WXMI FOX 17 debuts new graphics/music

DextonNova

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's an interesting point. This rebranding is better suited for those Fox stations that retained the O&O appearance (WXIN, WTIC) or an in-house derivative EDIT: a derivative designed by Hothaus and completed in-house (KSWB). In fact, they went so far in the article to say that they tried to keep and enhance the O&O bug.

KDVR is the only Fox station in their stable that repudiated the O&O look for a style all to themselves. As I said in the other thread, it will be decidedly awkward seeing a "Fox 31" O&O-style logo on the station again.

Ideally, they should make two distinct rebranding initiatives: this one, and the KDVR look, which would fit perfectly onto KTXL, KCPQ and WITI - all of which are center-left, BTW. (Sorry, but the "Q13" logo would simply not look right in an O&O-style bug.)

I know they were planning on standardizing all of the Tribune Fox affiliates before the Local TV acquisition, but has there been any confirmation that the Local TV Fox affiliates will get them too? I suppose I wouldn't be surprised, but I think the KDVR team has produced a look that's really unique and very well done. The current look is starting to get a little stale, but the new open and donuts for Good Day that they came out with a few months ago are really good. I think an overall update of the KDVR look would be a good alternative.

Part of me also thinks, however, that Tribune maybe wouldn't standardize graphics. Even before Sam Zell, the group as a whole has traditionally carved out singular local brands for their affiliates. Part of me thinks that this practice may continue in the new company despite all the other groups trying to make a quick buck by pooling their graphics together.

I know they were planning on standardizing all of the Tribune Fox affiliates before the Local TV acquisition, but has there been any confirmation that the Local TV Fox affiliates will get them too? I suppose I wouldn't be surprised, but I think the KDVR team has produced a look that's really unique and very well done. The current look is starting to get a little stale, but the new open and donuts for Good Day that they came out with a few months ago are really good. I think an overall update of the KDVR look would be a good alternative.

Part of me also thinks, however, that Tribune maybe wouldn't standardize graphics. Even before Sam Zell, the group as a whole has traditionally carved out singular local brands for their affiliates. Part of me thinks that this practice may continue in the new company despite all the other groups trying to make a quick buck by pooling their graphics together.

Of course, there probably won't be any confirmation about the LocalTV stations for some time, for obvious reasons (the deal having been announced a few days ago and all). But the article about WXMI and WXIN seemed to indicated that Tribune has interest in adopting this look on all of their Fox affils, and that the rollout would take nearly a year.

If they do embark on this for all their Fox affils and the FoxCo stations, it would be a departure from how they have treated station branding in general. However, do bear in mind that the FoxCo stations, sans WITI, inherited a standardized brand from Fox that was maintained (with varied results) on an in-house basis; only KDVR forged a look all it's own.

But it may also signal as to how close Tribune may be working with Fox in general. They may standardize all, or almost all, of their Fox affiliates but keep all other unique brandings intact on the remaining stations.

• 4 weeks later...

KSWB debuted the new graphics tonight. Not sure if they made their debut on the 10pm news or earlier. It looks really good and it's definitely a step up from the stale look they have been using for close to 5 years now. The only complaints I have are 1.) the bug is so small that the time/temp is hard to see and it looks out of proportion and 2.) the L3's are really plain, they could use a bit of work. Music sounds like the inthegroove package being used by KCPQ. I'll capture some video tomorrow. Edit: Also, it looks like they went to a widescreen aspect on their SD channel, thus allowing them to move the bug out of the safe areas in HD.

A. "Trust"

B. 8 Tribune FOX stations will get this look.

A. Trust is not required. I bet a station could use this in conjunction with the OSI package or X-Package if they desired (or other packages). Although, I will admit, the OSI package needs a complete overhaul. It's too in-your-face, they need to have a bit more flexibility... Something a bit more subtle and smooth like the current KDVR package.

B. As we talked about, 8 Tribune stations were slated to get it, but now that they have acquired Local, who honestly knows. I do believe that FOX is in Tribune's back pocket... Please do note, that the majority shareholders (at 48%) in Tribune are the employees themselves! I have a feeling they will have some say too. It really depends on what works for the market. I've seen plenty of FOX branding that just did not work where it was implemented (compared to stations in the same market). FOX has, as I've said, this way of being in-your-face and that doesn't quite work everywhere!

FWIW, as a Local TV/Tribune employee, I have access to every station's newscast in the last 48 hours. So if you need a framegrab, I can get it. It would be nice to have bump shots like this on a daily basis. :D

BQbybb2CEAMtm1E.jpg

Very nice capture TheRob. It's a nice graphics package, but I think that some parts are a bit rough around the edges and could stand a few tweaks. Some of the animations are a bit rough and in KSWB's case, the L3's, bug and LIVE bug need some work. Also, another font choice would be better. I'm not sure how long they have been working on this pack, especially on KSWB's because they did not notice (or care) that the word news is redundant in the open. i.e. FOX 5 News HD News?

