The Definitive ABC 7 Thread

24994J

Joan was on weekends at WLS until '85 when she moved to the 5pm desk with John Drury. She left 4 or 5 years later (being replaced both times by Diann Burns), and took on a similar early evening role at WMAQ.

She hadn't been off since before sweeps, possibly even before the WCIU-cast debuted, so a few days off is less than surprising. I am a little surprised that Jerry's doing all 5 broadcasts, though. I wonder if he'd be willing to maintain that for an entire week, versus just a few days.

She hadn't been off since before sweeps, possibly even before the WCIU-cast debuted, so a few days off is less than surprising. I am a little surprised that Jerry's doing all 5 broadcasts, though. I wonder if he'd be willing to maintain that for an entire week, versus just a few days.

There's really no reason why he couldn't work all 5 for an entire week. He seems to be in better health these days, so that shouldn't be an issue. Plus, Scott will likely work all 5 when she succeeds him next year. It's highly doubtful they move Phil or Tracy from their current spots to weekday afternoons/evenings.

Funny that we should be having this conversation. Phil was off this morning, and announced online that he'll be back tonight, and with Jerry off this week, he fill in at 6 Monday through Wednesday. I'd assume Cheryl will take everything else.

Even if it is a little odd, I guess it makes some sense. Cheryl already works at 4, 5, and 7, and it only makes sense that the marquee broadcast would use the "next man up" mentality (figure of speech, so sue me), leaving only the 6 o'clock show with a vacancy. If Jerry hadn't handed over the 5, I'd bet Phil would do that, too.

More importantly, this shows me that Cheryl might not inherit everything when Taft hangs it up, and even more shuffling might be done when that time comes.

Even if it is a little odd, I guess it makes some sense. Cheryl already works at 4, 5, and 7, and it only makes sense that the marquee broadcast would use the "next man up" mentality (figure of speech, so sue me), leaving only the 6 o'clock show with a vacancy. If Jerry hadn't handed over the 5, I'd bet Phil would do that, too.

More importantly, this shows me that Cheryl might not inherit everything when Taft hangs it up, and even more shuffling might be done when that time comes.

Just have her do the 6 at that rate.

"I'm doing the 6, the 7, and the 10 after already doing the 4, 4:30, and 5. [...] I think we have a 9 o'clock on MeToo, now, too." -Mark Giangreco

The poor dear.... having to read copy 6 times for a total of 30 or so minutes....

Why is there a 4 and 430 sports report? Does it change that quick? It never really made much sense to me... I know many stations have cut the sports out of their first evening newscast entirely and save it for the 6 (5 in this case). I see the need for the 5 and on to have sports just not the need for 2 in that first hour.

Okay, seriously, the bi-weekly Giangreco radio appearance is now the best half-hour of radio since Ron Magers on Roe Conn's show ended.

"Ron, Jerry and I are buds. We golf, watch the Super Bowl, go on vacations. Three guys in the hot tub, clogging up the drain. Jerry's like a Border Collie."

And then Mark took his shirt off on the radio show...in their street-front studio next to ABC 7. He also talked about the time he needed 500 stitches in his back, having drunk football players on the air, and how Carol Marin used to get really pissed off at him at NBC 5.

The 5 o'clock news crashed and burned during the A-block this evening. First, the flipper on the bug started malfunctioning, with nothing but a blank space except during the website cycle. John Garcia's live shot ended badly, with the video cutting to colored bars after they left him on the screen too long. At that point, all on-screen graphics bit the dust, and it remained that way for the remaining 5-7 minutes til the break. Everything went smoothly, though, as even the transition to break included the bumper music, so all was not lost. Coming back from the talent rejoin, everything but the OTS worked, but the operational bug was quickly replaced with the time/temp-less model. As of the C-block, EVERYTHING is back to normal.

The 5 o'clock news crashed and burned during the A-block this evening. First, the flipper on the bug started malfunctioning, with nothing but a blank space except during the website cycle. John Garcia's live shot ended badly, with the video cutting to colored bars after they left him on the screen too long. At that point, all on-screen graphics bit the dust, and it remained that way for the remaining 5-7 minutes til the break. Everything went smoothly, though, as even the transition to break included the bumper music, so all was not lost. Coming back from the talent rejoin, everything but the OTS worked, but the operational bug was quickly replaced with the time/temp-less model. As of the C-block, EVERYTHING is back to normal.

What automation system do they use? Usually everything from them is pretty smooth. Huh.

• 2 weeks later...

Well ABC7's live stream has been completely redone... It now has the scores during sports (complete with glossy ABC7 News logo), ads run during commercials, the ABC7 Eyewitness News logo over aerial shot of the city has been replaced with a rather generic ABC7 on blue moving background and the default screen when the stream is off says "We're not on the air, check back" in a box with the ABC7 logo below it and the standard spinning giant circle-7 background. Even saw a couple of ABC7 News This Morning ads with Hosea in them with the old graphics on monitors in the studio shots. Pretty cool overall. Aligns them more with at least KGO and KABC, I can't remember if WABC does that stuff yet.

WABC has started showing ads and promos during their breaks over the last week or two. The big thing I'm noticing is that the whole streaming presentation is incredibly similar to the WatchABC stream, with most TV ads replaced with station filler, the sports scores during that segment, and a holding pattern logo filling the remaining void until the show returns (and, in turn, showing the last second of the OTA commercial before the newscast returns).

WABC has started showing ads and promos during their breaks over the last week or two. The big thing I'm noticing is that the whole streaming presentation is incredibly similar to the WatchABC stream, with most TV ads replaced with station filler, the sports scores during that segment, and a holding pattern logo filling the remaining void until the show returns (and, in turn, showing the last second of the OTA commercial before the newscast returns).

One of the ads that most surprised me was a "Garcia For Mayor" ad... I didn't expect the political ads to make it onto the stream... I like it but miss the aerial cityscape shots. I had a hunch that it was similar to watch ABC... I almost thought a wire got crossed somewhere for a moment until I saw the sports scores thing.

There are some unusual reporting assignments this afternoon. Cheryl Burton is on reporter/breaking news duty during the 4 o'clock show, a role that would normally be filled by Chuck Goudie, and not unlike what she does at 10. This week, however, Goudie is in Baltimore awaiting the arrival of Jesse Jackson Jr, who was released from prison in Alabama (with Paul Meincke on that scene) to a halfway house in Maryland.

Meanwhile, I-Team producer Ross Weidner is trailing the former congressman's entourage en route to Baltimore, and he made (what I believe to be) his on-air reporting debut today from the station's vehicle. I doubt he's joining the on-air side permanently, and was clearly very nervous when talking with Alan and Judy (who I'm now convinced is Linda's main back-up at 4), but all made for some unusual arrangements, anyway.