CBS62 (WWJ) New Logo...again...

chrelevator

What does ERP levels have anything to do with the station's branding? Even if it trails from one spot to the next.

If nobody can tune you in, what's the point of mentioning such a crappy channel number? CBS Detroit WWJ is the correct branding.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perception, however, IS reality. Even as that distinction is very well true. The Cleveland/Akron/Canton metro has had the same problem for decades.

CBS could have got creative and actually purchased WTOL and WLNS, paired them with WWJ-TV at its' relaunch, and positioned the combo as "CBS 6/11." But, again, the circumstances that led to them buying WGPR at the literal last minute would have kept them from pulling an Allbritton.

Yes, Cleveland/Akron/Canton is a gem. Interesting concept with the Toledo and Lansing stations. That would indeed be a great way to jump start a Detroit news department ... I can almost see "the power of 3".

But was the technology there to pull this off?

Perception, however, IS reality. Even as that distinction is very well true. The Cleveland/Akron/Canton metro has had the same problem for decades.

CBS could have got creative and actually purchased WTOL and WLNS, paired them with WWJ-TV at its' relaunch, and positioned the combo as "CBS 6/11." But, again, the circumstances that led to them buying WGPR at the literal last minute would have kept them from pulling an Allbritton.

Yes, Cleveland/Akron/Canton is a gem. Interesting concept with the Toledo and Lansing stations. That would indeed be a great way to jump start a Detroit news department ... I can almost see "the power of 3".

But was the technology there to pull this off?

If nobody can tune you in, what's the point of mentioning such a crappy channel number? CBS Detroit WWJ is the correct branding.

Who's not tuning them in? Please tell me that. That's like asking who's not watching. All because they're the last channel on the dial? Folks must be watching, because of their primetime shows, since they are #1. If they didn't change its branding twice, they probably would've kept that CBS Detroit branding, or would've kept the WWJ-TV brand. And since you've said "CBS Detroit WWJ" is THE correct branding, do you think CBS is going to hurry up and change to that branding tomorrow? Hell No!

To me, they'd made the right decision to honor their OTA channel number, since the days of Detroit's 62 CBS (the last time they honor their channel number). Some have said brand it CBS 15, because of their cable allotment. And even because they don't have a news department, I think the station will do just fine without it. Besides we have three in-house news clubs (2, 4 & 7) that are highly competitive.

If I really had my way, it wouldn't be CBS 62. It would be "Channel 62". But I doubt that's going to happen. The non-CBS mandate branding stations uses the station's callsign for their brand. I don't think they'll brand any stations as "Channel" whatever.

Oh yeah and one more thing, there's no UHF or VHF thing. We all know in the digital era, most stations are on the UHF dial. In Detroit, WJBK moved to WXYZ's former analog allotment, VHF 7 for its digital ops, whil WXYZ kept UHF 41. Why are we still talking about changing channels, because they're on the highest channel number on the dial. If that was the case in changing channels, it would be easy street to change channels for KFVE & KGMB to not only by switch their calls, but switch the virtual channel numbers as well (as you see it didn't happen because they can't change the VC numbers). The ATSC A/65 PSIP standard is the law all stations have to follow, whether they or we like it or not.

Yes, because things always go so well when crappy channel numbers are dumped...

Achoo.

nbc_v3_dgo_masthead.gif?w=500

Who's not tuning them in? Please tell me that. That's like asking who's not watching. All because they're the last channel on the dial? Folks must be watching, because of their primetime shows, since they are #1. If they didn't change its branding twice, they probably would've kept that CBS Detroit branding, or would've kept the WWJ-TV brand. And since you've said "CBS Detroit WWJ" is THE correct branding, do you think CBS is going to hurry up and change to that branding tomorrow? Hell No!

