TEGNA Broadcasting and Digital General Discussion

ABC 7 Denver

The streaming worked during the 4:30-6am portion of Daybreak. After that, it just went blank from there.

Yeah I don't think they should've launched the site then graphics on the same day. Doesn't seem like they've had time to iron out the kinks.

my range of emotions :( :angry: :ack: :bang: :mad:

RIP The Spirt of Texas. 1984 - 2014. One of the best local news image IDs to ever exist in the country.

Outside of MCTYW on WPVI, I don't know of too many image campaigns that lasted as long as TSoT. For those who've seen the new open, did they keep Mr. News-8-deep-voice or switch to some random generic guy to announce?

Outside of MCTYW on WPVI, I don't know of too many image campaigns that lasted as long as TSoT. For those who've seen the new open, did they keep Mr. News-8-deep-voice or switch to some random generic guy to announce?

Dick Ervasti is still intact on the opens.

Doc Morgan handles promos and is the main VO for Good Morning Texas.

pretty please tell me they were showing their "new company's" graphics - or am I too hopeful & it was really "new graphics"? :/

Caught the tail end of News 8 @ 5; it was "new graphics"

The Facebook explanation video is out, and it's the usual "It's too big for my screen" comments.

I now believe that at least a good chunk of Americans have their televisions set on "zoom".

This person certainly does.

But yeah, when TV stations switch to new website or on-air graphics designs, they don't point out that it's a mandate from their corporate parents. I don't think viewers would like being told that the station they're watching is owned by some corporate behemoth that owns 40+ other stations...and it's beside the point they're trying to make.

This person certainly does.

But yeah, when TV stations switch to new website or on-air graphics designs, they don't point out that it's a mandate from their corporate parents. I don't think viewers would like being told that the station they're watching is owned by some corporate behemoth that owns 40+ other stations...and it's beside the point they're trying to make.

You're wrong. Most Gannett graphics that were pushed last year reminded the viewers of their parent company because of the focus of the USA Today graphic style. So your logic is wrong for the case of WFAA.

What I was suggesting is WFAA say the new graphics comes after our new owner. It would remind viewers they are no longer a Belo property and any media deal should be a story. I've said that all along. Killing 2 birds with one stone right?

I think you are over estimating the common tv watcher, as most people don't care who owns the station they are watching. They just want to see the news if that's what they are looking for, or the tv program they like.

I think you are over estimating the common tv watcher, as most people don't care who owns the station they are watching. They just want to see the news if that's what they are looking for, or the tv program they like.

I always "Expect More" of my viewers to be quite honest. But most local news viewers in fact are the "Low Information Voter" stereotypes, so I guess it makes logical sense.

Hey why is the Belo stations the last major TV group to not have robotic camera systems? I thought TX was like right to work state and any automation technology I would think they would take advantage of. Some of their stations look so old fashioned the way cameras can't move on their own. Would Gannett step in and automate those finally?

Hey why is the Belo stations the last major TV group to not have robotic camera systems? I thought TX was like right to work state and any automation technology I would think they would take advantage of. Some of their stations look so old fashioned the way cameras can't move on their own. Would Gannett step in and automate those finally?

I think it's an added dimension to KENS. They can do more with their shots compared 12 and 29 which have robo cams. Newport was another group that never switched to robotic cameras and I think over at 4 they only have one guy running cameras. So when they were on one camera the guy would run and set the shots up for the other cameras and then run back. So they cut personnel running cameras but not actually going robotic. But with Sinclair now on the fold, they're a huge proponent of automation and robo cams so they should make the switch after the move.

Just because you can make cuts, why should you? Sinclair may think that way but Belo never did. In fact back in 2008, they were one of the last to lay people off. They didn't want to make cut backs but they were forced to, at least in Texas. They cared about the state of Texas. In fact, it feels weird not seeing "The Belo Debates" this year for gubernatorial race. I have no idea if Gannett will keep the concept going but I doubt it.

"The Spirit of Texas" died when Belo Company did. And it wasn't just a slogan but I'd say kind of how Belo ran themselves too. Decent company.

You're wrong. Most Gannett graphics that were pushed last year reminded the viewers of their parent company because of the focus of the USA Today graphic style. So your logic is wrong for the case of WFAA.

What I was suggesting is WFAA say the new graphics comes after our new owner. It would remind viewers they are no longer a Belo property and any media deal should be a story. I've said that all along. Killing 2 birds with one stone right?

I think the new stations are dropping the reference for USA Today now the companies are being split apart. Which makes me wonder what's going to happen with the local websites? They are all moving over to presto and what about stations like KPNX which are integrated closely with their newspapers?

I think stations should buy those combo pedestal units from Vinten Radamec that can be robotically operated and manually operated.
I think it's an added dimension to KENS. They can do more with their shots compared 12 and 29 which have robo cams. Newport was another group that never switched to robotic cameras and I think over at 4 they only have one guy running cameras. So when they were on one camera the guy would run and set the shots up for the other cameras and then run back. So they cut personnel running cameras but not actually going robotic. But with Sinclair now on the fold, they're a huge proponent of automation and robo cams so they should make the switch after the move.

Just because you can make cuts, why should you? Sinclair may think that way but Belo never did. In fact back in 2008, they were one of the last to lay people off. They didn't want to make cut backs but they were forced to, at least in Texas. They cared about the state of Texas. In fact, it feels weird not seeing "The Belo Debates" this year for gubernatorial race. I have no idea if Gannett will keep the concept going but I doubt it.

"The Spirit of Texas" died when Belo Company did. And it wasn't just a slogan but I'd say kind of how Belo ran themselves too. Decent company.

Oddly enough here in at WBFF in Baltimore they have no robotic cameras or even PTZ heads. Their cameras are are mounted on cheap Vinten tripods with wheels:

https://twitter.com/tomrodgersnews/status/491915676697636864

You may need refresh to see the above tweet.

But I never got fondness or attachment to news music maybe it's because I just want the broadcast to start.

Sounds like a different sig in the open. Definitely not what I'm accustomed to hearing. It also looks odd they're using the night time open at 5. It doesn't get that dark here in TX until after 8. Or out of daylight savings, 7.

Also embedding your video:

[yt]I1GIAbhC3NU[/yt]

One quick note, KHOU is last station with the Propulsion theme.

After all the Belo stations stop using it, KTVK, KSNB/KHAS, and WMBB will be left. Of those stations it's not likely that KTVK (ownership change/realignment) or WMBB (under Nexstar) stay with the package.

If anybody is interested I posted the open to News 8 at 5 with the new gfx.

I must say, I like that cut of TiH they used. If anything, WFAA should've probably been first out the gate in Texas...

I must say, I like that cut of TiH they used. If anything, WFAA should've probably been first out the gate in Texas...

Disagree. I think you save the best for last. WFAA should've been last. But KHOU will be. KHOU isn't special to me but WFAA is.

Disagree. I think you save the best for last. WFAA should've been last. But KHOU will be. KHOU isn't special to me but WFAA is.

Point taken. But if I had to rank the executions of the last three Texas stations, WFAA would be #1, followed by KVUE.

Sounds like a different sig in the open. Definitely not what I'm accustomed to hearing. It also looks odd they're using the night time open at 5. It doesn't get that dark here in TX until after 8. Or out of daylight savings, 7.

Also embedding your video:

[yt]I1GIAbhC3NU[/yt]

I said the same thing about that cut. I kinda like it....