WXMI FOX 17 debuts new graphics/music

DextonNova

I don't know how good of a visual representation these are, but out of boredom, I came up with these (graphics are from KSWB because they had the best caps on Youtube):

noll.jpg

WDAF

hlgn.jpg

WITI

0bh7.jpg

WTMJ, just for the fun of it because somebody threw it out there

I won't bother with WJW's set because of the way it's designed, hardly any monitor banks. Mostly duratrans. I'll let you decide whether they work with the sets or not.

But, (for the Cleveland posters): Does WJW still have two time/temp bugs?

55k2.png

Looking at the video on fox8.com I don't see it. But maybe they apply the other one in master?

Now that you've done that, sanewsguy, I don't think that they'll work for WDAF. Their set is far too warm for, what's in my mind, such a cool package. There are too many wood tones for it to work well. If it was only their floor, then yeah sure, but too much of that back wall is warm and wood-like for it to really work.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But, (for the Cleveland posters): Does WJW still have two time/temp bugs?

55k2.png

Looking at the video on fox8.com I don't see it. But maybe they apply the other one in master?

Yes, they still have that separate time/temp bug at the bottom right corner...

That bug is only used for their morning newscasts (weekday and weekend, excluding the 9am news... the 5pm news used it for awhile but stopped a few years ago). Concurrently, the bottom bar of the Fox 8 bug is supposed to only rotate between "NEWS" and ".COM" ... all other newscasts have that bottom bar rotate between the time, "NEWS," the temp and ".COM"

Judging by that screencap, it looks to have been a goof in master control.

I don't know how good of a visual representation these are, but out of boredom, I came up with these (graphics are from KSWB because they had the best caps on Youtube):

noll.jpg

WDAF

hlgn.jpg

WITI

0bh7.jpg

WTMJ, just for the fun of it because somebody threw it out there

I won't bother with WJW's set because of the way it's designed, hardly any monitor banks. Mostly duratrans. I'll let you decide whether they work with the sets or not.

All that WJW would need to do is to replace or modify the "8" with whatever searchlight pattern the new graphics packages use. But honestly, the Fox 8 bug may not need to be changed at all.

I think that WJW 4pm News is a big sign that they have developed a new graphics package, Why have a separate Fox 8 News at 4 logo with that red and silver background in the bottom right corner sometimes after a commercial break,the New at Five graphics at 4, along with same the Just In Graphics during a story over the O&O L3's that do not match and on the Virtual 4pm Set with that new fancy animation usually seen with the Just In story intro, just talking about a story without a video, or on a TV screen in the background as a still image when an anchor is just talking about the Just In Story without a video, I have also seen a new background when displaying full screen information graphics with the browns it was more polished and just has a browns helmet was orange and was similar to the Just In fancy background, if a new package does exist Tribune could use it or they may not and use the one they are currently rolling out on their Fox stations or something new that works with every station they own

I think that WJW 4pm News is a big sign that they have developed a new graphics package, Why have a separate Fox 8 News at 4 logo with that red and silver background in the bottom right corner sometimes after a commercial break,the New at Five graphics at 4, along with same the Just In Graphics during a story over the O&O L3's that do not match and on the Virtual 4pm Set with that new fancy animation usually seen with the Just In story intro, just talking about a story without a video, or on a TV screen in the background as a still image when an anchor is just talking about the Just In Story without a video, I have also seen a new background when displaying full screen information graphics with the browns it was more polished and just has a browns helmet was orange and was similar to the Just In fancy background, if a new package does exist Tribune could use it or they may not and use the one they are currently rolling out on their Fox stations or something new that works with every station they own

WJW had planned for the 4pm news as early as May... weeks (if not months) before the LocalTV-Tribune merger was announced. It's a non-traditional newscast with its' only competition being WOIO. That the 4pm news got a specific in-house graphics package does not indicate anything.

i am not trying to argue with anyone, but between the 7pm news being way different from the rest of the newscast and the 4pm having new elements with other cosmetic changes slowly happening i felt something new was being implemented, Tribune and LocalTV did have a management company formed to run their stations, i felt with that it was possible if WJW developed a package it could be used by other Tribune Stations, WJW also had a new logo that was used in promos for the new weekend morning news that was modified and used for the FOX TROT, and then yet another logo for the FOX 8 at 4pm, a different logo on the website, they also use two different bugs on other programs the old FOX 8 bug and the smaller FOX 8-1 bug, maybe WJW has a identity crisis as far as on air look i personally do not fell the newer graphics elements match the O&O L3's they go better with the 7pm L3's, i am not trying to offend anyone or attack anyone's opinion, everything will change when Tribune takes over

i am not trying to argue with anyone, but between the 7pm news being way different from the rest of the newscast and the 4pm having new elements with other cosmetic changes slowly happening i felt something new was being implemented, Tribune and LocalTV did have a management company formed to run their stations, i felt with that it was possible if WJW developed a package it could be used by other Tribune Stations, WJW also had a new logo that was used in promos for the new weekend morning news that was modified and used for the FOX TROT, and then yet another logo for the FOX 8 at 4pm, a different logo on the website, they also use two different bugs on other programs the old FOX 8 bug and the smaller FOX 8-1 bug, maybe WJW has a identity crisis as far as on air look i personally do not fell the newer graphics elements match the O&O L3's they go better with the 7pm L3's, i am not trying to offend anyone or attack anyone's opinion, everything will change when Tribune takes over

I know you're not trying to offend, and you aren't offending me. I misread what you wrote.

