WABC - 7 Eyewitness News

Smitha A

I saw the thing live when it happened...they were real quick to cut to the video package.

I'm kinda surprised at this point, especially given what happened with WDBJ, plus every dumbass with a smartphone wanting to be a social media star, that some of these stations don't have a security guard accompany the reporters on live shots.

The last time WABC had in-field security was during the 1998/1999 ABC lockout. Security cost money, and they also need transportation cuz you really don't want big fat bubba stinking up the live truck, and taking the jump seat.

And to be totally realistic...

The cabbies and delivery drivers of NYC and most big cities put up with 10 times the bullshit that a TV reporter does.

You don't see them asking for private security.

Lets face it...

The WDBJ shooter would have NOT been stopped by an unarmed security guard. The guard would have been a victim also.

And let me save you all from the argument about un-armed security guards and TV stations....

A station would NEVER assign an armed guard to a regular security detail for the fear that they would shoot someone.

LIABILITY my friends.

• Like 1

The last time WABC had in-field security was during the 1998/1999 ABC lockout.

ABC lockout? What happened? I've never heard of such an incident. (

during the 1991 Crown Heights riots where the microwave mast snapped off a live truck.)
  • Like 1

ABC lockout? What happened? I've never heard of such an incident. (
during the 1991 Crown Heights riots where the microwave mast snapped off a live truck.)

Disney locked out all NABET/CWA union workers in the winter of 1998. All ABC O&O's

It was a giant friggin, messy long labor dispute.

Guest Former Member 207
The last time WABC had in-field security was during the 1998/1999 ABC lockout. Security cost money, and they also need transportation cuz you really don't want big fat bubba stinking up the live truck, and taking the jump seat.

And to be totally realistic...

The cabbies and delivery drivers of NYC and most big cities put up with 10 times the bullshit that a TV reporter does.

You don't see them asking for private security.

Lets face it...

The WDBJ shooter would have NOT been stopped by an unarmed security guard. The guard would have been a victim also.

And let me save you all from the argument about un-armed security guards and TV stations....

A station would NEVER assign an armed guard to a regular security detail for the fear that they would shoot someone.

LIABILITY my friends.

I get your point, and I wouldn't use security for every live shot anyway. Believe me, I ride public transportation everyday...I've seen first-hand passengers get into fights with each other or with the bus drivers, and it's sometimes worse in my particular line of business (I work for a local government agency, for the record). And worse yet, I almost involved in an altercation last weekend while I was with a friend visiting a store...it almost got to the point where the friend almost went to jail. To say the least, it was one of the more hostile situations I've been involved maybe ever.

Disney locked out all NABET/CWA union workers in the winter of 1998. All ABC O&O's

It was a giant friggin, messy long labor dispute.

http://www.nytimes.com/1998/11/03/nyregion/abc-workers-stage-24-hour-strike-lockout-is-response.html

(NY Times, November 1998)

http://articles.latimes.com/1999/jan/16/business/fi-63971

(LA Times, January 1999)

I distinctively remember this when it happened originally.

WABC dealt with crew security concerns from the unions in the years right after 9/11. One of the agreements they came up with then, was that all Live shots after dark or before sunrise would require two photographers. That way, during the actual "live shot" one photographer could focus on being Live and the other could keep his eye on the surroundings. That eventually went away.

And the question about whether to pursue charges isn't WABC's decision. It's the reporter's, since he was the one assaulted. Whether it happened on company time or not is irrelevant. It was an assault on him as a person. It's happened before and in the past WABC has supported whatever decision the employee makes, including making all company resources available.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
A somewhat of a rarity regarding programming on 7 tonight.

Tonight is the airing of The Ten Commandments on ABC, which the network will air at 7pm/ET. That's no rarity. But the rarity is that WABC is pushing the movie one hour later to 8pm, because it's schedule to air an hour-long Auto Show special at 7pm.

That means (because of the length of the movie (with ads)) the late news will be aired at 12:44am!!!

I don't think I've remembered the station airing news this late, and it didn't involve a sporting event.

So it's happening again tonight. The "super"-late news will be aired at 12:45am.

Guess this will be a common occurance as long they have the rights to the auto show special.

So it's happening again tonight. The "super"-late news will be aired at 12:45am.

Guess this will be a common occurance as long they have the rights to the auto show special.

And FOX5 pre records their news if they have to go on at 11 lmao

• 3 weeks later...
What happened to Diana Rocco? She was their go to reporter on mornings and I'm guessing she got bumped up to afternoons/evenings?

Diana Rocco was one of the per diem freelance reporters with WABC that they have several of. No guarantees because I don't have insider knowledge, but I bet her contract ended.