The Definitive ABC 7 Thread

24994J

WLS will usually feature video from a game or two a week, usually from the same team that's featured on the morning newscast flyover/live shot. Back in the day, Mike Caplan would do weather at 4 from some school's pre-game. They do have some partnership with a lesser-known site for prep coverage, too, and it'll be mentioned in a OTS with a few scores/results rattled off. However, that seems to hold off til later in the season.

I know the Tribune trio has rather comprehensive coverage, though the radio and newspaper presence is strongest, with WGN only making a few mentions, most often on Instant Replay on Sundays. I can't really speak for the other stations, though.

Oh, and with the Wolves coverage, they have nothing to do with the production. What goes out over the air is the stadium graphics package with the same set of broadcasters, no matter the channel. I know WPWR 50 had games in previous years, and I'm pretty sure 5.2 carried matches back in the Nonstop days.

• Like 1

Oh, and with the Wolves coverage, they have nothing to do with the production. What goes out over the air is the stadium graphics package with the same set of broadcasters, no matter the channel. I know WPWR 50 had games in previous years, and I'm pretty sure 5.2 carried matches back in the Nonstop days.

I've seen the games on The U Too in the last couple years. I guess I mean it's nice to see them picking up the rights to something. Maybe they'll make mention of the wolves in the sportscasts as part of the deal (or is that already a thing? Its hard to know since ABC has the policy of not showing sports on it's station streams for whatever odd reason.)

I've seen the games on The U Too in the last couple years. I guess I mean it's nice to see them picking up the rights to something. Maybe they'll make mention of the wolves in the sportscasts as part of the deal (or is that already a thing? Its hard to know since ABC has the policy of not showing sports on it's station streams for whatever odd reason.)

They always mention the score, even if without video. They get lumped in the briefs with the WNBA and MLS. This won't change anything.

A bit off topic, but why are the Wolves not the minor league affiliate of the Blackhawks?

The Hawks' affiliate is in Rockford, and the Wolves feed into St. Louis, ironically.

Is WLS 7 really going for a WGN Sports-type of thing when it comes to sports events? Because they seem like to acquire sporting games like the Cubs and recently, the Wolves.

No.

With Cubs playing the Mets, the friendly waters have begun between WLS and WABC. Kelly and Michael challenged Ryan and Val to a pizza bet, but the really high stakes were set by the weekend morning news teams. What's on the line?

[MEDIA=twitter]655378012666368000[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]655444650392690688[/MEDIA]

No word on what WLS would get in return. :D

In my very limited experience (I find WMAQ way too bland to be worth my time) they are not that similar at all... WLS's product is looking a little fatigued of late..

As for Feder and CRM I was surprised CRM called him out without naming him. That's not his style usually... Something must have irked him somehow...

CRM calls Feder out (without naming him) often enough that pretty much everyone who frequent the site knows who they are referring to.

In regards to the so-called 'blandness' of WMAQ..a lot depends on the chemistry. Stafford is very dry/stiff and Rosati is the complete opposite. Nevertheless, it somehow works (or viewers are not put off by it/just don't care). Stafford and Brooks together is even worse, but that's another story. Personally, I'm not looking to be entertained, but informed when it comes to news, weather, etc..so if a station can aaccomplish that, I'll watch.

• Like 1

Windy City Live's has been upgraded to the new O&O layout, and it's now folded into the station's website. That said, the windycitylive.com url still works. I think the header looks really nice in orange, and I also like that the bottom of the page still connects to the news links. 190north.com has also been given a similar treatment.

Okay, I'll gladly clarify my statement. Arrogance is rarely good, I'm just saying that when you promote yourself as #1, a certain level of arrogance is unavoidable. It's the same as getting too comfortable in the position, which WLS did. To my eyes, the NBC 5 of today is comparable to ABC 7 in its prime (let's say like 2005-09), in terms of delivery and tone. That format is working for them, and it's a method that ABC 7 hasn't entirely abandoned. Hiring former WLS leadership is also going to strengthen the notion that NBC is finding success with the ABC formula. I'm also not saying doing so is straight-up copying, and I certainly don't think it's a bad way to go. That said, with this bit of success, the tone of WMAQ's recent promos and advetisements have reminded me of the work that WLS has used in previous years. Everything our new friend hates about ABC is slowly creeping into NBC's product (so is the nature of the business), so his/her comments border on being a bit hypocritical. But that's just my opinion.

Theres nothing wrong with NBC it is the best news station IN TOWN. u HAVE NO GOOD TASTE AT ALL LEAVE nbc alone and since U love ABC the worst news station in town watch it since u will be the only 1 watching it.

Heck, they had 5 reporters out there. Ron and Cheryl were all by their lonesome to close the 5 o'clock news. I have to admit, I'm really beginning to like Rob Elgas's field anchor-like role they've had him in for Cubs coverage and stuff. His field work is very good, though I am warming up to him in the studio.

There's a new promo with Ron (his 3rd one??) that I just saw about an hr. ago that has me questioning who wrote/created these new promos in the first place. I mean..they seem so cold and insincere.

These two statements jumped out at me regarding this new spot...

'That's when the experience of our news department really comes to the fore.' -- RM

The fore?? What does that even mean? It just sounds odd.

'It gives me great confidence to sit down at 10 o'clock and do a story knowing that people who REALLY knew what was going on put this information together.' -- RM

So is he saying/implying that the competition doesn't have a clue and lacks the news-gathering experience of WLS/ABC 7? Sounds a bit condescending and totally out-of-place coming from someone as highly regarded as Ron Magers.

I could be reading too much into this, but I'm not sure what they hope to accomplish with these spots. They are a huge turn off imo.

'That's when the experience of our news department really comes to the fore.' -- RM

The fore?? What does that even mean? It just sounds odd.

According to a quick search, the secondary definition of 'fore' is "the front part of something, especially a ship". Honestly, that totally sounds like a word Ron would use (and in the correct context), but yes, a more common phrasing would've been ideal. Heck, 'forefront' (the leading or most important position or place) would've made a similar point, in a form more people would understand.

• Like 1

According to a quick search, the secondary definition of 'fore' is "the front part of something, especially a ship". Honestly, that totally sounds like a word Ron would use (and in the correct context), but yes, a more common phrasing would've been ideal. Heck, 'forefront' (the leading or most important position or place) would've made a similar point, in a form more people would understand.

What do you and Jase think of saying our experience really comes into focus? It's a heck of a lot more commonly used then fore or forefront. Those promos are way overbuilt and stuffy. That's moldy oldy dinosaur style dry writing...

• Like 1

You want a scaled-back, no nonsense, simple promo? Well...

I wonder if they were going were a 'This is SportsCenter'-type vibe with this one, because it sort of reminds of the simplicity of those commercials. It's a shame, though, that Krashesky wasn't in it, as he's shown in other spots that he can actually sing. (He was off the day this was shot.)

You want a scaled-back, no nonsense, simple promo? Well...

I wonder if they were going were a 'This is SportsCenter'-type vibe with this one, because it sort of reminds of the simplicity of those commercials. It's a shame, though, that Krashesky wasn't in it, as he's shown in other spots that he can actually sing. (He was off the day this was shot.)

I don't know about no nonsense, scaled back or simple but it was a cute little promo...