FWIW, as a Local TV/Tribune employee, I have access to every station's newscast in the last 48 hours. So if you need a framegrab, I can get it. It would be nice to have bump shots like this on a daily basis. :D

BQbybb2CEAMtm1E.jpg

I can't wait until WDAF and KTVI get this graphics package.

They are long overdue for one.

I think they'll still be same as always when it comes to station brading. Perhaps moreso - Peter Ligouri is in charge, and he is the guy that took every network that had "Discovery" in the name and turned it into something interesting.

Second, Tribune West's Creative Director is Marshall Hites. Hites is the guy who brilliantly turned KHJ into California 9 and transferred its identity to KCBS while keeping KCAL unique in the process.

Third, coming from an O&O market, this doesn't feel like Fox News Channel. Fox broadcast? Possibly, but the clean white backgrounds and inthegroove music (though yes, I know FNC is using inthegroove now too!) do not yell out "Fox News". Keep in mind that Fox is usually amazingly strict when it comes to its affiliate agreements, and that I remain surprised that KTVU and WSVN have very unique branding.

For KCPQ; I actually like the color scheme from what they have now (it has a very distinct "northwest" feel to it), but if it could be somehow applied to that new look while keeping the current logo alone...

I agree. I think the green version of the KTLA graphics have worked very well for KCPQ so far. Maybe Tribune might be flexible and willing to make an exception for stations like KCPQ and KDVR.

FNC is using inthegroove? For which programs? I didn't know that they were, but I'm intrigued...

Most of the so-called "hard news" programs:

and
, plus the opinion programs (
...)

(Fuze Artz = inthegroove)

Third, coming from an O&O market, this doesn't feel like Fox News Channel. Fox broadcast? Possibly, but the clean white backgrounds and inthegroove music (though yes, I know FNC is using inthegroove now too!) do not yell out "Fox News". Keep in mind that Fox is usually amazingly strict when it comes to its affiliate agreements, and that I remain surprised that KTVU and WSVN have very unique branding.

Fox didn't seem to have an issue with Raycom when WBRC switched to the X2 package...

Very nice capture TheRob. It's a nice graphics package, but I think that some parts are a bit rough around the edges and could stand a few tweaks. Some of the animations are a bit rough and in KSWB's case, the L3's, bug and LIVE bug need some work. Also, another font choice would be better. I'm not sure how long they have been working on this pack, especially on KSWB's because they did not notice (or care) that the word news is redundant in the open. i.e. FOX 5 News HD News?

Yeah, that was clearly overlooked. Either the "NEWS·HD" in KSWB's kitebox logo be altered to read "SAN DIEGO" or replace the word "NEWS" next to the logo to read just the time of the specific newscast "AT 5:00", "AT 6:00", "AT TEN", etc.

Does anyone actually know whether or not all the Tribune Fox stations will be getting this package? Or are we just guessing?

All of the current Fox stations Tribune owns are suppose to be getting the new package. The only ones that aren't using it at the moment are KCPQ, KTXL, WPMT, and WTIC. It's currently unknown whether or not the newly acquired ones from LocalTV will get this package once the sale is complete.

All of the current Fox stations Tribune owns are suppose to be getting the new package. The only ones that aren't using it at the moment are KCPQ, KTXL, WPMT, and WTIC. It's currently unknown whether or not the newly acquired ones from LocalTV will get this package once the sale is complete.

I hope KCPQ doesn't get it. Or if KCPQ does get it, they choose a different color scheme besides red, white, and blue. That doesn't work for Q13.

I hope KCPQ doesn't get it. Or if KCPQ does get it, they choose a different color scheme besides red, white, and blue. That doesn't work for Q13.

Just a little tidbit but the reason they are using blue, green, white is because that's the Seahawks colors (and to a lesser extent, the Mariners colors as well).

If you had seen their previous package, it was blue, orange, white, yellow, and purple (eww)...

Just a little tidbit but the reason they are using blue, green, white is because that's the Seahawks colors (and to a lesser extent, the Mariners colors as well).

If you had seen their previous package, it was blue, orange, white, yellow, and purple (eww)...

Good point, considering that KCPQ is the station for the Seahawks (Preseason and regular season) that would make sense. I also liked the color scheme because it reflects the Northwest better than any of their earlier packages could. I thought it was a pretty good adaptation of KTLA's graphics package and think that it's one of the best packages KCPQ ever had. Because as you said, their past few packages weren't that impressive, or attractive for that matter.

Archived