The Definitive ABC 7 Thread

24994J

Whether or not the new talent opens ever make it to air, something is definitely in the works, and it's starting with a logo update. The gray Circle 7 appears to be on it's way out, as a white (but not flat) model is on it's way in. The rendering of it in some uses reminds me of the higher-contrast model that WPVI is using in their new opens. Just a couple samples I've noticed over the last month or so...

972638090_bandicam2017-10-0413-00-28-908.thumb.png.2aa31e71b45707e3879c786889aa0f07.png

58990414_bandicam2017-09-2718-20-55-006.thumb.png.b0d5ba27d34ff417053a3297c94359d2.png

The headshots used here are from the talent open shoot...

950906010_bandicam2017-10-0422-34-24-342.thumb.png.b30d898d3e5af9fe3fc2000e6d4bfb8e.png

Three logos at once, for fun. Also note the cuff links, a gift from Mrs. Krashesky...

1391894250_bandicam2017-10-0422-32-59-134.thumb.png.cdb980ee1827d9daa13ab450274ed272.png

I saw this billboard last week, and it made it into Feder's article this morning (also from the aforementioned open reshoots)...

ABC-7-billboard.jpg

The non-news programming bugs have changed, too, with redone animations. I only have a still of the WCL, but it animates similarly to the following bug...

962251459_bandicam2017-09-2900-33-15-666.thumb.png.d707a27a04b61b573c9c6bc67cccbcef.png

[MEDIA=imgur]SMSO3nB[/MEDIA]

Yes, overall it's fairly minor, but as it's seeping into the newscasts, I'm left to guess that yet another October (what would be the 4th in 5 years) might mean some more changes.

Whether or not the new talent opens ever make it to air, something is definitely in the works, and it's starting with a logo update. The gray Circle 7 appears to be on it's way out, as a white (but not flat) model is on it's way in. The rendering of it in some uses reminds me of the higher-contrast model that WPVI is using in their new opens. Just a couple samples I've noticed over the last month or so...

[ATTACH=full]4620[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]4619[/ATTACH]

The headshots used here are from the talent open shoot...

[ATTACH=full]4621[/ATTACH]

Three logos at once, for fun. Also note the cuff links, a gift from Mrs. Krashesky...

[ATTACH=full]4622[/ATTACH]

I saw this billboard last week, and it made it into Feder's article this morning (also from the aforementioned open reshoots)...

ABC-7-billboard.jpg

The non-news programming bugs have changed, too, with redone animations. I only have a still of the WCL, but it animates similarly to the following bug...

[ATTACH=full]4623[/ATTACH]

[MEDIA=imgur]SMSO3nB[/MEDIA]

Yes, overall it's fairly minor, but as it's seeping into the newscasts, I'm left to guess that yet another October (what would be the 4th in 5 years) might mean some more changes.

Ahoy matee! There be sweeps ahead!

• Like 2

TIL Terrell Brown's middle name is DeAngelo. Janet Davies called him that during today's Columbus Day Parade.

Is Krashesky's like Fabio or something, because his involvement in this telecast confuses me just as much? :D

Hey guys. I'm new to the forums and I'm just wondering, are they going to ever hire a male weekend morning anchor? We are coming up to a year since Ben Bradley's departure.

Welcome! No, I think Pathieu will be anchoring with Baca on weekend mornings for the long haul. They've been pretty much the default team in those timeslots since Bradley bolted.

Yeah, the listing has been taken off their website, so it's certainly not happening anytime soon. I will be curious, though, if the network will allow them to pick up a part-timer with Podesta leaving. Hell, I wish they'd add to/update the online bios to settle the score on where people stand and who's official employees.

• Like 1

I wish Podesta the best, she's a strong reporter. Also, any guesses on when Jerry's going to retire? If soon, I really hope Cheryl Scott doesn't get chief. Lets hope they give Larry the job and demote her. Cheryl Scott isn't Chief material for market 3. Heck, she's not even chief material for market 20! There are 3 meteorologists that have far more experience than her.

