The Definitive ABC 7 Thread

24994J

Is she just randomly in the Ellen audience?

She changed her Facebook page over to a travel blog when she retired, and she gave a heads up after the Thursday taping. She and her actress daughter know some people on the Ellen staff/crew.

Chuck Goudie anchored this morning. No, that's not an April Fools joke...

[MEDIA=twitter]848147980020592640[/MEDIA]

Sometimes it gets strange... call me when Mark Giangreco anchors the 5pm leading into world news...

• Like 1

Eric Horng filled in this morning.

So what's up with these fill-ins this week? Whenever Pathieu is not at the desk & is on the field, its been Baca solo. Unless we're getting closer to finding out who's Bradley's replacement going to be?

Eric Horng filled in this morning.

So what's up with these fill-ins this week? Whenever Pathieu is not at the desk & is on the field, its been Baca solo. Unless we're getting closer to finding out who's Bradley's replacement going to be?

Tanja, Terrell, and Hosea (before he got sick) have made several appearances, as well. Liz Nagy seems to only show if they want a co-anchor AND Stacey is off.

I actually like the rotating chair (though they really could use another regular anchor in the fold right now) alongside Stacey for now. It's fun to see some of the reporters get some desk time. Someone on Twitter said that Stacey is like Kelly Ripa right now.

If they did, by some chance to go internal for the official replacement, I'm cool with Eric. He was pretty good for having never anchored on 7, and that's promising for a first time. On the other hand, Goudie was hilariously awkward when doing a cooking segment and then grilling a circus performer about animal abuse in a light feature.

• Like 3

A couple of signs have popped up in the last few days that hint at the retirement of the 'First Alert Weather' branding in favor of the Accuweather name.

First, Cheryl accidentally let this 7-day demo make it to air last week, and then a promo (screenshot only) was posted on Vimeo this afternoon...

936372836_bandicam2017-03-3020-01-13-924.thumb.png.1b13250c2141d498aa2880d6edecd632.png

268530874_bandicam2017-04-0318-07-12-257.thumb.png.e9b9a3a990d4d2a063540d8973ec4fbd.png

A couple of signs have popped up in the last few days that hint at the retirement of the 'First Alert Weather' branding in favor of the Accuweather name.

First, Cheryl accidentally let this 7-day demo make it to air last week, and then a promo (screenshot only) was posted on Vimeo this afternoon...

[ATTACH=full]3810[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]3811[/ATTACH]

How boring....

They also removed the FA logo from under the weatherperson's name during teases, replacing it with the simple "Meteorologist" title.

Phil also let one slip at 7, but used the proper one at another point...

Old: 1338241761_1bandicam2017-04-0319-00-24-755.thumb.png.f7998c92f97c4a57d3455b6fe0f66bf4.png

Didn't someone around here once say that stations have to pay (whoever) to use the First Alert brand? If so, this is about the same time of year they introduced the brand in 2014.

1741023553_1bandicam2017-04-0319-19-42-605.thumb.png.e33ed3c613881399e044bcc38eded878.png

• Like 5

They also removed the FA logo from under the weatherperson's name during teases, replacing it with the simple "Meteorologist" title.

Phil also let one slip at 7, but used the proper one at another point...

Old: [ATTACH]3816[/ATTACH] . . . . New: [ATTACH]3815[/ATTACH]

Didn't someone around here once say that stations have to pay (whoever) to use the First Alert brand? If so, this is about the same time of year they introduced the brand in 2014.

Interesting that the new one is missing the "Last Year" line...

Other than the logo they are identical otherwise...

I still vote for "ABC7 Live Doppler 7 MAX 7 Weather" :D

Interesting that the new one is missing the "Last Year" line...

Other than the logo they are identical otherwise...

I still vote for "ABC7 Live Doppler 7 MAX 7 Weather" :D

"...To the MAXXXXXX"

The "Last Year" is optional. Most do it most of the time, but Jerry uses it all the time. As for any rebranding, I have a feeling a full transition will take place when the new opens debut, but when that happens is anyone's guess. I don't know if there's going to be any larger makeover with it, but I'm inclined to say no. I'd imagine they they won't debut anything until they get all of their outstanding talent back, as they filmed the talent shots after Karen and Hosea went on leave (in addition to the lack of a weekend anchor). The latter returns next month, the former...hopefully sometime.

By the way, today was Frank Mathie's last day. I'll probably post the video tomorrow.

