WABC - 7 Eyewitness News

Smitha A

I have a feeling they are going to fill it with some combination of Jeopardy/Wheel/Millionaire second showings.

What about an hour of Millionaire at 3 (double showings are fairly common in many markets), and expand the noon news to an hour?

What about an hour of Millionaire at 3 (double showings are fairly common in many markets), and expand the noon news to an hour?

If they go the game show way, I think Millionaire will be part of the move and the news will be expanded at noon. Millionaire is #1 in its timeslot and Eyewitness News at Noon is #1, maybe Millionaire can have its same luck at 3pm (against Dr. Phil & Steve Harvey). They can beat Steve with Millionaire at 3pm, Dr. Phil... it'll be close.

Let me ask a follow up,

why is storm coverage necessary at 8am but not at 7am? WABC did the same thing for the most recent snow storms.

You could argue just as many people wanted information at 7am when GMA was on.

Why not just move GMA to their sub channel 7.2?

It looks like they're doing First@4:00 from the newsroom today. New backdrop. They were doing the news from the studio this morning, so I don't know why they're doing this.

Never mind, for whatever reason, they just used a different BG and stayed on a tight shot of David and Liz; I'm not sure if this was due to technical problems.

Maybe WABC can fill the 3pm time period with this? http://www.cbstvd.com/press_release_detail.aspx?newsID=258

Doubt it. Says it's been sold to the CBS Television Stations and Tribune too. While I don't see WCBS picking it up, I see it likely ending up on WLNY, and if not, then on WPIX.

I still think at this point the extra hour will be filled with some sort of Millionaire/Wheel/Jeopardy second showings combination, probably for a year, until they find something more permanent.

• 2 weeks later...

I must ask, is everything alright with Lori Stokes? It seems like she's off at least once or twice a week nowadays. I hope she's alright.

Lori Stokes presents well as an anchor and is an asset to the EWN morning team. She flubs words on occasion, but it isn't anything overly significant. It has been said that she has a very good agent (most major market on-air talent have agents), and her contracts are carefully negotiated to her benefit. She earns a very good salary, is not required to report from the field, has limited fill-in requirements, and paid benefits and vacations.

None of this would be possible without the overall positive revenue generated by the station in AM drive.

I do not think she is unwell or that anything is wrong. She is probably just taking some more time off.

Lori Stokes presents well as an anchor and is an asset to the EWN morning team. She flubs words on occasion, but it isn't anything overly significant. It has been said that she has a very good agent (most major market on-air talent have agents), and her contracts are carefully negotiated to her benefit. She earns a very good salary, is not required to report from the field, has limited fill-in requirements, and paid benefits and vacations.

None of this would be possible without the overall positive revenue generated by the station in AM drive.

I do not think she is unwell or that anything is wrong. She is probably just taking some more time off.

I think this is the reason a lot of anchors are off constantly. I feel like either Kristine Johnson or Maurice Dubois are off at least once a week at WCBS. Actually, I notice this is a trend with a lot of news anchors and how they get lots of time off and vacation time. The only anchors that I feel never get off are the anchors at WPIX, with the exception of Sukanya, she's usually off or 'under the weather' like once a week. This makes sense, as WPIX tends not do well at all during all of their newscasts.

I must ask, is everything alright with Lori Stokes? It seems like she's off at least once or twice a week nowadays. I hope she's alright.

She is fine, she is on vacation. It is a common practice at the end of a sweeps period for many anchors to take off because they are not allowed to take off in February, May, July and November so it condenses when they can be off to just 8 months rather than 12.

She earns a very good salary, is not required to report from the field, has limited fill-in requirements, and paid benefits and vacations.

I am not disputing anything you said, I am just doing to dissect some of it.

"She is not required to report from the field" Not many anchors are though. The only time most of the anchors do, is when there is a big news even like Newtown, Lori Stokes was live the next morning from Newtown. Tom Llamas, Rob Schmitt and the other few are a select few and those are special circumstances.

"has limited fill-in requirements" She is the lead fill-in for Sade Baderinwa and often fills in for Liz Cho. This was at her request though.

Besides that, everything else you said is pretty straight forward. You gain a good salary, paid benefits and vacations as you gain seniority which she has certainly earned by now. She is New York's Katie Couric -- New York's Sweetheart.

Lori Stokes has been the morning anchor at WABC for almost 15 years now. I think she's earned the right to a 1 week vacation every now and then, seven figure contract, benefits, etc.

Did eyewitness news get rid of their livestream? I noticed there's a message that says "We are sorry, but the URL you requested could not be found. The page you are looking for may have been renamed, moved, or deleted." IDK, but I hope not, I rely on livestreams to get my news!

Did eyewitness news get rid of their livestream? I noticed there's a message that says "We are sorry' date=' but the URL you requested could not be found. The page you are looking for may have been renamed, moved, or deleted." IDK, but I hope not, I rely on livestreams to get my news![/size']

I'm still getting it here: http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/live

Did eyewitness news get rid of their livestream? I noticed there's a message that says "We are sorry, but the URL you requested could not be found. The page you are looking for may have been renamed, moved, or deleted." IDK, but I hope not, I rely on livestreams to get my news!

I went there to check not long after the above post was made, that specific page was down earlier. Looks like the problem was fixed.

Ok, there are a lot of red flags going off right now. Rob is co anchoring with Liz at 6pm right now and Laura is doing sports. This never happens. Bill or Liz usually solo when the other is out. Very, VERY odd. Could this be in prep for Bill retiring, could this be because NBC 4 doesn't solo at 6 anymore? Either way, very odd.