The Definitive ABC 7 Thread

24994J

The spiffed up cable access level talent names are pretty ugly hanging above the graphic... good for 1990... kind of dumb in 2017...

Hopefully by 2018 they will be able to cram more crap onto the L3.

I'm feeling a triple stock type ticker...with a little animation of a schnauzer.

The spiffed up cable access level talent names are pretty ugly hanging above the graphic... good for 1990... kind of dumb in 2017...

Actually, those are original to the 2013 package. In fact, they even go back to the final update of the '05 look.

• Like 5

Actually, those are original to the 2013 package. In fact, they even go back to the final update of the '05 look.

At least that had the flashy thing below the name... there's nothing to the current ones...

At least that had the flashy thing below the name... there's nothing to the current ones...

I do like the old one more, but the current one does look better when the full animation is seen.

By the way, those updates were only used last night. Everything seen today has been the (better-looking) L3 teases from last fall.

I do like the old one more, but the current one does look better when the full animation is seen.

By the way, those updates were only used last night. Everything seen today has been the (better-looking) L3 teases from last fall.

I just have a thing about text hanging out with no animations... the regular ones they use now have a blue line and flash effect... I hope that one from last night was just an aberration....

The ones last night had the blue line and flash, too. It's just when I got the image. It fades away when the names are on-screen from more than a few seconds.

Last weekend, Nagy fill-in anchored the morning shows with Pathieu.

This morning, Nagy is anchoring again, this time with Baca (isn't it a first for this pair?)

Yes. Liz has also been paired with Tanja a couple times on weekends.

You can add John Garcia to the list of anchors on the weekend morning carousel. I was trying to think of the last time he filled in on the newscast he originated, and I'm thinking like '08 or '09, when the economy dump and fill-ins were scrubbed. Funny, though, I never remember him anchoring with Stacey; only with Kevin, oddly enough.

So much for an alleged hiring freeze. It looks like a Chicago news veteran wins the political duties at ABC 7, as 19-year Fox32 veteran Craig Wall is expected to sign with WLS when WFLD's 90-day qualifying offer period ends.

http://www.robertfeder.com/2017/06/08/craig-wall-headed-abc-7-lisa-chavarria-joins-nbc-5/

Rob Elgas anchoring alone at 5pm tonight.

He and Judy, solo, appear to be the back-ups on weekends, though with Karen back, they likely won't be needed as often.

• Like 1

Somebody new named Kristin Byrne is doing traffic for Roz Varon this morning. According to a TVNT member, she came from WEWS.

Yes, she was an Anchor / Reporter at WEWS and today was her first day...

It certainly appears that Diane's stock is dropping. Yes, she's on vacation, but it seems that Byrne will be permanent enough that she won't be needed to fill in anymore, in addition to her heavily reduced fill-in role alongside Stacey on the weekends.

Also, it might be important to address the rumor put forth by CRM, that Roz is possibly leaning toward/being forced into retirement. We just might be seeing a lot more of Kristin very soon.

It certainly appears that Diane's stock is dropping. Yes, she's on vacation, but it seems that Byrne will be permanent enough that she won't be needed to fill in anymore, in addition to her heavily reduced fill-in role alongside Stacey on the weekends.

Also, it might be important to address the rumor put forth by CRM, that Roz is possibly leaning toward/being forced into retirement. We just might be seeing a lot more of Kristin very soon.

Roz is closing in on 30 yrs @ WLS, so it's not surprising they are looking for someone new to take her place. Could Tracy be next??

Roz is closing in on 30 yrs @ WLS, so it's not surprising they are looking for someone new to take her place. Could Tracy be next??

It would be nice to see her get to that benchmark. Hopefully she's around another year and a half (she was hired when the morning show started as updates at the beginning of the year, and before it was expanded in April of '89, right?)

As for weather, I still think when Jerry retires, that there should be a 3-way position change. It's risky, but the station has proven many times over that they can plug in anyone just about anywhere. Phil takes Jerry's shift, Tracy to weekend evenings, and Larry to mornings. Tracy's would seem like a demotion to some, but it would get her off the 2am wake-up call, give her some family time during the week, just as her girls are starting to get a little older, and it would open her up to getting some weeknight airtime.

Just a thought.

(I do wonder if they'd go the platoon route with Phil and Larry when Jerry leaves. It's not something you see on prime weeknight shifts, but it would certainly be more cost-effective.)

I still think when Jerry retires, that there should be a 3-way position change. It's risky, but the station has proven many times over that they can plug in anyone just about anywhere. Phil takes Jerry's shift, Tracy to weekend evenings, and Larry to mornings. Tracy's would seem like a demotion to some, but it would get her off the 2am wake-up call, give her some family time during the week, just as her girls are starting to get a little older, and it would open her up to getting some weeknight airtime.

Just a thought.

Makes sense. Didn't she and Mike Caplan switch roles early on in their careers @ WLS? I could swear that she did weekend nights and Caplan worked weekday AM, but I could be wrong.

Makes sense. Didn't she and Mike Caplan switch roles early on in their careers @ WLS? I could swear that she did weekend nights and Caplan worked weekday AM, but I could be wrong.

No, you're right. A switch took place between the two.

Butler replaced Avalos on the weekend spot. Caplan took Taft's AM spot after Taft replaced Deshler on the evening spots (Taft was already at 4pm). Not sure when they Caplan & Butler switched though (could've been '95?).