The Definitive ABC 7 Thread

24994J

Posted (edited)
On 2/25/2024 at 1:04 PM, cpet228 said:

I believe I had her speak at a class when I went to Columbia College years ago.  Always on top of things in the morning.

Any rumors/speculation on her replacement yet?  Will ABC7 hire from the outside?  Or will Diane Pathieu get it, since she seems to be the primary fill-in already?

Diane is obviously the internal candidate, but as is standard procedure, there is still an open job listing online.

bandicam2024-04-0311-48-18-214.thumb.png.bfdfc2dab4271debc8336d061f6de44c.png

Meanwhile, the first half of the week has been a celebration of the morning newscast's 35 years, and there have been some special guests along the way. Earlier, media manager and apparent news nerd David Fell joined the show to talk about a lot of station history.

Wednesday (today) was the official anniversary, so some familiar faces made their return between 6 & 8am. The Gray Beards, as I called them to a friend, reminisced about the old days, and Judy Hsu pre-taped a retrospective segment.

Edited by 24994J
  • Like 2

Wow never seen a big market station celebrate a morning show anniversary that’s uniquely Chicago. I think it’s great I don’t recall lots of stations marking anniversaries of news expansions, I see them on Univisión and Telemundo stations but not English language.

Posted (edited)

Oh, and that one logo wipe was used at a Ratner-VO'd rejoin, in place of the reopens, this morning.

Edited by 24994J

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2024 at 1:04 PM, cpet228 said:

Will ABC7 hire from the outside?  Or will Diane Pathieu get it, since she seems to be the primary fill-in already?

Last week Diane said she applied for the job as everyone else has so they are looking at people outside as well since it's standard protocol, that on-air talent within the station apply for the vacant position.

Edited by R.R.
Typo
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Mark Giangreco is back to shading Cheryl Burton on twitter, even though I agree with the shade. Burton turns me off with the fake laugh, over the top jokes and ugly outfits. Lets also not forget about her ego which is huge. I just wish they would replace her with Karen Jordan, who deserves the promotion.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, WeatherandTraffic said:

Mark Giangreco is back to shading Cheryl Burton on twitter, even though I agree with the shade.

He’s been shading twice more than usual. He’s standing on major business when it comes to not forgiving her.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, brb588 said:

He's pretty sad, IMO. You are too, if you are commenting on her looks.

I'm not saying she's an ugly person. I'm saying some of the outfits she wears are questionable. She is a pretty woman and does fine on the lighter newscasts like the 6:30pm and seems more genuine on those newscasts than the 5pm and 10pm where there's more pressure.

Now this morning, Diane Pathieu was off, so Stephanie Wade filled in. They usually have Jeremy Scott or someone else from the Total Traffic Network fill in. Do you think this was a last second fill in or are they going to rotate reporters to fill in for Diane?

1 hour ago, WeatherandTraffic said:

Now this morning, Diane Pathieu was off, so Stephanie Wade filled in. They usually have Jeremy Scott or someone else from the Total Traffic Network fill in. Do you think this was a last second fill in or are they going to rotate reporters to fill in for Diane?

Diane was off on Memorial Day, and Tanja made mention of her absence, which says to me that she'll be named officially, sometime soon. If that happens, they should have an in-house reporter take up the back-up role. Jeremy (who I haven't heard on 7 in months, as he was a temporary full-timer on 32) and other Total Traffic folks always used to be the third-stringers. If Diane becomes #1, then somebody should fill the gap.

On 6/10/2024 at 6:26 PM, WeatherandTraffic said:

Mark Giangreco is back to shading Cheryl Burton on twitter, even though I agree with the shade. Burton turns me off with the fake laugh, over the top jokes and ugly outfits. Lets also not forget about her ego which is huge. I just wish they would replace her with Karen Jordan, who deserves the promotion.

Shading her and ABC 7 management, he needs to move on. Even if he can't or won't forgive her he needs to make peace with what happened. What he needs is therapy, licensed, able to prescribe therapy. His firing is akin to a bad breakup   

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Chicago2008 said:

Shading her and ABC 7 management, he needs to move on. Even if he can't or won't forgive her he needs to make peace with what happened.

He wouldn’t be the first to not forgive or move on from it. Remember how Bruce Wolf acted and still acts to this day over 18 years after Fox 32 fired him for keying that car.

Giangreco said in interviews and left her nameless on this saying that she was like a sister to him, and it’s no shock she has a history of snitching on co-workers. He’s done with the biz, he’s highly likely never going to make peace with this. Many others have said If she had came to him and spoke to him about it before this unfolded maybe there would be a different story.

42 minutes ago, R.R. said:

He wouldn’t be the first to not forgive or move on from it. Remember how Bruce Wolf acted and still acts to this day over 18 years after Fox 32 fired him for keying that car.

Giangreco said in interviews and left her nameless on this saying that she was like a sister to him, and it’s no shock she has a history of snitching on co-workers. He’s done with the biz, he’s highly likely never going to make peace with this. Many others have said If she had came to him and spoke to him about it before this unfolded maybe there would be a different story.

And what good is that doing either of them? I have learned that holding a grudge is not good for your well being. I have heard him in many interviews and yes he's done and not coming back. IMO they need to seek professional help, and yes it could have been handled differently. But she's the queen bee, so it seems like what she wants she gets. I'm not quit familiar with the Bruce Wolfe car keying incident, could someone better explain that to me?  Oh and don't forget he singed an NDA

Edited by Chicago2008
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Chicago2008 said:

Oh and don't forget he singed an NDA

He signed that NDA it seems only to save face. It was also stated He, along with his brother Pete and Agent/Attorney Joel Weisman who at one point was her agent, was going to sue her, and WLS behind this blowout. 

