The Definitive ABC 7 Thread

24994J

This is nothing new. Baca has filled in on the weekend evening, but only when she wasn't anchoring the morning show (which she did today).

The question is will she be on tomorrow morning?

The answer to that question is NO. Tanja Babich anchoring the Sunday morning news today.

• Like 2

If your scorecard predicted Liz Nagy solo anchoring this evening, you win!

I don't even think she'd ever filled-in "solo" when she was at 'SVN. Anywho, she was paired with Karen at 10pm.

Also unrelated to this, is this the first time 7 is not having its annual Air & Water Show special after the news? They're showing 190 North instead.

• Like 1

I don't even think she'd ever filled-in "solo" when she was at 'SVN. Anywho, she was paired with Karen at 10pm.

Also unrelated to this, is this the first time 7 is not having its annual Air & Water Show special after the news? They're showing 190 North instead.

So nobody is running a special on the Air and Water Show this year? That's a shame.

• Like 2

First time in a long time, anyway. They opted to spread out like a dozen reports across the newscasts all week, plus doing the Friday morning show from the beach. I miss the nostalgia of the special, but I think they assembled more viewer-friendly content than the (dare I say) repetitive plane descriptions every year. Tracy and Jerry contributed to these reports, and watching all the segments back to back on the designated webpage is likely more than they'd fit into the 30 minute special.

And oddly enough, Liz Nagy filling-in for Ravi at 10 ALONGSIDE Karen Jordan. Can't remember the last time Ravi or Karen was off and the other didn't anchor solo. In fact, seems like ever since Karen returned from maternity leave, they're hardly ever on together anymore. Or at least more often than not. (That is, more often solo than not solo. Oy vey, sometimes I really hate English)

• Like 2

So nobody is running a special on the Air and Water Show this year? That's a shame.

Seems like stations are cutting back on things like this unless they are the 'presenting TV sponsor/partner.' WGN didn't air Bud Billiken parade special (WLS did), no Air and Water show specials, etc.. The Auto Show is the only exception I believe.

And oddly enough, Liz Nagy filling-in for Ravi at 10 ALONGSIDE Karen Jordan. Can't remember the last time Ravi or Karen was off and the other didn't anchor solo. In fact, seems like ever since Karen returned from maternity leave, they're hardly ever on together anymore. Or at least more often than not. (That is, more often solo than not solo. Oy vey, sometimes I really hate English)

There was a point after her return that they had anchored more together filling in on weeknights than their normal shift (still might be that way). True story, I swear. I won't disclose how I've kept track, because all y'all would think I was nuts. Oddly enough, I don't recall Karen ever getting a co-anchor during this pregnancy, though I know Ben sat alongside her during her first. Since the new set debuted, Hosea once co-anchored with her, and Judy and Tanja each filled in alongside Ravi, but those were rare one-offs.

Seems like stations are cutting back on things like this unless they are the 'presenting TV sponsor/partner.' WGN didn't air Bud Billiken parade special (WLS did), no Air and Water show specials, etc.. The Auto Show is the only exception I believe.

WGN stop carrying the Bud after the 2011 broadcast (it was also simulcasted on WGN America). WCIU actually carried the 2012 and '13 broadcast. But since 2014, its been exclusively on WLS.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only parade WGN has is Thanksgiving, while WLS has everything else?

In other weird anchor combo news...

[MEDIA=instagram]BX82kJbFB5QqzP2Q1QLOMv6pdXvttfZLNtO5Sk0[/MEDIA]

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only parade WGN has is Thanksgiving, while WLS has everything else?

Pretty much. At one point, WLS did carry the Thanksgiving Day parade (not sure when they started carrying it, but sister-station KABC aired on a tape delay), while WGN carried the Lights Festival on Michigan Avenue. That was before they switched coverages in 2007. WLS was the original station to carry the Lights Fest, before WGN took it in the mid 90s.

FWIW, they did livestream both days of the show on their website and app.

Pretty much. At one point, WLS did carry the Thanksgiving Day parade (not sure when they started carrying

WFLD carried the parade in 1996 (on a Saturday with Bernie Mac and Anne Kavanaugh (sp?) as hosts). WLS took over the following year when the parade moved to Thanksgiving Day and on State Street then WGN became the TV sponsor in 2007. I think I got that right.

Pretty much. At one point, WLS did carry the Thanksgiving Day parade (not sure when they started carrying it, but sister-station KABC aired on a tape delay), while WGN carried the Lights Festival on Michigan Avenue. That was before they switched coverages in 2007. WLS was the original station to carry the Lights Fest, before WGN took it in the mid 90s.

The official YouTube account for the McDonald's Thanksgiving Parade has full-length versions of some old WLS parades.

• Like 2

Jerry's done more 10pm newscasts in the last month than he did in the 12 months before (since the shift swap). He's filling in tonight as I'd expect Cheryl to helm the Red Cross drive tomorrow.

• Like 2

Liz Nagy has been sent to report from Houston. Also, the local phone banks have been extended til the end of the 10 o'clock news, as they are on pace to smash $4 million in Chicago area donations.

I wonder why they're not doing a cold open at the beginning of the 10pm lately.

I bet since all the power was out, they couldn't keep all the news cold.

Cold opens are best served at or below 40 degrees.

Don't leave your opens out in the direct sun...they can spoil very quickly...and cause illness.