Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

WFMY 1988-era open, with VTS's "News Leader". This open is a combo of gorgeous 3D animation coupled with an obvious and not-so-good imitation of TVbD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBgz-K_LqUA (notably, Mary Jane McKittrick had come from KAKE and went from "M. J." to "Mary Jane" as her name)

WJZ 1988 noon open, first wave of Chroma Cues. I don't think I've heard this cut before: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQxGO0g5SAE

A few selections from WRCB anchor David Carroll's YouTube Channel...

1972 WDEF-TV 12 Chattanooga 11 pm newscast

WRCB Chattanooga 1976 local newscast

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwAzOqreFM8

Live at 530 WRCB Chattanooga News Open 1988

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-xf0tvK7EY

There are also a bunch of other promos & clips worth checking as well

Here are a few recent uploads from my YouTube Channel that may be of interest

KAKE News Weekend Edition Tease & Open, 12/3/1989

KTRK 11 PM Late Show Open - 1985

KSNW NewsChannel 3 Kansas Update - 1992

KSNW NewsChannel 3 Nightbeat Open & First Story - 1992

KAUZ Channel 6 Newsbreak - 1/1983

CBS Newsbreak w/ Marlene Sanders - 1/1983

KFDX NewsCenter 3 - "The Class of '82" Promo - 9/1982

KFDX 3 - "NBC - Just Watch Us Now" Promos - 9/1982

KFDX 1992 open with Advantage:

KSWO 1992 open. The theme is "We're Looking Out for You" (NMSA: KFDA 1989). It's really underwhelming, and it looks easily several years old:

WKEF 1984. The theme is KPM's Prestige, Theme 1, as used by KTLA in the late 70s:

WTVC 1982. Dig that circle-9 variant! No open music in evidence...

KSHB 1993 9pm. Yes, KSHB had a newscast as a Fox affiliate. This is something else...it even rivals opens from WBBM and KSAT. The graphic designers should also be shamed for that black and white flickering effect... It may even be a "worst news opens" entrant.

A KLAS-specific version of that "laser cameraman" part of the Tron-inspired syndicated graphics. More noteworthy: Signature News. It seems likely that KLAS was using three news packages at once circa 1988: The News Image from Tuesday and And You and Signature News (which may have been bundled) from Telesound.

And now to my favorite market in the world...Joplin!

KOAM 1986 news update. No music, but this clears up a date question. This was when the station briefly branded as Action (7) News and used TM's Get to Know Us, 1984-86:

KODE bumpers from 1993. This sounds like a news theme:

KOAM 1995 weather promo. This is a cut of the KMOV custom package they were using at this time.

A basket of KODE promos from 1995. Is the news promo at 1:20 using their news theme as background music? It sounds like the one from the 1993 bumpers. Could it be the fabled Interaction?

Not the best' date=' but a very interesting newscast open:

I guess the station was so poor, they couldn't afford W's for their title graphic...

I'm surprised they even showed the anchor smoking into the 70s...

J

This video features a WPCQ (WCNC) open from 1988... can anyone ID this theme? Presumably used from 1988-89

What a treat. I can't identify the theme (and I put some audio gain on it in Audacity to increase the volume).

I'd say this went into 1989. The graphics certainly did.

---

WDBB 1985 open, with JAM's Thematic News Package:

(note the influence from, say, WAGA's early 80s open)

The next year, WDBB decided to enter Birmingham, and the newscast became known as "Alabama's Nine O'Clock News", with a new theme:

A longer version of the 1986 theme for the close:

That is one heck of a cut of the Team to Watch theme. The open graphics are from TVbD (and appear in their 1994 demo).

Those graphics must have debuted in 1993 then... I recall another WSOC open from 93 on Youtube a while back with different graphics.

I love that music! I'd be awesome if clean cuts of it surfaced somewhere.

The retirement of a WMTV anchor from 1992 is cause for a news open. The theme is Network Music's Energy III, first known example of it in TV news:

Also from 1992, I finally found the video for that KAUZ Wall to Wall News open. Heavily based off the CBS affiliate graphics of the era:

I've uploaded a bunch from Wichita in recent days...

-KAKE News "Coverage" Promo - 1985; You can clearly hear Gari's "We'll Take You there" as the music, but it's the only instance I've found of the package being used on the station at this time.

-KAKE News Brief w/ Dave Evans, 12/1985

-KSNW/KSN News Extra w/ Greg Gamer, 12/1985; KSNW had an interesting assortment of music during this time. The unknown theme used for newscasts, TM's "All The News" and Gari's "Turn To" package for promos and image in addition to the occasional use of "Hello News" for image purposes.

-KWCH Eyewitness Newsbreak w/ Julie Becker + Station ID, 12/1985

-KWCH "The Look of a Leader" holiday promo & Station ID, 12/1985

-KWCH Eyewitness News Nightcast Promo & Station ID, 12/1986

-KSNW Holiday Station ID's, 12/1987

-KSNW Channel 3 News Nightbeat Promo, 12/1987

-KSNW Mike Smith Weather Promo, 12/1987; See what I said about "Hello News" just showing up sometimes?

-KSNW/KSN Kansas Update w/ Bob Vernon, 12/1987

-KSN Kansas Update w/ Melissa Beck, 2/1989; Recorded from KSNC - Great Bend

All the KTVQ you could ever want. There are four different new themes for KTVQ here, three of them new to us as well (KTVQ used the WTHI 1985 theme in 1988).

http://www.johninmontana.com/video/video.htm

Each one of the four opens (one 1972/possibly later in the 70s, one 1981, one 1988/WTHI 1985 and one 1990) has something really intriguing. The music from the 70s open could be some of the worst music in history; the 1990 opens begin with a sung jingle "The News Station, KTVQ".

The rest of the site is chock-full of photos of TV from the rest of the country and Montana, too, some of them going back into the 60s and 70s. I even learned a couple things—did you know that KPAX in Missoula, MT, is named for founder Joe Sample's favorite team, the Green Bay Packers?

EDIT: Found the promo that matches the 1990 open. Looks like we know that KTVQ changed opens in 1988:

WISN 1992 10pm:

He has a bunch of other local news stuff taped as an incident to his abortion-focused YT channel, but this is the only complete open he has.

From the David Von Pein channel (pretty much video of all things related to the Presidency of John F. Kennedy; complete with quite a collection of footage of network coverage from the Kennedy assassination); here's a snippet from Nov. 23, 1963 from WBKB (WLS) with Frank Reynolds anchoring

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJWVf2Bhg7g

"From the news center in Phoenix, this is KOOL News 10." 1979, and what a gem this is!

Another international find with no good place. You might recognize the music!

This was produced by Colombia's RCN (back in the days of the layer cake/programadora system) in 1992. The theme music is KPM's 20th Century Revolution, used by KCST c. 1986:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRDAV87DomU

• Like 1

I hate to post again, but our Joplin connection finally dumped some more KSNF on us (repeated but important):

Promos from 1986... I think the music in the first one is from TM's All the News:

...And more material. I think the ID has All the News (again), but here's Turn To showing up all of a sudden:

Much like it seems like KSNW was using Hello, GNP and Turn To at once, I think KSNF was mixing Hello, All the News, Turn To, NS2000 (very limited) and NBC: The Place to Be (for news updates as late as 1994). That's a lot of different music.

Added three uploads today; with two repeats

NEW

1988 WAVY Promo (Daily News; plugging an interview Terry Zahn would do with NASA pilot Kenneth Rieghtler)

RERUN

1989 FOX Promo (Saturday lineup of COPS and The Reporters)

3/19/90 CBS This Morning Clip (Louis Farrakhan interview)