Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

revin hatol does that. That open looks more like 1983, and while it does have a common musical signature with 1990, the instrumentation is a little older.

That's video of a stealth bomber, and that wasn't flown until the late 80s.

revin hatol does that. That open looks more like 1983, and while it does have a common musical signature with 1990, the instrumentation is a little older.

That's video of a stealth bomber, and that wasn't flown until the late 80s.

That anchor is Cheryl McHenry and she been at WHIO since '81

More Joplin

KODE 1992 update:

(this is a new one!*)

KODE 1994 promos with another news theme (is this the mythical Interaction?):

*The NMSA (which has a Joplin reliability rating of nearly 0) says this might be a Gari package called Your TV Friend, at least if the dates hold. But I don't think that even exists. (Any coincidence that KSNF was using Turn To resings with the line "Your TV Friend, KSN"?)

For once, new stuff in the NewsActive3 collection. WPBF 1992, a cool WJXT "Program Note" slide, a WTLV 1991 Theme close at 12:35 (which is from 1989!), and a higher-quality cut of the (non-NMSA) KTUU 1990 News Theme are some of the highlights.

For once, new stuff in the NewsActive3 collection. WPBF 1992, a cool WJXT "Program Note" slide, a WTLV 1991 Theme close at 12:35 (which is from 1989!), and a higher-quality cut of the (non-NMSA) KTUU 1990 News Theme are some of the highlights.

That WTLV theme is awesome. Really slick open.

Also, WMTW from 1994 (NMSA error... that means they were using Primetime News before 97)

It may be a KCOY blooper reel, but there's no blooper with a 30-second close cut of the WGHP 1984 News Theme inside and a close cut from another Unknown theme!:

The matching WGHP 1984 theme open is at 6:34 of the second part of the blooper reel:

A director's track cut of WCPO, 1995. With Primetime News:

KPHO. September 1997. 24 Hour News. To say I'm happy is an understatement. This was the latter half of the "Arizona 5 News" era; by now, Paul Turner (not Scott Chapin) was the voice of KPHO. The next year, they'd become CBS 5 News for the first (but not the last) time in their history.

WXIX's midnight newscast (no, really), 1993. This was a brand-new, cutting-edge (TVbD) look for 1993:

KCRA 1990. Whoa, this theme is not in our radar at all? This isn't the Grizzell theme, it's not the 1992 theme, but it's got the WTNCF signature in it...

(It looks like we have some changes in the NMSA. The Grizzell theme may be 1986-88, this 1988-90 going by comments, and sample 3 for the Grizzell theme in the NMSA is another theme altogether for 1990-92. That, and there's another KCRA theme hanging in the NMSA's inbox from 1992 (possibly debuted 1991), when they had gone early prime.)

The videos may be a repost. But today is the 18th anniversary of the devastating and deadly Heat Wave in Chicago. The mercury reached 104° at O'Hare Field and 106° at Midway Airport, with heat indecies at Midway reached a scorching 122°. Here's WBBM's 10pm news open from July 13, 1995. And a follow up special report about the Heat Wave, eight days later on July 21.

Videos Courtesy of GillSB8109 from YT.

Of course last year, Chicago had three straight days of 100+° temperatures (July 4-6), but thanks to the preparedness of Heat Emergency Advisories & Warnings (which they never used until the last day of the heat wave), and many cooling facilities, the fatality levels were greatly reduced.

KCRA 1990. Whoa' date=' this theme is not in our radar at all? This isn't the Grizzell theme, it's not the 1992 theme, but it's got the WTNCF signature in it...

(It looks like we have some changes in the NMSA. The Grizzell theme may be 1986-88, this 1988-90 going by comments, and sample 3 for the Grizzell theme in the NMSA is another theme altogether for 1990-92. That, and there's another KCRA theme hanging in the NMSA's inbox from 1992 (possibly debuted 1991), when they had gone early prime.)

So here's the deal with KCRA themes...

In that clip the pre-show teaser music dates from about 1983/84. There was an open that used it as a basis, and a number of bumper cues. Around 1986 a more majestic set of opens were composed, but the other cues remained.

See here in 1985 the original open

See here in 1987 the pre-show, 1986 open, and bumpers

Then, in 1988 a jazzier package of bumpers was created (seen in the open and close of the 1990 clip) that remained in use until mid 1990 or so, but the 1983/84 pre-show music remained.

Then that 1990-92 package came about, when they went to '24 hour news,' but I think the 1983 pre-show stayed in place.

Finally in 1992 for the early prime shift the package was completely reworked.

It was a great set of cues those 9 years or so...wish they turned up somewhere. In my top 5 of best packages.

Wow, that's a complicated history.

Is this part of the 1990-92 package? Notably this is the only KCRA open between 1983 and 2009 that's lacking the WTNCF signature, excluding the bump at the beginning. It renders the KCRA logo in white on orange, not green on white. It's voiced by Ed Hopkins. I think this might actually be production music.

http://archive.org/details/tobacco_anx27a00

Wow, that's a complicated history.

Is this part of the 1990-92 package? Notably this is the only KCRA open between 1983 and 2009 that's lacking the WTNCF signature, excluding the bump at the beginning. It renders the KCRA logo in white on orange, not green on white. It's voiced by Ed Hopkins. I think this might actually be production music.

http://archive.org/details/tobacco_anx27a00

Yes it probably is production music. Was just used when that 10pm newscast first debuted (it used to be 11pm). Not sure it lasted more than a year.

That set though...I think that went on for a good 8 or 10 years.

From Chuck D's channel; here's a promo for possibly the first airing of CBS' Morning Program train-wreck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpPPJ6KM1R0

It is. It was clipped from a commercial compilation I uploaded a few months back (it appears at 6:59).

Here are a few new clips of interest that I've uploaded...

KTRK Breaking News cut-in from 1990 about a Toxic Cloud at a school

KSNC 2 - Great Bend, KS Station IDs from 1988-89

KPRC - The Scene at Five (Part) 2/10/1989

WGHP's image in the Piedmont NewsChannel era (and well into 1996!) was really cool, possibly one of my favorites ever. TVbD graphics with a custom news theme.

Notably, WGHP was one of the last stations to really change its look to a Fox-esque package (using a Fox logo but TVbD graphics). One of my favorite things about New World in the immediate aftermath of the Fox switch was that its stations still were rather traditional, in some cases changing very little of their news imaging. But Fox thought it "conservative", and the underperformance of the group as a whole was not helping either.

Videos:

KBJR, KDLH and WDIO in 1991. KDLH is using that WFTV 1988 theme, which has yet another "People You Can Count On" theme to it, and WDIO has The Leading Edge: http://archive.org/details/tobacco_swp91f00