PIX11 DEBUTING A NEW SET TOMORROW MORNING

nynewslover

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This morning Suki and Frances announced they were really making progress on the studio and in a couple of weeks they will bring the news in a way that is "fresh and innovative" and they are changing the studio cause viewers "like and need change"

This morning Suki and Frances announced they were really making progress on the studio and in a couple of weeks they will bring the news in a way that is "fresh and innovative" and they are changing the studio cause viewers "like and need change"

Crap.

Are they serious about that?

I've seen those textured panels on other sets before, but can't remember where. I think they're a Devlin thing? Maybe they're doing the new set?

The yellow sand dune panels? KSWB uses those sand dunes and it was designed by BDI

The yellow sand dune panels? KSWB uses those sand dunes and it was designed by BDI

Now that you mention BDI, the set I was thinking of was KLAS. Unfortunately, on closer inspection, the WPIX panels look more like the FX group version than the BDI version.

This morning they were taking about the new set and how it will be ready soon.. Linda Church said the end of the week.. But Sukanya said "I don't know..maybe..we will have to wait and see." but from what the described there is going to be alot of big screens and plasmas..

here is a VERY BRIEF view of the set.. http://www.tout.com/m/6jwsyf

Another unique, innovative, fresh design from FX Group!!!

Is it just me, or is this a massive downgrade from what they had? They had a large, nice multipurpose area. They got a tiny, bland stand up area that is being used in like 754657871 other markets.

Here is something interesting i found on PIX11s facebook page

Viewer Comment: I hope you know all your news changes over the last year or so are alienating your viewers... idiotic VR sets and robo anchors... We want to watch someone tell us the news. Not watch some video game... Have you ever tried watching someone play a videogame?

PIX11 Response:After you watch the newscast with the new set tomorrow, please let us know if you are feeling the same way.

Is PIX finally starting to listen to their viewers? Maybe! But they are a year late now!

It seems like they do have a larger LCD to the left of the news desk, (or to the right from our camera view).

And no more countdown of stories (good), but also no more green screen?

It's not bad, it's a nice update. I guess the trend if to have more white in the studio, as evident by WPIX's and WCBS's new set. It does seem WPIX's set matches their morning graphics well.

Most of the set is actually okay. I will say this: parts of it feel very small-market for NYC.

[ATTACH]1059.IPB[/ATTACH][ATTACH]1058.IPB[/ATTACH][ATTACH]1060.IPB[/ATTACH][ATTACH]1061.IPB[/ATTACH]

THIS is the area they should be doing the news from. (Note the roll-down chroma wall hanging above it)

[ATTACH]1062.IPB[/ATTACH]

The weather area is awful. It looks like they just stopped designing it halfway through. The monitor looks out of place.

[ATTACH]1055.IPB[/ATTACH]

This looks like nothing on TV anywhere right now! :rolleyes: It's also got a huge beam running through part of it...

[ATTACH]1054.IPB[/ATTACH][ATTACH]1063.IPB[/ATTACH]

What is up with the production values? Graphics out of safe zones and when they came back from this package the floor director was counting down... And now the anchor is reading as if the prompter is written in spanish...

[ATTACH]1056.IPB[/ATTACH]

WPIX5.png.85506361e487ba9ff2315411853d75d3.png

WPIX4.png.70de7adfff1adb9529bd64d1a48098cf.png

WPIX1.png.fd3cc5ab7148ae89bea114e86f43a94c.png

WPIX3.png.9dda867b46141514722887bfa25763fb.png

WPIX2.png.79f7d1a86cd2f3e4ddad40bce73fcf32.png

WPIX6.png.2cf0dd25bc963fddfe0851ea6ca8ca84.png

WPIX7.png.4e65f9e6c472595e6f729360304bb4ea.png

WPIX8.png.66e561da0108233a71672ae32623108e.png

WPIX9.png.0f7595021e2d38b89d8b96ec6fd4643a.png

I'm definitely OK with what I've seen so far. I hardly think this is the final positioning, lighting,

camera work etc. I'm sure they'll be refining that, because they need to! Wide shots revealed

a pull down green screen (I think) behind the main center. That probably has to get repositioned;

I can't see them going full screen for weather every time. Now thatthe anchors are up and walking,

they should never have Frances standing next to Sukanya the behemoth, overpowering in too many

ways next to the petite Frances.

Finally, a set without the familiar NYC backdrop. How many stations are going to keep using

that theme? We get it, it's NYC no matter what angle or bridge you take it from. That's why all the fawning over

Wcbs was curious to me. What did they do? Their studio, angles, centers etc are exactly

the same; nothing changed- all they did was reupholstered the furniture, tweaked some colors and apparently

enhanced lighting. Sets are overrated as someone mentioned above. They are a good excuse for consultants

to earn money then make a station spend money to do it. In focus groups, less than 5% of respondents take

notice of a set. An anchor's look and presentation always score highest, then news content. Like all homeowners,

I can understand the need and desire to freshen up the surroundings; we all like new stuff but it should never

be used specifically to increase ratings.

Now Wabc I liked because that was a demolition and total new re construction. Excellent lines, views

use of the studio etc. Kudos to them. It gets the people involved, especially by sending Lee outdoors

for weather.

It'll be interesting to see PIX's plans for their 5 and 10 and weekend news. Was the studio just built

for the morning?

Archived