Just because her birthday is on Christmas, doesn't make her queen. She's never beating the snitch allegations. She's already known for being arrogant and rude to people in public. This is something that viewers and Mark will get her for the rest of her career. She can't handle being reminded of it so she blocks anyone who says "Snitch" or "Ditz on social.

Edited by R.R.
Additional Detail

9 minutes ago, R.R. said:

He signed that NDA it seems only to save face. It was also stated He, along with his brother Pete and Agent/Attorney Joel Weisman who at one point was her agent, was going to sue her, and WLS behind this blowout.

He stated in an interview that he was paid off, he also stated that the NDA is in effect for life hence why he can't mention her name publicly. It is also why he should seek professional help, anything you say in a shrinks office is confidential

On 6/12/2024 at 12:14 AM, Chicago2008 said:

He stated in an interview that he was paid off, he also stated that the NDA is in effect for life hence why he can't mention her name publicly. It is also why he should seek professional help, anything you say in a shrinks office is confidential

Is there really a whole lotta doubt that she is a particularly underwhelming anchor? 

Big Mark fan, here, and I tolerate Cheryl, at best. It's been almost 2 years since he would've actually retired (his contract ran until early fall '22), and is hopefully enjoying his time away from TV. There is almost no reason for him to still be retweeting the Cheryl haters, and doing so "hurts" his legacy more than the incident he was dismissed over. For a guy who has said he's ultimately glad to be out of there ("that place will be a car wash in 5 years"), he sure can't seem to put it in the rear view mirror.

ON THE OTHER HAND, he doesn't need professional help. I'm confident none of us here have medicine degrees to actually recommend that. He's just a 70-year-old man who's a little crusty about how his career ended, which is valid. As much as I don't think he should be doing what he's doing on Twitter, I'm guessing he's also within his legal right to do it, and is otherwise quiet about the whole ordeal.

Ultimately, we're making a bigger deal out of this than anyone in his replies. Until he and Cheryl sue each other over NDA breaches or whatever, him retweeting Cheryl shade every once in awhile probably isn't worth mentioning. Honestly, I'm glad this thread didn't exist when Kevin Roy was having his actually-concerning, in-need-of-mental-health-intervention Facebook meltdowns.

50 minutes ago, 24994J said:

Big Mark fan, here, and I tolerate Cheryl, at best.

I'm also a Giangreco stan. I used to have a lot of respect for Cheryl for many years. But that ordeal, plus the fact that she's truly an ignorant person in public (I witnessed firsthand), made me lose immediate respect for her. Although, her station is number one in ratings. Her approval, not so much. But I'm not going to push my point out there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, R.R. said:

I'm also a Giangreco stan. I used to have a lot of respect for Cheryl for many years. But that ordeal, plus the fact that she's truly an ignorant person in public (I witnessed firsthand), made me lose immediate respect for her. Although, her station is number one in ratings. Her approval, not so much. But I'm not going to push my point out there.

I agree with your point. Cheryl Burton's ego became huge after that ordeal and acts like she is the main attraction at the station, which she's not. That might be a reason Alan retired a year and half after that ordeal, he probably got sick and tired of her. I could also see Ron Magers wasn't her biggest fan either like the clip below.

54 minutes ago, WeatherandTraffic said:

I agree with your point. Cheryl Burton's ego became huge after that ordeal and acts like she is the main attraction at the station, which she's not. That might be a reason Alan retired a year and half after that ordeal, he probably got sick and tired of her.

Pretty sure Alan was going to retire after 40 years no matter what. As I have said before, he and Cheryl had a good working relationship on-air and 'appeared' to be cordial with each other off the air. Unless someone writes a book, start a podcast, etc..., we will likely never know what issues Mark, Ron, etc.. had with her and vice-versa.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, WeatherandTraffic said:

I agree with your point. Cheryl Burton's ego became huge after that ordeal and acts like she is the main attraction at the station, which she's not. That might be a reason Alan retired a year and half after that ordeal, he probably got sick and tired of her. I could also see Ron Magers wasn't her biggest fan either like the clip below.

The only one who appeared to find it funny was Jerry (RIP.) Everyone else may as well have said, "really Cheryl, really?"

Edited by Chicago2008

11 hours ago, 24994J said:

Big Mark fan, here, and I tolerate Cheryl, at best. It's been almost 2 years since he would've actually retired (his contract ran until early fall '22), and is hopefully enjoying his time away from TV. There is almost no reason for him to still be retweeting the Cheryl haters, and doing so "hurts" his legacy more than the incident he was dismissed over. For a guy who has said he's ultimately glad to be out of there ("that place will be a car wash in 5 years"), he sure can't seem to put it in the rear view mirror.

ON THE OTHER HAND, he doesn't need professional help. I'm confident none of us here have medicine degrees to actually recommend that. He's just a 70-year-old man who's a little crusty about how his career ended, which is valid. As much as I don't think he should be doing what he's doing on Twitter, I'm guessing he's also within his legal right to do it, and is otherwise quiet about the whole ordeal.

Ultimately, we're making a bigger deal out of this than anyone in his replies. Until he and Cheryl sue each other over NDA breaches or whatever, him retweeting Cheryl shade every once in awhile probably isn't worth mentioning. Honestly, I'm glad this thread didn't exist when Kevin Roy was having his actually-concerning, in-need-of-mental-health-intervention Facebook meltdowns.

In many of those same interviews he also said the media would not be allowed in the locker rooms again. It's three years later and the media has locker access again.