To me, they'd made the right decision to honor their OTA channel number, since the days of Detroit's 62 CBS (the last time they honor their channel number). Some have said brand it CBS 15, because of their cable allotment. And even because they don't have a news department, I think the station will do just fine without it. Besides we have three in-house news clubs (2, 4 & 7) that are highly competitive.

If I really had my way, it wouldn't be CBS 62. It would be "Channel 62". But I doubt that's going to happen. The non-CBS mandate branding stations uses the station's callsign for their brand. I don't think they'll brand any stations as "Channel" whatever.

Oh yeah and one more thing, there's no UHF or VHF thing. We all know in the digital era, most stations are on the UHF dial. In Detroit, WJBK moved to WXYZ's former analog allotment, VHF 7 for its digital ops, whil WXYZ kept UHF 41. Why are we still talking about changing channels, because they're on the highest channel number on the dial. If that was the case in changing channels, it would be easy street to change channels for KFVE & KGMB to not only by switch their calls, but switch the virtual channel numbers as well (as you see it didn't happen because they can't change the VC numbers).

Since there is no real dominant station in Detroit and three competitive stations (WDIV, WXYZ and WJBK are all pretty close I believe), there really isn't room for them to grow anything in-house without being stuck in a distant 4th or worse, even if they tried really hard. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if Channel 9 in Windsor gets higher ratings at news time on the US side than WWJ's non-news shows. It is usually easier to start anew when someone dominates and you can at least get to #2 pretty easily.

Maybe they could form a news share agreement with 2, 4 or 7 and run their newscasts, even if time-shifted or at odd hours?

Yes, because things always go so well when crappy channel numbers are dumped...

Achoo.

nbc_v3_dgo_masthead.gif?w=500

As you see KNSD doesn't use that brand anymore. Sadly they don't use the "39" in their branding anymore. But San Diego is pretty much a different case where there's a heavy cable rate there. That's why 3 stations (KNSD, KSWB & KUSI) tend to use their cable allotments, instead of using its OTA allotments. I'm not a fan of it. But hey, that's what they do.

Since there is no real dominant station in Detroit and three competitive stations (WDIV, WXYZ and WJBK are all pretty close I believe), there really isn't room for them to grow anything in-house without being stuck in a distant 4th or worse, even if they tried really hard. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if Channel 9 in Windsor gets higher ratings at news time on the US side than WWJ's non-news shows. It is usually easier to start anew when someone dominates and you can at least get to #2 pretty easily.

Maybe they could form a news share agreement with 2, 4 or 7 and run their newscasts, even if time-shifted or at odd hours?

That is exactly why the newscasts failed in the first place. There wasn't/isn't much of the pie left for another party. WWJ was able to make a go at it through the Viacom merger & WKBD's newsroom. But, viewers were already so established in their news viewing habits it didn't make a bit of difference. WKBD was an also-ran in the market and all they were doing was shifting that to WWJ. So, you took a fourth place newscast duplicated it and put it on two stations. They might have pulled the plug a little to quick and should have maybe dumped some cash into the operation at that point. But, they were soooo far behind I get why they threw in the towel.

This whole paragraph can be repeated for the STL market, too. Just sub KNDL for WWJ. STL also had strong indy, KPLR, thrown in the mix. Again, viewers might have moved for their network tv viewing. But, they didn't hang around they went back to their familar station for news. KDNL also started right away when the switch happened and gave it a go for quite some time vs. WWJ. But, the viewers never came.

When WWJ/WKBD cancelled their newscasts in early 00's they turned it over to WXYZ. They ran a WXYZ produced newscast for little while after. But, that didn't help bring (or retain) the viewers either. In fact I'm pretty sure WXYZ still has access to and is a part of CBS Newspath.

You guys may say channel numbers don't matter, but human nature says they still do. In AM radio stations on the low end of the dial have better propagation just like TV. More importantly, people remember 700 a lot better than a 1510. I think the same thing is true on FM ... I don't know what the eff is on the high end of the dial anymore.