With WLS switching to the AccuWeather branding (like some of the other ABC O&Os), I wonder if WMAQ will jump onto the FIRST ALERT branding for their weather (joining other NBC O&Os).

With WLS switching to the AccuWeather branding (like some of the other ABC O&Os), I wonder if WMAQ will jump onto the FIRST ALERT branding for their weather (joining other NBC O&Os).

They've had the Storm Team brand for the better part of 5 years, and other NBC O&O's use it, too, so I doubt it's a priority.

Dang, in retrospect, I don't know how I missed this. StormTracker Live doesn't have anything First Alert on it. Shoulda seen this coming a month and a half ago.

IMG_0195_zpsewvasw2p.jpg

• Like 1

Dang, in retrospect, I don't know how I missed this. StormTracker Live doesn't have anything First Alert on it. Shoulda seen this coming a month and a half ago.

IMG_0195_zpsewvasw2p.jpg

Tsk tsk J... you're slipping...

I posted this in the classic video thread, but I'm dropping it here, as well, considering how rare stuff from this era is from ABC 7. It's a real treat for me, too, as these promos aired just before I really started paying attention to the product. It's also an awesome reminder of the stability of the station, considering that 3 anchors remain at the station, 1 in the field, 1 still does a parade, 2 retired only last year, 1 is with a competitor in-town, only 1 passed away...and whatever the hell Diann Burns is up to. Everybody talks about Linda Yu, but can we talk for a moment how Alan Krashesky hasn't aged in 20 years, either? Kinda scary.

• Like 5

I posted this in the classic video thread, but I'm dropping it here, as well, considering how rare stuff from this era is from ABC 7. It's a real treat for me, too, as these promos aired just before I really started paying attention to the product. It's also an awesome reminder of the stability of the station, considering that 3 anchors remain at the station, 1 in the field, 1 still does a parade, 2 retired only last year, 1 is with a competitor in-town, only 1 passed away...and whatever the hell Diann Burns is up to. Everybody talks about Linda Yu, but can we talk for a moment how Alan Krashesky hasn't aged in 20 years, either? Kinda scary.

Do we know what year these are from?

Do we know what year these are from?

I'm betting 1998, as this would have solidified Kathy and Alan at 6 and introduced Ron at 5 after Floyd Kalber's retirement. Also, their 50th anniversary (as WENR, WBKB and WLS) would've been that year.

One other thing...what other station in the country can boast that 4 men that were each lead anchor at some point or another at the same station (over what is now a 50 year span) comprised the evening male anchor roster at once? Joel came aboard in '67 and quickly moved to lead status, joined by Fahey Flynn the following year. John came back in '84, Ron took the helm in 2002, and Alan got promoted last year. The only time one of those guys weren't fronting the 10 o'clock news was when Joel and Fahey got demoted 1981/2 for the failed Tim Weigel experiment (aka The Dark Ages).

Feder's off this week and none of the other regular blogs/publications have mentioned this, so YOU READ IT HERE FIRST, dammit. :D

No bio online, and I don't know if or when he'll ever make it on-air, but it looks like ABC 7 has added a digital journalist in 2017 Northwestern grad Jesse Kirsch. His non-station Twitter bio references time spent with the network and WLNS in Lansing. He was also news director of the school's student news product.

https://twitter.com/JesseKirschABC7

His first stories...

http://abc7chicago.com/society/vietnam-vet-reunited-with-lost-purple-heart-medal-/1840414/

http://abc7chicago.com/sports/46-year-cubs-season-ticket-holder-wants-a-repeat-title/1857824/

The reporters are officially getting younger than me. It's hell to get old.

• Like 8

22 years old, and already working at the #1 rated news outlet in the 3rd largest American city...

I'm not quite sure what to make of that. I thought Rob Elgas and Cheryl Scott were young blood, but at least they're seasoned in their respective positions. Am I the only one that finds this a bit unnerving?

• Like 1

I think it's too early to tell, at least for me. I actually kind of like the idea of having a new, young presence if a station's going to have a designated digital person. It's generally lower-risk, and if they pay their dues, they eventually get promoted to on-air, or go somewhere else with a solid entry on the resume. Also, I'm inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt, considering the hiring under Idler and company has been way more hit than miss. He comes from a good program, likely has a decent idea of the market because of it, and his initial reports have been serviceable. Besides, the last gentleman to be hired at such a young age now anchors at 5, 6, and 10, in case anyone needed a success story.

By that logic, Jesse will be promoted to lead anchor in 2051, give or take a year.

• Like 1