from the nation's capital I've run across was some local cut-ins alongside CBS News coverage of the 1968 Indiana primary); a WTOP newscast from July 29, 1968

• Like 2

This is about the fifth set I've seen that has the girders, the monitor banks, the rounded desk, etc. The most infamous one would be KNXV's "spaceship" set, and I've seen similar ones in use at WGNX (during the late indie/early CBS era), WOIO/WUAB (during the "Cleveland Television News" period), and maybe a couple others. Does anybody know who designed all these sets?

• Like 3