WABC - 7 Eyewitness News

Smitha A

Agreed.

There is no indication that we will soon but when Bill Ritter retires, I'd like David to replace Bill at 6 and Rob to replace Bill at 11.

Then you have...

Liz and David at 4&6

Diana and Sade at 5

Sade and Rob at 11

That's assuming Diana still doesn't want to do the 11.

-

On another note, I don't like whomever is doing these voice overs.

It's almost certain that David will replace Bill on the 6 & 11. Rob would maybe get the 4, however they could also have David do the 4, 6, and 11

like Jim Rosenfield does now in Philly. I would love for Diana to return to 11, but I doubt she wants to.

It's almost certain that David will replace Bill on the 6 & 11. Rob would maybe get the 4, however they could also have David do the 4, 6, and 11

like Jim Rosenfield does now in Philly. I would love for Diana to return to 11, but I doubt she wants to.

And I doubt they would team her with Sade at 11.

I don't think Bill's planning to retire anytime soon. But, when he does, you guys really think David will replace him? I think David fits well for a morning or afternoon show (i.e. in his current role or replacing Ken), but I have a hard time envisioning him as the anchor who is the face of the station's news coverage. Even Rob Powers fits that role better, I think.

Also, don't forget about Rob Nelson. Who knows what'll happen with him down the road.

I don't think Bill's planning to retire anytime soon. But, when he does, you guys really think David will replace him? I think David fits well for a morning or afternoon show (i.e. in his current role or replacing Ken), but I have a hard time envisioning him as the anchor who is the face of the station's news coverage. Even Rob Powers fits that role better, I think.

Also, don't forget about Rob Nelson. Who knows what'll happen with him down the road.

I think they have bigger plans for Rob Nelson than weekend mornings.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I'm really not a fan of Ken Rosato.. I always hoped Phil Lipof would get the weekday morning but that obviously didn't/won't happen. I would really like to see David in the mornings.. Then rob Powers at 4

My guess is, with the opportunity (when Bill leaves) they will try to minimize the amount of teams they have (ala KABC). Even going from 4 teams to 3 helps lower the marketing budget.

And I doubt they would team her with Sade at 11.

There is no reason that they would't except that she doesn't want to do the 11.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I'm really not a fan of Ken Rosato.. I always hoped Phil Lipof would get the weekday morning but that obviously didn't/won't happen. I would really like to see David in the mornings.. Then rob Powers at 4

The only way Ken goes is if they are no longer #1 or if he wants to leave.

I think they have bigger plans for Rob Nelson than weekend mornings.

For now, I don't think so. Anything they could do with Rob, they would have been very happen to do with Phil.

There is no reason that they would't except that she doesn't want to do the 11.

Sure there is. They won't pair two women (or two men for that matter) at 11pm in the biggest television market on the number one station. It works at 5pm because the audience is different at that time.

Sure there is. They won't pair two women (or two men for that matter) at 11pm in the biggest television market on the number one station. It works at 5pm because the audience is different at that time.

If it was an anchor new to NY, I might agree but Diana is one of NY's most known and loved anchors and Diana and Sade are 100% NY. I think the days are gone (or at least few and far between) that two women can not anchor the late news. And if there is one thing we know about WABC, its that they are not afraid to be different.

Going back to what I was saying though, if Diana wants to do the 11, she would replace Bill (whenever he leaves) on the 11. The question is does she want to and if the past says anything, no, she doesn't want to.

I mean I think we're discussing something that isn't likely for at least a few years but I agree they'd probably bring it down to three teams. First of all I really don't think Diana would go back to the 11.. But I don't know.. You have to remember the New York news isn't the same on any channel anymore.. Most have new younger ppl coming in.. It's the start of a new generation here.. I don't see why David couldn't be the lead male anchor in the future because unless the other stations get someone else by then he's still the strongest.. But anyway why not this? By the way.. Who ever said Bill would be the first to leave?

4,6 David and Liz

5 Diana and Sade

11 David and Sade

I mean I think we're discussing something that isn't likely for at least a few years but I agree they'd probably bring it down to three teams. First of all I really don't think Diana would go back to the 11.. But I don't know.. You have to remember the New York news isn't the same on any channel anymore.. Most have new younger ppl coming in.. It's the start of a new generation here.. I don't see why David couldn't be the lead male anchor in the future because unless the other stations get someone else by then he's still the strongest.. But anyway why not this? By the way.. Who ever said Bill would be the first to leave?

4,6 David and Liz

5 Diana and Sade

11 David and Sade

David doing 2 hours on air? I don't know about that.

4,6 David and Liz

5 Diana and Sade

11 David and Sade

Unless Rob leaves, how about bumping him to anchor at 4? He's been vying for the position of anchor.

• Like 1

Andy Field reported live tonight on the 11. What's up with that? Haven't seen him on EWN in years, and even back then it was a short stint. Maybe too many people are on vacation and he's just freelancing again?

Thats my guess, I think he did some freelancing at EWN last year for 2 or 3 weeks.

Andy Field reported live tonight on the 11. What's up with that? Haven't seen him on EWN in years, and even back then it was a short stint. Maybe too many people are on vacation and he's just freelancing again?

He usually does some freelance work for WABC during the holidays to help cover for all the vacations taking place.

Hey, and Merry Christmas to the TVNT group here!

Anchoring on Christmas Day will be Bill, Stacey Sager, and Lee. Stacey hasn't anchored in years. Normally it'd be Bill, Lee, and Lauren Glassberg, but she's on maternity leave.

For someone who hasn't taken a seat at the anchor desk in years, Stacey Sager hit nothing but home runs this morning. News delivery was perfect, the witty banter with coanchors was just right, and she honed in with the precise mixture of personality and professionalism required for the situation. Following today's stint, WABC-TV would be foolish to not contemplate putting her on the anchor desk more often. This newscast was MUCH more enjoyable than those in years past with Ms. Glassberg. Those lacked the harmony that was obviously present this morning.

Did anyone catch this morning's christmas newscast with the viewer letters, taped it or dvr'd it? I missed it but I wondered if anyone of you here can recall highlights?

No unusual highlights. Pretty much the same Christmas morning newscast that WABC-TV has produced since 2001.

The top story covered in all half-hours except for the 6:30AM was the hours-old multiple shooting at an Irvington, New Jersey strip club which resulted in three fatalities.

On the lighter side, Bill Ritter brought back his usual humorous quip that "Goldberg, Sager, and Ritter" might sound more like an accounting or law firm, but that they were just WABC-TV news anchors. And there were the usual viewer letters praising the newscast and its anchors, advocating for peace in the world and toward each other, remembering deceased or ill relatives, and letters of praise from Bob Iger and other ABC News brass. There was also a letter from the Queen of England.

Toni Yates and Tim Fleischer anchoring EWN at 6 (and I presume 11) tonight, with Andy Field doing the lead story. Talk about calling in the reserves! Toni's been behind the desk a lot the past few days. I haven't seen Tim anchor in years.

Edit: They work well together. Tim is really good.

It looks like Lori Stokes is doing EWN at Noon for a whole hour until 1. For some reason they're not doing "Who Wants To Be a Millionare". Strange.

DeBlasio had a news conference or something they were covering.. They might just be doing a regular newscast the rest of the hour to get the news and weather in