WXMI FOX 17 debuts new graphics/music

DextonNova

All of the current Fox stations Tribune owns are suppose to be getting the new package. The only ones that aren't using it at the moment are KCPQ, KTXL, WPMT, and WTIC. It's currently unknown whether or not the newly acquired ones from LocalTV will get this package once the sale is complete.

I'm visiting Sacramento and KTXL has the new Tribune Fox graphics.

I haven't checked KOVR/KMAX, but once they get the new CBS gfx, all of the stations with local news here will have new graphics packages: KCRA/KQCA-Hearst, KOVR-Gannett, KTXL-TribuneFox, and KUVS-Univision.

J

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

I found an article which confirms what we already assumed; all of Tribune's current FOX stations are slated to get this package by the end of 2013. Still no word on the Local TV stations.

http://brief.promaxbda.org/content/brand-rebrand-tribunes-fox-affiliated-stations

That's because the article was published on June 27... four days before the LocalTV-Tribune merger was announced.

The Tribune FOX affiliate in Hartford, CT, WTIC-TV also made the switch as of the 4PM newscast to the new Tribune graphics along with going back to the FOX O&O logo/ bug.

I saw that open/graphics on WTIC too. They now use according to SNMSA Trust by inthegroovemusic.

I saw that open/graphics on WTIC too. They now use according to SNMSA Trust by inthegroovemusic.

When I saw the 5pm open back on Wednesday on their stream, they were still using Arnold's Indie-Band on the opening & bumpers, with the new graphics. Are they're slowly phasing Trust on the other shows? What's the use of the theme, if they are using?

When I saw the 5pm open back on Wednesday on their stream, they were still using Arnold's Indie-Band on the opening & bumpers, with the new graphics. Are they're slowly phasing Trust on the other shows? What's the use of the theme, if they are using?

Maybe someone saw the graphics and made the automatic assumption they were using Trust and they submitted it to the NMSA. It's happened before.

I hope they didn't get Trust. Tribune should at least let them pick their own theme. Maybe the contract to use Indie-Band hasn't ended yet? I think once it ends they will phase it in in full.

That's because the article was published on June 27... four days before the LocalTV-Tribune merger was announced.

I hope they get it.

I'm in Kansas City for the weekend and managed to watch WDAF for a bit but couldn't get over how cheap their current package looks. KTVI's still looks ok but they have had the same package for 5 years now.

The Local TV Fox stations (minus KDVR) are long overdue for a new package.

I hope they get it.

I'm in Kansas City for the weekend and managed to watch WDAF for a bit but couldn't get over how cheap their current package looks. KTVI's still looks ok but they have had the same package for 5 years now.

Same with WJW in Cleveland; their graphics still date back to when it was an O&O.

Same with WJW in Cleveland; their graphics still date back to when it was an O&O.

July 2007, as a matter of fact. The graphics package itself dates back to 2006 as the first-generation Fox O&O package.

In fact, WJW is the ONLY Fox station that I know of that is still using the first-generation Fox O&O graphics. Partly it was because WJW had already been in HD for several years when they got the O&O graphics and set. I just can't believe that they were able to make those graphics work with Vizrt.

I hope they get it.

I don't think the Tribune FOX graphics would fit WITI at all. The bold red-white-blue color scheme would clash badly with the color scheme for the new studio they just got. In addition, the Tribune graphics appear to be designed to evoke an O&O feel, and WITI's studio design is entirely unlike a FOX O&O.

I'm not saying I'm entirely sold on WITI's current graphics, but I don't know that the Tribune graphics are what they need.

I don't think the Tribune FOX graphics would fit WITI at all. The bold red-white-blue color scheme would clash badly with the color scheme for the new studio they just got. In addition, the Tribune graphics appear to be designed to evoke an O&O feel, and WITI's studio design is entirely unlike a FOX O&O.

I'm not saying I'm entirely sold on WITI's current graphics, but I don't know that the Tribune graphics are what they need.

What they need is better designers.

WITI's set is somewhat like ours -- heavy on blue and yellow. I agree the current iteration of what Tribune is giving its FOX stations would clash. But considering our graphics are designed in-house, I'm willing to take just about anything that looks professional.

WITI's set is somewhat like ours -- heavy on blue and yellow. I agree the current iteration of what Tribune is giving its FOX stations would clash. But considering our graphics are designed in-house, I'm willing to take just about anything that looks professional.

Well, more blue and orange. And for what it's worth, I don't think it would take that much effort to swap out some duratrans if management felt it was needed.

