Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

The set was updated in 1993...

The new set debuted in September 1992. It was met with derision in the local newspaper, calling it something out of a "Batman" film. It would get replaced in late 1995.

Still too bad we can't find anything with "USA News"...

WSYX trivia: IIRC the executives of Anchor Media, which purchased the station in 1987, were the same people behind Gulf Broadcasting (WTSP, KTSP, WGHP). Anchor also owned KOVR and a few others.

• Like 3

The new set debuted in September 1992. It was met with derision in the local newspaper, calling it something out of a "Batman" film. It would get replaced in late 1995.

Still too bad we can't find anything with "USA News"...

WSYX trivia: IIRC the executives of Anchor Media, which purchased the station in 1987, were the same people behind Gulf Broadcasting (WTSP, KTSP, WGHP). Anchor also owned KOVR and a few others.

The set was refresh in 1996, but a new one was installed in 1997.

• Like 6

Look at this rare find from WESH-TV. Maybe ID Junkie could use this when he gets to Central Florida.

Listen, guys, I’m not gonna do every area. I have a list of areas already written down that I am doing, so please be patient.

Also, I’ve posted it before, but it also takes weeks before I produce compilations, as I have to rummage through NewsActive3’s channel to find footage (as there are A LOT of his Various Newscast Opens compilations). It takes, possibly, up to 5 or 6 weeks.

Also was Anchor Media a new company the Gulf Broadcasting guys formed when Taft bought them? My theory is they used WSYX as the nuclei for that company when Taft sold it off in 1987.

• Like 4

Listen, guys, I’m not gonna do every area. I have a list of areas already written down that I am doing, so please be patient.

Also, I’ve posted it before, but it also takes weeks before I produce compilations, as I have to rummage through NewsActive3’s channel to find footage (as there are A LOT of his Various Newscast Opens compilations). It takes, possibly, up to 5 or 6 weeks.

Also was Anchor Media a new company the Gulf Broadcasting guys formed when Taft bought them? My theory is they used WSYX as the nuclei for that company when Taft sold it off in 1987.

WSYX got the shaft, because it was broken from Taft when the takeover went down. It couldn't be apart of Great American Broadcasting (UGH, which urkes me) due to lost its grandfathered protection of the FCC. Robert Bass was a shareholder when at Taft and he created AnchorMedia and bought then WTVN-TV now WSYX. AnchorMedia also bought WLOS & KOVR as well. It would of been nice if WSYX would at least had been under Great American at that time.

Many people who worked at WSYX told me the reason their woes always run deep was due to ownership. They had their issues with Taft. I remember reading about what Taft thought they did, but people on the inside said there was good and bad with Taft. When AnchorMedia & River City came along it was just business and numbers. Both companies were private equality group. They had no broadcasting history. It was all about numbers, and Sinclair had already owned WTTE, but used WSYX has service because it had an operation. Sinclair thing was to get rid of all the established anchors, because they made too much $$$. Cheaper is better, and that what they did. However, WSYX made alot of money for the company group, and before getting their hands on KOMO, WJLA. Sinclair, was just some regular broadcasting company that wasn't much to crow about. Everything was cheaply done. Now, in present day Sinclair sits as one of the top broadcasting companies. I do wonder what would have ever come of WSYX. There was a time where Nationwide Insurance had a communication division and owned several tv stations i.e. WBAY, WRIC, and WSYX was poised on that list. Also Journal Broadcasting was also interested as well too. Then when stations were switching in the 90s. There was even rumbles that WSYX could switch to FOX, but that kicked down very quickly!

• Like 4

There was even rumbles that WSYX could switch to FOX, but that kicked down very quickly!

I fugured that WSYX almost became "Fox 6 On Your Side", as back in 1994/5 WTTE dropped Fox from their branding and went by TV-28 in preperation of becoming the new ABC affiliate had WSYX switched.

The end of the KNBC Weekend Newservice and an NBC News Special on the "Saturday Night Massacre":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBkUtvYlEH4

• Like 8

WSYX got the shaft, because it was broken from Taft when the takeover went down. It couldn't be apart of Great American Broadcasting (UGH, which urkes me) due to lost its grandfathered protection of the FCC. Robert Bass was a shareholder when at Taft and he created AnchorMedia and bought then WTVN-TV now WSYX. AnchorMedia also bought WLOS & KOVR as well. It would of been nice if WSYX would at least had been under Great American at that time.

Many people who worked at WSYX told me the reason their woes always run deep was due to ownership. They had their issues with Taft. I remember reading about what Taft thought they did, but people on the inside said there was good and bad with Taft. When AnchorMedia & River City came along it was just business and numbers. Both companies were private equality group. They had no broadcasting history. It was all about numbers, and Sinclair had already owned WTTE, but used WSYX has service because it had an operation. Sinclair thing was to get rid of all the established anchors, because they made too much $$$. Cheaper is better, and that what they did. However, WSYX made alot of money for the company group, and before getting their hands on KOMO, WJLA. Sinclair, was just some regular broadcasting company that wasn't much to crow about. Everything was cheaply done. Now, in present day Sinclair sits as one of the top broadcasting companies. I do wonder what would have ever come of WSYX. There was a time where Nationwide Insurance had a communication division and owned several tv stations i.e. WBAY, WRIC, and WSYX was poised on that list. Also Journal Broadcasting was also interested as well too. Then when stations were switching in the 90s. There was even rumbles that WSYX could switch to FOX, but that kicked down very quickly!

Yes, it was very odd that Nationwide Communications (owner of WNCI-FM) never owned any of the Columbus TV stations.

Alan Henry, in his book "A Man and his Medium" talks about the formation of Anchor Media-He was previously one of the top brass at Gulf Broadcasting.

• Like 1

WLEX 18 “Kentucky Sunrise” segment from 1998.

This was a relatively short look used by WLEX beginning in 1998. The refurbished set lasted until 1999 when the station moved into its new building. The graphics lasted until the introduction of LEX 18 News in early 2000.

• Like 1

Just saw-- well done!

Yes, thank you.

In fact, cause she appears at 4:11, I’ll mention that Sue Nigra is currently working at a program in Johnstown, NY called Transitions, which is a “college experience” program for people with disabilities. I’ll be visiting that program this coming weekend for a possible opportunity after I graduate high school.

And I’ve also gotten a playlist started in Milwaukee, too:

Did the 1985 open that features John McCullough accidentally saying “Good night” get taken down? Shame if it did.

• Like 6