I don't think that WJW's in house graphic alterations really aren't a sign of any changes to come, rather, it's more of them trying to keep alive a graphics pack that should have a DNR notice attached to it. Now, I do strongly believe that they will be standardized once the Tribune buyout of LocalTV takes place, but that could take several months. That's in part because Tribune has gradually upgraded their Fox affils one-by-one.

What I like about the Tribune pack for a station like WJW is that it is already faithful to the Fox O&O (1st/2nd generation) look, so a pack like that could be implemented with ease. And yes, I wouldn't mind seeing the O&O theme retired for Trust.

Another station that needs the WXXI package BAD is WGHP.

, which is basically a poor imitation of the Raycom graphics. And the O&O music does NOT fit at all.

Yikes.

Holy mother of God. [splashes holy water at computer screen]

Another station that needs the WXXI package BAD is WGHP.

, which is basically a poor imitation of the Raycom graphics. And the O&O music does NOT fit at all.

Yikes.

Good God Almighty. The open is very amateuristic at best. Hurry up and give them the new Tribune graphics and fast.

• 5 months later...

Ok everyone… sorry to bump this, but I found a clip of WGNO using a purple variant of these graphics.

I have a question: Has WGNO (or any New Orleans station other than WVUE) finally upgraded to HD. It's sad really when markets like Erie or Youngstown/Warren have all HD news but a city such as New Orleans has only one news op in HD.

I have a question: Has WGNO (or any New Orleans station other than WVUE) finally upgraded to HD. It's sad really when markets like Erie or Youngstown/Warren have all HD news but a city such as New Orleans has only one news op in HD.

Based on the video, it still looks like they're using 16:9 stretched.

And yes, its a big pet peeve of mine too when station groups like Hearst and Belo/Gannett are too cheap to make the upgrades for a market the size of NOLA. Especially when a station owned by Tom Benson is able to find the money for it.

Based on the video, it still looks like they're using 16:9 stretched.

And yes, its a big pet peeve of mine too when station groups like Hearst and Belo/Gannett are too cheap to make the upgrades for a market the size of NOLA. Especially when a station owned by Tom Benson is able to find the money for it.

Is it because the stations were damaged from Katrina? I think Hearst, Belo/Gannett, and Tribune would probably play that card. As far as the 'GNO gfx, I have to admit they look pretty flashy without being overly gaudy looking. Now about News with a Twist...

Yes, WGNO is the only Tribune station with its own news department not using true HD. WGNO and the other stations repaired Katrina-related damage years ago.

Not to get too far off track, but the larger companies like Hearst and Belo had typically been upgrading two to three stations a year, and New Orleans is low on the market-importance list.

Is it because the stations were damaged from Katrina? I think Hearst, Belo/Gannett, and Tribune would probably play that card. As far as the 'GNO gfx, I have to admit they look pretty flashy without being overly gaudy looking. Now about News with a Twist...

Belo originally had plans to build a new facility for WWL and move them out of their current space near the French Quarter. But Katrina shelved those plans permanently. WGNO left their space in the Central Business District in New Orleans (where coincidentally WVUE now has a downtown studio) and moved out to the suburbs in Metairie after the storm. It was also to blame for Emmis having a real hard time selling WVUE when they were getting out of the TV business. It took a few years before Tom Benson decided to buy it. So Katrina did impact the market somewhat.

However it's been nearly 10 years since the storm and the market has recovered quite nicely. It's one of the fastest growing metros in the US and the economy is thriving. There's no excuse now for why Belo/Gannett, Tribune, and Hearst still treat NOLA like it's the red-headed stepchild.

And yes, "News with a Twist" needs to go, unless it compliments a traditional newscast at 5 and 6pm.

Getting things back on track, I guess this means that Tribune's new package isn't exclusive to the Fox affiliates. But this is the nicest that WGNO has ever looked presentation wise as an ABC affiliate.

And yes, "News with a Twist" needs to go, unless it compliments a traditional newscast at 5 and 6pm.

What exactly do you mean in a scenario where "News with a Twist" 'compliments' traditional early evening newscasts on WGNO?

What exactly do you mean in a scenario where "News with a Twist" 'compliments' traditional early evening newscasts on WGNO?

I meant have it on at like 4pm like the other "lifestyle shows" do. Having it replace a traditional newscast at 5 and 6 is absurd.

Archived