NBC cancels Rock Center

CircleSeven

So TheWrap just posted that Rock Center will not return this upcoming season. No word on when their last show is going to be aired

I can't say I didn't see this coming. After Koppel bitched about the show's constantly moving all over the place.

Maybe NBC should start a news channel (not MSNBC for obvious reasons), and keep Rock Center as a featured program.

Yes, because Koppel's never bitched about anything else before.

I'm going to miss it, but the network screwed it royally from the start. The NBC execs don't understand that shows (in whatever time slot) need time to grow. And that goes for all shows in their line-up; I think 4 or 5 other shows got canned today, too.

I'm going to miss it, but the network screwed it royally from the start. The NBC execs don't understand that shows (in whatever time slot) need time to grow. And that goes for all shows in their line-up; I think 4 or 5 other shows got canned today, too.

They want instant success! Everybody is heading to their computer for information. Networks are at a loss as to how to gain those once great viewership numbers back quickly... As viewers, we tell them exactly what they need to do. But do they listen? Nah. They are too important to listen to us lowly viewers. *sigh*

Yep. They're 'whitney', '1600 penn', 'guys with kids' (fallon), 'up all night', and 'go on' (somewhat surprising). They had pick up the most stable of it all...'Chicago Fire'. Which reminded me of this:

I admit, I never watched Rock Center, but I'd heard it was a pretty good show, so I'm sad to hear this. I wish there were more newsmagazines in the vein of 60 Minutes, which Rock Center seemed to be. All the other "newsmagazines" these days are basically filler in graveyard slots/nights.

Don't they remember that a few of the biggest hits in their history (Cheers and Seinfeld most readily come to mind, both series failed to rate in the Top 30 in their first few seasons) took time to find an audience?

I admit' date=' I never watched [i']Rock Center[/i], but I'd heard it was a pretty good show, so I'm sad to hear this. I wish there were more newsmagazines in the vein of 60 Minutes, which Rock Center seemed to be. All the other "newsmagazines" these days are basically filler in graveyard slots/nights.

Nothing is quite like 60 Minutes, but Rock Center was a grounded newsmagazine with interesting stories. When they announced Rock Center was replacing the Playboy Club, I thought they were rushing a newsmagazine fronted by big names onto the air to fill time. Then I caught it a few times and was pleasantly proved wrong.

How is NBC ever going to get out of the basement if they keep shuffling programs around?

It'll likely take longer than everyone thinks at this point, and may get worse before things actually settle. But still, playing musical scheduling chairs with Rock Center was not the best way to go in the long run.

It'll likely take longer than everyone thinks at this point, and may get worse before things actually settle. But still, playing musical scheduling chairs with Rock Center was not the best way to go in the long run.

Maybe NBC and Sinclair are a perfect match!

Big question is what will happen to the current Nightly News studio that shares with Rock Center?

They should give it to WNBC and let them use it from time to time. Hell, WNBC should just be in that entire studio to start off with rather than the closet that they're in now.

Big question is what will happen to the current Nightly News studio that shares with Rock Center?

Nightly News will still originate from there, but they may also continue to use the space for Dateline as well.

Maybe NBC should start a news channel (not MSNBC for obvious reasons), and keep Rock Center as a featured program.

When MSNBC signed on in 1996, "The News with Brian Williams" was their flagship program.

If Rock Center is remembered for anything whatsoever, it will be for Bob Costas's interview of Jerry Sandusky where he dug his hole (even deeper). It would be interesting if it was picked up on any other of the Peacock properties; I admit I only watched it a few times but those few times I came away pretty satisfied.

If Rock Center is remembered for anything whatsoever' date=' it will be for Bob Costas's interview of Jerry Sandusky where he dug his hole (even deeper).

And Costas should've gotten every accolade in the book for that interview alone. I don't think he would want it to be his best interview. But to me IMO, that's his best interview ever.

When MSNBC signed on in 1996, "The News with Brian Williams" was their flagship program.

What happened?

In 2002 NBC moved the program to CNBC to make room for a revival of Donahue. The show, renamed The News on CNBC, was cancelled in 2004 soon after Brian Williams left (he was replaced by John Seigenthaler, who had anchored weekend editions and was the primary substitute for Williams).

In 2002 NBC moved the program to CNBC to make room for revival of Donahue. The show, renamed The News on CNBC, was cancelled in 2004 soon after Brian Williams left (he was replaced by John Seigenthaler, who had anchored weekend editions and was the primary substitute for Williams).

I totally forgot that "The News" was moved to 8pm for its' last year on MSNBC. It always registered with me as a 9pm broadcast.

Of course, Donahue's revival was so disastrously received (purportedly, Chris Matthews wanted him out) that MSNBC turned to Keith Olbermann for a second time. And the rest is, well, history.

Archived