Same holds true for street names ... 5th Ave. Or 139th St? Interstate 5 or interstate 670?

Same holds true for product names ... Lower numbers are just easier to remember.

And if youre flipping the up button on a remote ... 2, 4, 7, 9 ... Who the heck is going to keep flipping all the way up to 62?

You guys may say channel numbers don't matter, but human nature says they still do. In AM radio stations on the low end of the dial have better propagation just like TV. More importantly, people remember 700 a lot better than a 1510. I think the same thing is true on FM ... I don't know what the eff is on the high end of the dial anymore.

Same holds true for street names ... 5th Ave. Or 139th St? Interstate 5 or interstate 670?

Same holds true for product names ... Lower numbers are just easier to remember.

And if youre flipping the up button on a remote ... 2, 4, 7, 9 ... Who the heck is going to keep flipping all the way up to 62?

They don't need to flip all the way. They don't even need to do that. Those folks in Southeastern Michigan know what channel their CBS station is. There's absolutely no need for them to change it. Even if you want CBS to change to one of those smaller numbers over-the-air, it's not going to happen. They are following the LAW!!!! Just like every other station have to do. They cannot change their virtual channels to just any channel outside of its former analog channel.

As I said earlier. I have no problem with their current virtual channel allotment. If they'd would've taken care of getting CBS from those other stations, then we wouldn't have this discussion. Now, one solution could be that CBS could brand on its digital channel number 44. They're several stations that now are using their digital allotment number for their branding (WVFX, WOAY, KCVU). But like I said, CBS is not going to confuse its viewers in Southeast Michigan. And if you think they'll bring back CBS Detroit branding, you better think twice. So face it, CBS will stay on VC 62 from here on out, whether we like it or not.

If virtual analog channel numbers were still important Fox would have never bought WJZY channel 46 or WMYT channel 55.

Nobody said they are the ONLY thing that is important, but its one of many factors. Besides, Charlotte was a 2-VHF market. In Detroit, all channels of any significance were on the VHF side.

Maybe what CBS should have done was pull an XETV San Diego 6 with Channel 9 in Windsor, which is exempt from the Canadian content rules.

Nobody said they are the ONLY thing that is important, but its one of many factors. Besides, Charlotte was a 2-VHF market. In Detroit, all channels of any significance were on the VHF side.

Maybe what CBS should have done was pull an XETV San Diego 6 with Channel 9 in Windsor, which is exempt from the Canadian content rules.

This would reverse what happened 5 years ago in San Diego. Why would CBS go that low and affiliate/acquire a Canadian TV station in Windsor, Ontario, which its a CBC owned station, which is owned by the Canadian Government? All because they have lower channel numbers than 62? That doesn't make any sense. CBS is not going to get a station across the border because they're on the last channel on the dial.

You might as well say the New World deal should've never happened and CBS should've stayed on Channel 2 then.

This would reverse what happened 5 years ago in San Diego. Why would CBS go that low and affiliate/acquire a Canadian TV station in Windsor, Ontario, which its a CBC owned station, which is owned by the Canadian Government? All because they have lower channel numbers than 62? That doesn't make any sense. CBS is not going to get a station across the border because they're on the last channel on the dial.

You might as well say the New World deal should've never happened and CBS should've stayed on Channel 2 then.

If a channel number doesn't matter, then why should having a transmitter across the river, with studios and offices in Detroit, matter? LMA the signal and send stuff to the tower by STL. After all, CKLW once had offices in Detroit.

Better yet, swap. CBS 9 Detroit CWWJ ... or better yet, call letters CBS.

And CBC 62 WCBW ... LOL.

You have admit that CBS 9 has a better ring to it. With the right amount of money anything can happen.

EDIT: Cross-border deal to reassign virtual Channel 9 to WWJ?

It's doubtful that WWJ has too much audience share anyway. WTOL, WLNS, and WNEM probably eat into it greatly.

