Classic Video Thread (pre-2008)

Jess

That is huge. For 1983 that open exudes the pride that Belo put in WFAA as its flagship.

I have read there was quite a ratings battle circa 1982 with KDFW beating WFAA for a time but by '83 WFAA pulled out in front, and it shows they put in the extra effort.

Last year I hit the jackpot with this:

, now I hit it again out of nowhere:

It's the open to the 1996 Good Day New York Theme with segment featuring 'the greatest with the latest' as Jim Ryan so put it, Miss Lynn Brown. Enjoy.

PS: Two More showcasing the theme: one other open for 'Good Day First Edition':

another is the rejoin at the beginning:

From 1992, here's a single-day montage of First Thing in the Morning, a zany morning show that aired on WMAQ in Chicago in the early 1990s, anchored by Bob Sirott and Allison Rosati:

Bob Sirott later moved to WFLD, where he anchored an equally zany morning show -- called Fox Thing in the Morning.

Whoa! The death of John Lennon: ABC News and KTVK "Eyewitness News", December 8, 1980! This is an absolute treasure of an open!

———

There's also this oddity. It's a short open from WJBK in the late 80s (and for its time, this was really short). I'm not sure whether this is the 1988/89 theme we already have or something else:

Whoa! The death of John Lennon: ABC News and KTVK "Eyewitness News", December 8, 1980! This is an absolute treasure of an open!

Wow! That's really a great find! (Clips of KTVK from the station's ABC era are pretty rare. I didn't even know that KTVK used the WNT theme.)

• Like 1

Wow! That's really a great find! (Clips of KTVK from the station's ABC era are pretty rare. I didn't even know that KTVK used the WNT theme.)

I was tipped off that there was something because an NMSA entry for this appeared. KTVK stuff in general is hard to get, but 1980? That's some of the oldest stuff I've ever seen for the station. This was also a logo treatment I'd never seen before; in the late 70s they used the KIII-style circle 3, and the red one debuted in 1982.

I was tipped off that there was something because an NMSA entry for this appeared. KTVK stuff in general is hard to get, but 1980? That's some of the oldest stuff I've ever seen for the station. This was also a logo treatment I'd never seen before; in the late 70s they used the KIII-style circle 3, and the red one debuted in 1982.

I've seen that logo in some Phoenix edition TV Guides from 1980 or 1981. I think they dropped the KIII-style circle 3 logo when then ditched Total News and adopted the Eyewitness News branding.

Speaking of NMSA, it lists The News Image as KTVK's 1981 theme. Are any clips from that period available online? I don't remember seeing any in NewsActive3's compilations, for instance.

I've seen that logo in some Phoenix edition TV Guides from 1980 or 1981. I think they dropped the KIII-style circle 3 logo when then ditched Total News and adopted the Eyewitness News branding.

Speaking of NMSA, it lists The News Image as KTVK's 1981 theme. Are any clips from that period available online? I don't remember seeing any in NewsActive3's compilations, for instance.

If there was anything it was probably from Jim Heath, whose collection disappeared and has since been (partly/mostly) replaced.

I do have something new. How does a whole goodbye special from 2002 sound? Starts with three news opens from KCMT/KNMT, later KCCO/KCCW, originally the NBC affiliates and later the CBS satellites for central and northern Minnesota?

. I suspect the first one is an NBC News ticker from the late 70s.

———

Some more interesting stuff:

An AFRTS newscast from Incirlik, Turkey, 1985:

And more military TV material from the Korean branch, in the mid-1990s. Don't get caught off guard, there's unexpected cuts of Broadcast News from Non-Stop in here too!? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89NtAFqBgXk

———

I really don't want to repost, but this is where those KHGI Advantage opens came from. A bunch of NTV newscasts with director's track, 1998-2000:

These newscasts really bring into relief how TVbD's 2000 redesign of the station was a massive upgrade.

I do have something new. How does a whole goodbye special from 2002 sound? Starts with three news opens from KCMT/KNMT, later KCCO/KCCW, originally the NBC affiliates and later the CBS satellites for central and northern Minnesota?

. I suspect the first one is an NBC News ticker from the late 70s.

That's WAPI/WVTM in Birmingham, a good 1,200 miles from central Minnesota.

That's WAPI/WVTM in Birmingham, a good 1,200 miles from central Minnesota.

Eek! Whoops:

You might understand why I posted that one instead because KCMT/KNMT used the same theme. It's probably some NBC News ticker theme from the late 70s.

KCCO/KCCW's Alexandria, MN-produced news was cut back to inserts and then eliminated in 2000.

If KCMT isn't your thing, how about

?

Here's a real treat: a tour from the 1960's of the WBOC studios in Salisbury. The title says it is from the early 1960's, but I think it's later than that. The Salisbury Mall did not open until 1968. Late 60s/early 70s is probably more accurate. Amazingly the TV station is still in the same building today, but it is has been renovated and added on to several several times, most recently in 2008. And the radio stations have long since moved out and are now owned by the Sinclair of radio (Clear Channel) under different callsigns.

It's interesting to see how much has changed, both in the industry overall and at that station, over a forty year span.

He's got more:

WBNS, 9/22/87:

WLWT, 11/04/84:

WLWT, 7/20/84:

(morning update, and signed!)

WLWT, 11/04/82: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7z59uS-uI4

WKRC, 1982 bloopers with The News Image (open at 2:15). 1981 isn't the correct year for this footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPH3IN4Hnjg

WDIV, 1990 (24 Hour News Beat):

Just found an interesting spot from Sportbuff99TV1's channel. Apparently, a CNN Sports Tonight broadcast had a piece in which was covering the NFL not allowing the Cincinnati Bengals' Bengal tiger mascots Benzoo (the name of both tigers) to accompany the team to Miami for Super Bowl XXIII.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXisAEx8llo

Pieces of Phoenix newscasts tagging along other recordings are awesome:

The late Bill Denney with sports and the close to KPNX's Action News, December 1985. At 4:55 is a fantastic bumper cut of Hello News, and at 7 minutes in the close from the We're Going Where You're Going theme (whoa, was not expecting that this early!): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCD8ZgqjWp4

And there's a KPHO news/weather update with Stu Tracey at the start of this clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9K3HdpYlPPg

And a KPHO promo at the end of this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkwzWLUa0_4

The KPNX close is significant because I didn't know they were phasing in the We're Going Where You're Going campaign in 1985—but they were. Of course the next year KPNX would rebrand its newscasts, hire Patti Kirkpatrick and Bill Austin, and begin using the theme for opens.

There's all sorts of stuff.

C-SPAN ran the Soviet evening news like clockwork: the final edition of "TV Inform" produced in the Soviet Union and the first one after the dissolution of the USSR are among the ones in their library. The next month, C-SPAN picked up the replacement program "News 1" (with a cool channel logo), and C-SPAN continued to air the Russian news regularly into 1996. (The set, open and music changed completely by August, and by 1994 they were much more polished. They got even better in 1995 with a rename back to "Vremya".) They also ran other international newscasts on occasion: here's a Croatian program in 1994, a Japanese program in 1996 (nice open music and crazy news format) and a Chinese program in English from 1997.

Looking for something more domestic, perhaps? C-SPAN liked WMUR excerpts as the New Hampshire primary neared one from January 1992. There are also good chunks of newscasts from KMOV (1992) and KSDK (1993).