Well, more blue and orange. And for what it's worth, I don't think it would take that much effort to swap out some duratrans if management felt it was needed.

120.jpg

WDAF's set doesn't rely too much on duratrans. I could actually see it working with the Tribune Fox graphics. The lighting may need some adjustment but it could work much better than WITI's new set.

new-set-018.jpg

Although here, lighting and different duratrans could actually work with the Trib package.

Yeah, good points all, I really wasn't factoring in that much of the backdrop is made up of duratrans that could be swapped out. That said, even if you discount the duratrans, there's a substantial amount of earthtones that I think would still clash. (On the other hand, the Tribune FOX graphics would look great with the WTMJ set...)

There's always a possibility they could just modify the package, like swap the white and blue in the background around.

WITI frequently swapped the duratrans in their old set, up to a few months before it was torn down, so they should be used to swapping them out by now.

i think WJW will have a completely new look when Tribune takes over, i have noticed some new elements like a new orange background for the browns, there is a new animated background on the 4pm news on the digital generated set, both relate to the 7pm news look with the moving long and small thin rectangles, with some of the intro screens on some segments that appear on the big tv screen on the set i think fox family health may be one of them some are new, i am no expert on graphics systems but if they were running another system prior to Vizrt WJW may be running two different ones it seems to me, it really looks like it with the 4pm news and when they have a browns/indians segment special info bar for each, If they do introduce a new entirely different graphics package than the new Tribune one maybe it will be on all Tribune Stations or maybe just the Local Tv Llc Fox stations, i've just noticed different elements slowly being introduced

i think WJW will have a completely new look when Tribune takes over' date=' i have noticed some new elements like a new orange background for the browns, there is a new animated background on the 4pm news on the digital generated set, both relate to the 7pm news look with the moving long and small thin rectangles, with some of the intro screens on some segments that appear on the big tv screen on the set i think fox family health may be one of them some are new, i am no expert on graphics systems but if they were running another system prior to Vizrt WJW may be running two different ones it seems to me, it really looks like it with the 4pm news and when they have a browns/indians segment special info bar for each, If they do introduce a new entirely different graphics package than the new Tribune one maybe it will be on all Tribune Stations or maybe just the Local Tv Llc Fox stations, i've just noticed different elements slowly being introduced

I disagree. If anything, the explanation for the different in-house graphics packs on their 9am, 4pm and 7pm news is solely due to the first generation O&O package long having been worn out and past their prime. After all, the morning news block is 5 1/2 hours long and their afternoon news block is 3 1/2 hours long. The same on-air look would get tiring to anyone. Ditto with the story-specific L3s (Browns, Indians, et. al) and their "coming up" teaser L3s.

I give WJW credit in that they have strived to keep the semblance of the O&O look alive in spite of LocalTV not letting them upgrade their look. The searchlight O&O box logo is still their primary logo with minimal modifications. Their O&O set has seen minimal changes since Fox had it built in 2007 and could last for another 6-7 years, and would work perfectly with the Tribune graphics.

I give WJW credit in that they have strived to keep the semblance of the O&O look alive in spite of LocalTV not letting them upgrade their look. The searchlight O&O box logo is still their primary logo with minimal modifications. Their O&O set has seen minimal changes since Fox had it built in 2007 and could last for another 6-7 years, and would work perfectly with the Tribune graphics.

I think it was 100% their choice not to change their look around. If you'll notice, none of the Local Tv stations outsourced their graphics, they were all done in-house at one of the group's stations. That costs practically nothing since the graphic artists are already there basically.

I don't know how good of a visual representation these are, but out of boredom, I came up with these (graphics are from KSWB because they had the best caps on Youtube):

noll.jpg

WDAF

hlgn.jpg

WITI

0bh7.jpg

WTMJ, just for the fun of it because somebody threw it out there

I won't bother with WJW's set because of the way it's designed, hardly any monitor banks. Mostly duratrans. I'll let you decide whether they work with the sets or not.

But, (for the Cleveland posters): Does WJW still have two time/temp bugs?

55k2.png

Looking at the video on fox8.com I don't see it. But maybe they apply the other one in master?

I think it was 100% their choice not to change their look around. If you'll notice, none of the Local Tv stations outsourced their graphics, they were all done in-house at one of the group's stations. That costs practically nothing since the graphic artists are already there basically.

Not entirely true. Some of WITI's first HD package came from Viz Creative Services and was originally designed for WSFL.

Archived