Exactly. Had CBS been unable to purchase WGPR, the only option would have been to pipe in both WTOL and WLNS into Detroit. Both actually had decent OTA analog signals that reached much of the Detroit metro (hence, why CBS could have theoretically attempted an "ABC 33/40" solution, with WWJ-TV as the uncredited central station). WNEM's flipping to CBS was also a part of the solution, per the affiliation pact Meredith made with CBS.

And don't forget that WTOL long enjoyed widespread distribution on cable in Canada as a CBS affiliate of record.

That, along with CBS having revenue and rating juggernauts WWJ-AM and WXYT-FM, coupled with the stigma of being the misfit O&O of the group, is really why CBS is more than willing to let WWJ-TV be nothing more than what it is.

If virtual analog channel numbers were still important Fox would have never bought WJZY channel 46 or WMYT channel 55.

Although WMYT should have been rebranded "My55". But I digress. Fox is actually putting effort into starting a news op for WJZY... serious effort. And Charlotte is a smaller market than Detroit, but equally as competitive.

Weigel has given some effort into building a news op for WDJT, and even as WDJT has an equally "embarrassing" virtual channel number as WWJ-TV, that hasn't stopped them. Likewise with Tribune and KSWB (VC of 69!!!).

WWJ-TV's two attempts at newscasts have been pathetic afterthoughts. And their first attempt sank WKBD's news ops at the same time.

If a channel number doesn't matter, then why should having a transmitter across the river, with studios and offices in Detroit, matter? LMA the signal and send stuff to the tower by STL. After all, CKLW once had offices in Detroit.

And CBC 62 WCBW ... LOL.

You have admit that CBS 9 has a better ring to it. With the right amount of money anything can happen.

The only time that a station literally crossed borders was when Issy Asper bought KCND channel 12 in Pembina, North Dakota, and "moved" it to Winnipeg as CKND channel 9/cable 12. (He bought the station and intellectual property, the KCND license was deleted by the FCC, and a new license for CKND was established by the CRTC.)

And that was a private ownership transfer. In 1975.

There is no way in God's Green Earth that the CBC would ever do anything like that. It is a literal branch of the Canadian Government, and even as CBET has become a mere repeater of flagship CBLT/Toronto, it is still a valuable asset and a key station for their network. BOTH the FCC and CRTC would resoundingly reject it the second such a plan would be announced.

I don't know how many times this has to be repeated, but channel numbers no longer matter in the post-2009 environment. They are irrelevant. They are meaningless. There is no disparity. It is an equalized playing field now.

It's not so much of remembering smaller numbers as it is tuning in by habit, and brand loyalty. Like this...

If it works with VizRT, I'll be happy. :awesome:

But, we have enough problems with people confusing us with KSHB; I'm not sure a red-white-blue package, which Scripps also uses, will help that situation.

Easy. You're the station that manages to do pretty well in the ratings and wasn't stupid enough to give up some prime syndicated programming for some cheap syndicated programming.

Seriously though, are there still people who are still confused about the NBC/FOX affiliation switch?

YES! OH MY GOD. Both stations are STILL called by viewers complaining about some programming that's actually on the opposite station or complaining about the news service provided by the opposite stations and they have to refer them to the other ones. My theory on the matter is that since WDAF is on channel 4 and KSHB is on channel 41, people are seeing the 4 and forgetting the affiliation. The fonts also look similar. I also don't think it helps that KSHB's chief weather guy used to be over at WDAF.

And that was a simple affiliation swap in St. Louis.

As it is, most Detroiters that tune to CBS on WWJ-TV (those that don't watch WTOL, WLNS or WNEM) recognize it as "CBS 62" by now. If the VC channel number was ever reassigned, there would be even more confusion to the point where it would actually hurt them instead of help them.

That's also why the brand flipping - from "CBS 62" to "CBS Detroit" to "WWJ-TV" and back to "CBS 62" - was totally counterproductive.

