Hurricane Sandy News Coverage

Vlad

So with the impending storm coming, I guess we could use this thread for upcoming information about this impending historic storm. Just so you guys know Hurricane Sandy is a storm of massive proportions, worse than Irene and worse than many storms that we've dealt with in recent history. Although the storm is merely a category one storm and may not even be a hurricane by the time it gets here, the problem is that the storm is merging with another strong frontal boundary moving in at the same time resulting in a dangerous Nor'easter. This will likely cause millions of dollars in damages as it is affecting a large portion of the United States. The Nation's capital is expected to get hit hard along with coastal portions of Delaware and etc. This is also the worst case scenario due to the fact that the storm's right hand side will be pushing all of the water up the coast due to the interaction with the full moon and along with the positioning of the storm. The storm will be situated in the southwestern side of the tri-state area allowing the winds to blow from the south west, rising the water levels. And we all know that its the water that is the worst enemy with any storm. Any flooding of any type is truly the worst case scenario because standing water is a threat to one's health, property and environment.

Anyway my guess is that stations will gradually provide ongoing coverage of the event as the storm gets closer and closer. The storm is expected to arrive here on Monday and last through Wednesday.. So three days, I hope we have a good Halloween, lol. How do you guys think our stations will cover the storm and aside from the news, how are you guys preparing for it?

WPIX has the least amount of coverage today.

They stayed with infomercials instead of showing the NY State Governor's press conference.

Did they show the NYC Mayor's press conference or have any coverage today?

FOX5 did not show the NY State Governor's press conference, it was on MY9.

After the NFL Pre Game Show FOX5 started live coverage.

WPIX is using News12 NJ for coverage of the NJ Governor's press conference at 1:52pm.

Odd they don't have a crew there all the other local broadcast channels are there.

WLNY is airing CBS programming and CBS News updates on their ticker. WNET aired the President's speech around noon for a hour using NJToday, so did WXTV (UNI) and WNJU (TEL). WABC is airing ABC programming on 7.2, and RNN is airing FiOS 1 (I don't which one)

I've been with FOX 5 all day so far here's who they've had on..

The regular AM teams

At 11 am Dave left and Ernie came in

At about 1 Rosanna left and Dari came in

At 3 Greg came in

idk about the evening newscasts cause the tv went out

When I got it back at about 7:50 it was Greg with Ernie idk when it started but Rosanna said that Dave would be back "early" in the morning.

I guess all stations will be going over night? Also should say I've seen a little bit of PIX and the anchor pairings I saw weren't 1/2 bad.

WLNY is airing CBS programming and CBS News updates on their ticker. WNET aired the President's speech around noon for a hour using NJToday, so did WXTV (UNI) and WNJU (TEL). WABC is airing ABC programming on 7.2, and RNN is airing FiOS 1 (I don't which one)

WNBC is airing NBC primetime on 4.2/Nonstop.

As a proud weather fanatic type geek, I've been watching them all. From an actual weather point of view and the forecasters, there is no doubt that 7's Lee Goldberg and team are very strong. I think the Gregory and Puente is good (Nick is better); the weak link in meteorology is Mike Woods but he had his producer on a few times, an attractive and apparently smart and knowledgeable young lady named Carly Mucola (sp?)

I find Janice Huff on 4 too ho- hum, it's a storm, all the time but Chris Cimino is tops on that team. Newlly aquired Steve Villauiva from channel 11 is no real attraction to get viewers to

switch over but he's far better than Domenica Davis in every aspect. At 11, it was Craig Allen all weekend, then he teamed with Mr G later on Sunday. Linda Church has been exceptionally strong the past few weekday mornings. Emmy winner Lonnie Quinn on cbs2 must pay off the committee to win those things but he was giving good info and Vanessa Murdoch is probably the strongest on that team. John Elliot seems like a nice guy but a goof and doesn't draw me in for weather info. Meanwhile, Elise Finch also seems to know her stuff but she has to learn to breathe and talk at the same time and

I know it's silly but I find it distracting and disturbing and can't watch.

As for the actual forecast, they all hit it dead on since it was a well predicted storm of epic proportions.

The most interesting combination during this coverage is Greg and Ernie.. Dari must be out today cause Juliet Huddy was on with both Ernie and Greg this afternoon and Ernie and Greg are back together at 5. Also note Tamsen Fadal has been on non stop all day.. She was on all morning with Suki and now all afternoon with Jodi.

A KNBC reporter is reporting for WNBC in Brewster/Westchester with a KNBC flag.

O&O stations from other markets covering the hurricane aftermath are also pitching in to help their New York sister stations which are stretched thin right now. WCBS has someone from WFOR in Miami reporting for them.

Archived