When Cheryl was hired, she was ensured the 10pm spot, which she got, and no one's died. I don't recall hearing anything that she'd get the chief title, though. If she does, I won't be surprised, but I don't believe anything was guaranteed. Heck, it wasn't until the new opens in 2013 that they really started to push the chief moniker for Jerry. Yes, it was implied and obvious, but rarely spoken. All that said, I'm not sure anyone would get promoted to succeed Jerry in the current economic climate at ABC, especially if the WCIU newscast's future is ever put into question (they discuss the matter every year). As for when Jerry's hanging it up, it's anybody's guess. I wouldn't be stunned if he wanted to reach 35 years in 2019, like Alan and Jim, but it might be just as likely that he thinks of another Chicago winter, and announces it soon. I know he did just put his home up for sale, so his retirement MIGHT be coming sooner rather than later.

When Cheryl was hired, she was ensured the 10pm spot, which she got, and no one's died. I don't recall hearing anything that she'd get the chief title, though. If she does, I won't be surprised, but I don't believe anything was guaranteed. Heck, it wasn't until the new opens in 2013 that they really started to push the chief moniker for Jerry. Yes, it was implied and obvious, but rarely spoken. All that said, I'm not sure anyone would get promoted to succeed Jerry in the current economic climate at ABC, especially if the WCIU newscast's future is ever put into question (they discuss the matter every year). As for when Jerry's hanging it up, it's anybody's guess. I wouldn't be stunned if he wanted to reach 35 years in 2019, like Alan and Jim, but it might be just as likely that he thinks of another Chicago winter, and announces it soon. I know he did just put his home up for sale, so his retirement MIGHT be coming sooner rather than later.

I'm Just saying there are better meteorologists at the station who deserve the chief moniker and the 10pm spot more than her.

Yeah, the listing has been taken off their website, so it's certainly not happening anytime soon. I will be curious, though, if the network will allow them to pick up a part-timer with Podesta leaving. Hell, I wish they'd add to/update the online bios to settle the score on where people stand and who's official employees.

They do need to update their bios. Jerry's still reads that he's on at 5pm, 6pm and 10pm. He gave up the 10pm for the 7pm on the U over a year ago. He gave up the 5pm 3 years ago this coming January when Mike Caplan was fired. They still haven't put Liz Nagy's bio and Craig Wall's bio and they been their for a while. Plus it took a year for them to put up a bio for Will Jones. But they updated the bios really quickly when Cheryl Scott joined.

They do need to update their bios. Jerry's still reads that he's on at 5pm, 6pm and 10pm. He gave up the 10pm for the 7pm on the U over a year ago. He gave up the 5pm 3 years ago this coming January when Mike Caplan was fired. They still haven't put Liz Nagy's bio and Craig Wall's bio and they been their for a while. Plus it took a year for them to put up a bio for Will Jones. But they updated the bios really quickly when Cheryl Scott joined.

I don't know how much effort is required to add and subtract, but I believe her bio went up after only after Mike was fired. That said, they managed to move Ron and Linda's bios to the bottom of the page and even more their retirements for about a month before they were permanently removed.

• Like 1

I don't know why Troy doesn't have a bio on the website, though, because Mark Bishop. I also don't know why Dionne's bio isn't up, as Cheryl's was added last week.

This is from Jan 1st 2015. before Mike's firing. It also shows how long they took to get Dionne Miller's bio up, who joined the station 2 months before Cheryl, October of 2014 to be exact. I'm sorry if I'm being rude.

• Like 1

It appears that the layoff fairy swept through ABC 7, and a half dozen off-air positions were eliminated. As for on-air staff, a part-timer is indeed being brought in to fill the void as Laura Podesta's exit approaches. Hinsdale native Megan Hickey comes aboard from WEWS.

http://www.robertfeder.com/2017/10/18/robservations-layoffs-cut-half-dozen-jobs-abc-7/

• Like 1

I don't get why Cheryl Scott needs to be at Wrigley field. She's not a sports nor a news reporter, she's a METEOROLOGIST. They have plenty of reporters there. .

Just in case it rains baseballs... oh wait it was 11-1 so I guess that worked out...

• Like 1

Back in the day, they'd send Mike out to a high school every Friday to preview a football match-up. While they do that now in the form of the morning "Friday Flyover", this isn't much different.

• Like 2