Although WMYT should have been rebranded "My55". But I digress. Fox is actually putting effort into starting a news op for WJZY... serious effort. And Charlotte is a smaller market than Detroit, but equally as competitive.

Definitely agree it should have been My55. The My12 branding is a holdover from Capitol, just dropping the "TV."

Very excited about WJZY launching news. They already post stories from 2 digital journalists on their website, Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.

I don't know how many times this has to be repeated, but channel numbers no longer matter in the post-2009 environment. They are irrelevant. They are meaningless. There is no disparity. It is an equalized playing field now.

You guys keep saying this, but it's not completely true. High UHF channels still have more issues with multipath than channels lower on the band. My understanding is that this is why WTHR reverted to Channel 13 instead of taking Channel 46. Wrong decision, but that was their thinking based on what they saw out in the field.

Likewise, cable channels jockey for lower channel numbers or at least like to be clustered with similar channels.

THEREFORE, using cable as an example, my subchannels start at about 188 through about 192. When WBNS went to Antenna TV on 10.2, it was in the 400's with all the news channels in SD. Not convenient if you want to flip around or pop into the menu. Likewise with my HD local channels starting at 906 (4), 908 (6), 910 (28), 912 (10), 914/916 (34 and 53).

I submit the same thing is important in a market like Detroit where you potentially have a ton of OTA signals. When you have Detroit, Ann Arbor, Lansing, Windsor, Toledo, Sandusky and maybe even Cleveland coming in, you can't see the merit in being clustered with the other networks?

There's simply too much stuff going on. You have to make it brainless and easy for people. Low channel numbers, clustering and cable placement do just that.

If CBS was smart they'd give Sen. Carl Levin a fat donation so he can stuff a new virtual channel number in a bill.

And CBC 62 WCBW ... LOL.

Pardon my french but what the hell is this?

Are you seriously suggesting that CBC give up the only local media outlet in Windsor to sell to CBS? Can you imagine the firestorm that would result in such a suggestion being taken seriously? The CRTC would raise hell and then some if Americans try to buy out the only local TV station in Windsor.

And why would CBS want to buy a Windsor TV station anyways? It still has to compete with WJBK, WDIV, and WXYZ, that was why WWJ failed in the first place, not because it was on a UHF signal.

We really need to drop this obsession that people have that moving higher up on the dial is going to make a difference in today's world. It doesn't.

We really need to drop this obsession that people have that moving higher up on the dial is going to make a difference in today's world. It doesn't.

Of course as a government channel there is no profit motive, but when it was privately owned? I bet the owners would have loved to have CBS.

I think my post above proves that channel placement is still important. It has less to do with your number than where you are clustered. High number clusters you with TBN, Pax, Home Shopping and Univision. Low channel number gets you in with the other network affiliates.

And CBC 62 WCBW ... LOL.

OMG you just do not get it. Like I stated on the earlier post last night. CBS is not going to stoop that damn low and acquire some transmitter from the other side of the river, ON CANADIAN SOIL. And even if they did, it would be a very hard press, hell I have strong doubt that the Canadian Government would allow a U.S. station to be transmitted from a Canadian transmitter. And anyway, CBS isn't complaining about their current virtual channel position.

At least somebody agrees with me, as I've also preached this, even on this thread:

There is no way in God's Green Earth that the CBC would ever do anything like that. It is a literal branch of the Canadian Government, and even as CBET has become a mere repeater of flagship CBLT/Toronto, it is still a valuable asset and a key station for their network. BOTH the FCC and CRTC would resoundingly reject it the second such a plan would be announced.

Exactly. Had CBS been unable to purchase WGPR, the only option would have been to pipe in both WTOL and WLNS into Detroit. Both actually had decent OTA analog signals that reached much of the Detroit metro (hence, why CBS could have theoretically attempted an "ABC 33/40" solution, with WWJ-TV as the uncredited central station). WNEM's flipping to CBS was also a part of the solution, per the affiliation pact Meredith made with CBS.

