ABC's America This Morning get GMA's L3s

Action Newsroom

Looks like the new ABC bug is permanent. Also being used on The View right now. Semi-transparent but the bug is even colored, using the yellow variant at the moment (not sure if that may change depending on the programming).

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, it seems that (save for a few exceptions) the news division will use the basic blue-ish model. The main network will use the gold model. Individual shows will use either the blue, gold or red models. The affiliates are leaning toward the blue, as well. It's funny though, WABC is the ONLY entity I've seen use the black model.

They changed the logo on World News intro, and it looks a lot better than the old animation. The bug is different, too...same style, but with the updated logo.

I've also noticed that the local affiliate bugs that pop up right after they resume network programing have gotten bigger and less transparent. Or at least this is the case with KDNL.

I will say though, I'm not sure if I like the fact that the bug stays yellow during the entire program. It seems to stick out like a sore yellow thumb to me.

I will say though, I'm not sure if I like the fact that the bug stays yellow during the entire program. It seems to stick out like a sore yellow thumb to me.

I second that. That yellow tint, looks somewhat off. Will it be a different color for some of the news magazines like blue for 20/20 or Primetime. The NBA Finals begin next Thursday. And I wonder which color version will they used during the sports coverage.

I second that. That yellow tint, looks somewhat off. Will it be a different color for some of the news magazines like blue for 20/20 or Primetime. The NBA Finals begin next Thursday. And I wonder which color version will they used during the sports coverage.

Part of me thinks red for ESPN

Part of me thinks red for ESPN

My guess? Basic blue.

I have to give the news division A LOT of credit on the logo roll-out. I haven't seen one shred of the old disc. Everything from commercials to bugs to lower thirds; it all has changed. Other programming, not completely, and the online roll-out has been iffy (at best).

Personally, after seeing it in use in promos, it seriously feels like a major downgrade from the Start Here package.

The colored bug is tacky, and how it appears in promos seems too plain. It needs to be used more like how it was in those graphics posted earlier (with all the effects/stuff).

Personally, after seeing it in use in promos, it seriously feels like a major downgrade from the Start Here package.

The colored bug is tacky, and how it appears in promos seems too plain. It needs to be used more like how it was in those graphics posted earlier (with all the effects/stuff).

You know what? You got a point there. When I watch these promos, there isn't as much surprise or power as the last package. The ABC logo at the end would come like Andy Dick at a nightclub saying "WHAT'S UP EVERYBODY?!?" while this one was like a hipster at a speakeasy saying "Hi I'm looking for a table?" There's no pop here. I guess I admit there is (SHOCKER) one thing I don't like about this new ABC logo.

On Hulu.com the show logo for ABC's This Week has been changed. It includes the new ABC logo but more than that.

http://www.hulu.com/this-week

It looks like the show will get a makeover very soon.

I believe they're getting a new set and moving the show back to the ABC News Washington bureau from the Newseum. Can't exactly remember where I read it, but it should be on one of the media websites from this past week.

I'm guessing we may not have seen the whole package, yet. The logo could be a rather soft roll-out, but everything else may not come until the fall.

I believe they're getting a new set and moving the show back to the ABC News Washington bureau from the Newseum. Can't exactly remember where I read it, but it should be on one of the media websites from this past week.

I don't think they're moving the whole show back to Washington, just the 1 week each month that Martha Raddatz is in for George.

I'm diggin' the new look...

thisweek_zps419d568c.jpg

WATM is using a new watermark. Nothing has changed with a real logo, they're still using the same there, but for syndication, there is a new watermark in all gray with a different font for the 23 and they are using the new ABC logo. This is crazy because it took them at least 10 years to switch from a red, flat ABC logo from Lord knows when to the 3-D ABC ball, a year after its debut.

I don't think they're moving the whole show back to Washington, just the 1 week each month that Martha Raddatz is in for George.

I'm diggin' the new look...

thisweek_zps419d568c.jpg

Here's a sampling of the new graphics. The 2010 election theme is in place now, with a few modifications in the beginning. The New York set remains the same except for the image loop on the monitors (of which there are many). Charlie Gibson remains as the opening VO. Overall, a BIG improvement over what they had before. I'm not really thrilled with the L3's, but it's ABC. That's always the weakest part of any package for them.

[yt]QBsebThicgA[/yt]

Seeing it at the end of promos: blergh. It's overly bland and not as impactful as its predecessor (though I was getting tired of it and thought of it as a major example of polishing the turd that is ABC by the time it was retired). It does manage to look a little better in the World News intro; even though they still didn't bother to make it shine properly, it looks better as a still image. Better than its predecessor; the shiny texture on the 2007 version was overly detailed for something like that. I generally prefer the 2D ABC logo, but I know the TV business likes its shiny stuff...

(Personally - I know this sounds regressive - but the yellow-and-black look from 1998-2002 being revived in some form would be very pleasing to me. Probably isn't bland enough for a major network these days, but still)

(Personally - I know this sounds regressive - but the yellow-and-black look from 1998-2002 being revived in some form would be very pleasing to me. Probably isn't bland enough for a major network these days, but still)

I still think that the yellow and black campaign was THE best image package by an American network EVER (to that point, and since). So clean, well-executed, and totally fresh when it debuted.

I still think that the yellow and black campaign was THE best image package by an American network EVER (to that point, and since). So clean, well-executed, and totally fresh when it debuted.

I second that. I missed that the most. Way better than the overly used Start Here campaign.

I even loved the customized local versions many stations used for local station promos. They were using that image all the way to like 2004. I especially loved the station IDs with those graphics WABC used.

Some aspects of ABC's new promo package are meh. Although I admit, I like the font that's used in it (please tell me what the name is, I have no idea). There are aspects of the package that need a little work, like the ABC News bug for example. IIRC, when the glassy ABC logo rotated to display the ABC News/.com logo, there was a bit of a 3D appearance when the ABC circle logo rotated; the transition doesn't fit well with the new flat logo. The primetime lineup promos shown at the beginning of the evening schedule uses stills - rather than moving video - of cast members/hosts of the network's shows a la TV station promo package.

Archived