WXMI FOX 17 debuts new graphics/music

DextonNova

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The new theme is apparently Trust, the inthegroovemusic package that was first commissioned by WXMI's sister station KCPQ-KZJO.

I saw the live stream, they also pointed out that WXMI has a new set for its newscasts as well.

Yeah I became very fond for the last music package, too bad it had to go with the graphics.

There must be a new on-air graphics system they are using for all the on air stuff, it looks like the staff it still learning how to use it, some of the on air elements appear even during commercial breaks.

I like it. It's a fully developed package with nice transitions between graphics elements, and it meshes well with the FOX brand.

Not that impressed with the bit of the set I saw in that YouTube clip, though.

• 2 months later...

Bumping this thread with some info on the graphics used by WXMI (and WXIN as well). As I posted in the Shoutbox, it's an in-house job done by Tribune West Creative.

http://brief.promaxbda.org/content/brand-rebrand-tribunes-fox-affiliated-stations

The entire package was designed to be implemented at all of Tribune's Fox stations, and may be applied to the FoxCo stations they just acquired via their purchase of Local TV LLC.

No wonder I kept seeing this influx of new promos at KSWB. I would have never guessed that they came from Tribune West Creative. I thought that they were made by Hothaus, that's how good some of these spots were. Trib West Creative put up a few of their works on their vimeo page...

http://vimeo.com/69508277

Also, I noticed that WXIN dropped the FOX O&O theme for the theme that is being used at KCPQ in Seattle.

Bumping this thread with some info on the graphics used by WXMI (and WXIN as well). As I posted in the Shoutbox, it's an in-house job done by Tribune West Creative.

http://brief.promaxbda.org/content/brand-rebrand-tribunes-fox-affiliated-stations

The entire package was designed to be implemented at all of Tribune's Fox stations, and may be applied to the FoxCo stations they just acquired via their purchase of Local TV LLC.

I wouldn't be surprised.

KTVI uses the same graphics that WXIN used until recently. They are long overdue for a new graphics package (used since 2009). These would look great for them.

The current Local TV and Tribune Fox stations graphics look very dated/cheap and were basically a knockoff of the old Fox graphics package (looking at WJW, KSWB, etc.)

One thing that I'm curious is what will happen with KCPQ. I'm not sure this package would work for Q13.

If it works with VizRT, I'll be happy. :awesome:

But, we have enough problems with people confusing us with KSHB; I'm not sure a red-white-blue package, which Scripps also uses, will help that situation.

If it works with VizRT, I'll be happy. :awesome:

But, we have enough problems with people confusing us with KSHB; I'm not sure a red-white-blue package, which Scripps also uses, will help that situation.

Orange, white and blue, I'll have you know! *Sarcasm*

But, we have enough problems with people confusing us with KSHB

Easy. You're the station that manages to do pretty well in the ratings and wasn't stupid enough to give up some prime syndicated programming for some cheap syndicated programming.

Seriously though, are there still people who are still confused about the NBC/FOX affiliation switch?

Easy. You're the station that manages to do pretty well in the ratings and wasn't stupid enough to give up some prime syndicated programming for some cheap syndicated programming.

Seriously though, are there still people who are still confused about the NBC/FOX affiliation switch?

YES! OH MY GOD. Both stations are STILL called by viewers complaining about some programming that's actually on the opposite station or complaining about the news service provided by the opposite stations and they have to refer them to the other ones. My theory on the matter is that since WDAF is on channel 4 and KSHB is on channel 41, people are seeing the 4 and forgetting the affiliation. The fonts also look similar. I also don't think it helps that KSHB's chief weather guy used to be over at WDAF.

That would be a shame, as I think KDVR's graphics are superior to those. I don't think every Fox affiliate necessarily needs a Fox-ish look, especially in center-left markets such as Denver.

It's an interesting point. This rebranding is better suited for those Fox stations that retained the O&O appearance (WXIN, WTIC) or an in-house derivative EDIT: a derivative designed by Hothaus and completed in-house (KSWB). In fact, they went so far in the article to say that they tried to keep and enhance the O&O bug.

KDVR is the only Fox station in their stable that repudiated the O&O look for a style all to themselves. As I said in the other thread, it will be decidedly awkward seeing a "Fox 31" O&O-style logo on the station again.

Ideally, they should make two distinct rebranding initiatives: this one, and the KDVR look, which would fit perfectly onto KTXL, KCPQ and WITI - all of which are center-left, BTW. (Sorry, but the "Q13" logo would simply not look right in an O&O-style bug.)

It's an interesting point. This rebranding is better suited for those Fox stations that retained the O&O appearance (WXIN, WTIC) or an in-house derivative (KSWB). In fact, they went so far in the article to say that they tried to keep and enhance the O&O bug.

KDVR is the only Fox station in their stable that repudiated the O&O look for a style all to themselves. As I said in the other thread, it will be decidedly awkward seeing a "Fox 31" O&O-style logo on the station again.

Ideally, they should make two distinct rebranding initiatives: this one, and the KDVR look, which would fit perfectly onto KTXL, KCPQ and WITI - all of which are center-left, BTW. (Sorry, but the "Q13" logo would simply not look right in an O&O-style bug.)

KSWB's graphics package was done by Hothaus. The updated fullscreens and L3's were done in-house.

Archived