And don't forget that WTOL long enjoyed widespread distribution on cable in Canada as a CBS affiliate of record.

That, along with CBS having revenue and rating juggernauts WWJ-AM and WXYT-FM, coupled with the stigma of being the misfit O&O of the group, is really why CBS is more than willing to let WWJ-TV be nothing more than what it is.

As it is, most Detroiters that tune to CBS on WWJ-TV (those that don't watch WTOL, WLNS or WNEM) recognize it as "CBS 62" by now. If the VC channel number was ever reassigned, there would be even more confusion to the point where it would actually hurt them instead of help them.

That's also why the brand flipping - from "CBS 62" to "CBS Detroit" to "WWJ-TV" and back to "CBS 62" - was totally counterproductive.

They were "Detroit 62 CBS" at that time, the first time the network used the 62 in their brand. The rest were right on the dime.

And it appears he agrees with me too. Tell it, Tell it, Tell it, Mrtraveler01!!!

Pardon my french but what the hell is this?

Are you seriously suggesting that CBC give up the only local media outlet in Windsor to sell to CBS? Can you imagine the firestorm that would result in such a suggestion being taken seriously? The CRTC would raise hell and then some if Americans try to buy out the only local TV station in Windsor.

And why would CBS want to buy a Windsor TV station anyways? It still has to compete with WJBK, WDIV, and WXYZ, that was why WWJ failed in the first place, not because it was on a UHF signal.

And that's the punchline folks fail to realize, even if you tell them a thousand times. Some folks just don't get it. And what about those other stations that are in those higher channel numbers....

Weigel has given some effort into building a news op for WDJT, and even as WDJT has an equally "embarrassing" virtual channel number as WWJ-TV, that hasn't stopped them. Likewise with Tribune and KSWB (VC of 69!!!).

WWJ-TV's two attempts at newscasts have been pathetic afterthoughts. And their first attempt sank WKBD's news ops at the same time.

Weigel has placed its efforts in its news operations for both WDJT and WBND (VC 57, I guess that's an embarrassment for y'all too). My reasoning is because of Weigel's success with Me-TV. If they didn't form the new network, WDJT probably would've never had the station in High Definition now, and it still would've been an embarrassment, and I'm not talking about the channel number.

Now I didn't know about this. You learn something everyday.

The only time that a station literally crossed borders was when Issy Asper bought KCND channel 12 in Pembina, North Dakota, and "moved" it to Winnipeg as CKND channel 9/cable 12. (He bought the station and intellectual property, the KCND license was deleted by the FCC, and a new license for CKND was established by the CRTC.)

And that was a private ownership transfer. In 1975.

Of course this wouldn't happen today. Now if the FCC never impose a freeze, San Diego would've kept the Channel 6 allotment in SD, and not Tijuana.

I think my post above proves that channel placement is still important. It has less to do with your number than where you are clustered. High number clusters you with TBN, Pax, Home Shopping and Univision. Low channel number gets you in with the other network affiliates.

So you say "channel placement is important". But do you see CBS lifting a finger in pursuing to change allotments? Hell No!! They frankly don't care what channel is it on. As long is their CBS programming is airing, it doesn't matter what channel it's on. And they're not going to get a Canadian transmitter, as many have said earlier, so they can be on a lower channel allotment. To me that's asinine. If they would've acquire the other station, besides WGPR, then we wouldn't have this discussion. And even if they move to a lower channel number, they'll stay a Status Quo because 2, 4 & 7 are far more competitive than 62.

So CBS is not going to change channels. CBS is not going to sell WWJ. CBS is not going to beg the CRTC to take a CBC channel in Windsor, CBS is not going to do any of that. They're stuck with 62!! Deal with it!

You're not familar with the CRTC are you?

He obviously doesn't!

Archived