DirecTV ready to dump The "Weather" Channel?

tyrannical bastard

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WYBE, channel 35 in Philly area. Not a network or anything - don't even know what kind of stuff they air. But right after it in my program guide is "35-2" which I'm assuming means 35.2

DirecTV carries some subchannels. To the best of my knowledge they all require an MPEG4 receiver and LOS to the sats @ 99/103. These usually fall into three categories.

1. It is a sub channel carrying major network.

2. It is a sub channel of a non-com station.

3. It is a remap and virtual in nature.

In any case tvjay is correct that bandwidth prevents them from carrying every subchannel. There is just no way to do it and even with the two new satellites due to go up in the next year or so I'm still not sure it would be possible. As already mentioned you can use an OTA antenna and receiver w/ a built in ATSC tuner. Or, get the AM-21 add on module.

WRT the topic at hand just so I don't feel like I'm derailing this whole thread. The one thing that was completely ridiculous was TWC seemingly abandoning all their entertainment programming when it came down to the wire. It's like they are trying to play everyone for idiots. If you want to go down the "network drift" road that's fine. I may not like it but, own it at least. You don't get to have it both ways. And, the whole providing "life saving" information is over the top. Especially when you consider of all MVPD's DirecTV has ALWAYS put up a channel containing a feed (or, feeds) from local channels where a major event is occurring. Katrina, Sandy, etc., etc. Every time there was a major event a 24/7 feed was put up, ALWAYS. As a DirecTV sub I have more access to "life saving" information than any other MVPD sub and none of it comes from TWC. These feeds are lightyears ahead of what TWC can do as these local stations know the area and have boots on the ground. Not once during any natural disaster did I turn to TWC to get the latest news it was always the local feed DirecTV would put up. I couldn't care less if TWC wants to air entertainment programming. But, when it doesn't draw in the viewers don't be shocked when MVPD's ask for a decrease.

DirecTV carries some subchannels. To the best of my knowledge they all require an MPEG4 receiver and LOS to the sats @ 99/103. These usually fall into three categories.

You're right. Either the subchannel has to be a major network affiliate, a CW station, or (in some cases) one of the larger Spanish-language nets. There are a few rare cases of Me-TV and Antenna TV subchannels being carried by the satcos, too.

In any case tvjay is correct that bandwidth prevents them from carrying every subchannel. There is just no way to do it and even with the two new satellites due to go up in the next year or so I'm still not sure it would be possible. As already mentioned you can use an OTA antenna and receiver w/ a built in ATSC tuner. Or, get the AM-21 add on module.

WRT the topic at hand just so I don't feel like I'm derailing this whole thread. The one thing that was completely ridiculous was TWC seemingly abandoning all their entertainment programming when it came down to the wire. It's like they are trying to play everyone for idiots. If you want to go down the "network drift" road that's fine. I may not like it but, own it at least. You don't get to have it both ways. And, the whole providing "life saving" information is over the top. Especially when you consider of all MVPD's DirecTV has ALWAYS put up a channel containing a feed (or, feeds) from local channels where a major event is occurring. Katrina, Sandy, etc., etc. Every time there was a major event a 24/7 feed was put up, ALWAYS. As a DirecTV sub I have more access to "life saving" information than any other MVPD sub and none of it comes from TWC. These feeds are lightyears ahead of what TWC can do as these local stations know the area and have boots on the ground. Not once during any natural disaster did I turn to TWC to get the latest news it was always the local feed DirecTV would put up. I couldn't care less if TWC wants to air entertainment programming. But, when it doesn't draw in the viewers don't be shocked when MVPD's ask for a decrease.

The first thing I do when a major news event breaks is go online and, if it's isolated to a specific area. see who the local stations are, and if they have iPad-compatible streams. If they do, I use AirPlay to stream the signal that looks like it has the best coverage to my Apple TV.

Very, very rarely do I turn to a national news source, unless it's a TV network (in other words, NBC). If it's major world news, I'll turn on BBC World News or (less often) CNN International.

With local weather events, I'll be watching my local stations for coverage. They have more boots on the ground and more trucks out and generally can provide much more accurate and relevant coverage than a national outfit based in Atlanta.

I think this is immensely more informative than the Weather Channel:

[yt]f7QF7Lrtowc[/yt]

Oh yeah, Jackson, MS' cable system (changed through the years) had NOAA weather radio on their public announcements channel with the forecast scrolling at the bottom of the screen. Still going strong today.

And this just gets better and better, folks. And by better and better, I mean sadder and sadder.

The Weather Company president David W. Kenny has written an open letter to the board of DirecTV. Why? To request that they waive the early termination fees for customers who are upset about losing TWC and want to bail.

Deadline has the PDF, which is also hilarious because they apparently can't get the correct EPS for their logo (they use a badly made one that's on brandsoftheworld,com). Full text is therefore quoted below:

Just before midnight on January 13, DIRECTV customers lost access to The Weather Channel.

Since then, over 4 million customers have come to keeptheweatherchannel.com to express their frustration. Over 400,000 have called and emailed DIRECTV. And over 90,000 have pledged to switch providers.

Many thousands have called your customer service centers asking to terminate their contracts since they are now getting less content for the same price. But DIRECTV is threatening them with termination fees of $200 to $400.

We have heard from viewers across the country, like Heather in Texas who wrote, “We just signed on with DIRECTV.…Had I known this was going to happen I would NOT have signed up. I read the fine print (too late) and found that they can do that. It’s wrong.”

We agree. Fairness ought to trump the fine print in your contracts.

The decision to switch providers is never taken lightly. Those who are trying to do so clearly believe The Weather Channel is a valued resource for their families. They are people like @jlawson2011, who tweeted “The Weather Channel saved my life when there was severe weather in my area. Tornado imminent + TWC warning to hide.”

These viewers—your customers—value the fact that since 1982 The Weather Channel has been relying upon the National Weather Service for watches and warnings, which we deliver on a hyper-local basis through our proprietary localization technology.

Your customers were never given a vote about DIRECTV’s decision to drop The Weather Channel. The least you can do is allow them to vote now with their feet by waiving termination fees for those seeking to switch to a provider that still carries The Weather Channel, as every other pay-TV company in the nation does.

Our preference would be for DIRECTV to come back to the negotiating table and restore The Weather Channel to your line up. But as you seem intent on proving a point at the expense of your customers’ interests, then at least allow them to make their own choices without unaffordable penalties.

As our team of more than 220 expert meteorologists tracks winter storms, wildfires in Southern California, and many other potential weather emergencies, a prompt reply—not to me, but to your customers—would surely be appreciated.

DirecTV's response?

The vast majority of our customers are telling us a different story and one the Weather Channel may not want to hear.... The two-way dialogue we enjoy with our customers, which is far more reliable than surveys and focus groups, shows they have resoundingly voted for the 24/7 news WeatherNation offers, which more completely meets their demand for dedicated weather information.

droptheweatherchannel.com's response?

GardnerFacepalmBig.jpg

I can't stand it when companies pull the "You're getting LESS for the same price!" crap whenever their channels get yanked. With that logic, any time a provider ADDS a channel, they should raise our bill.

Now if they dropped twenty channels at once, there'd be something to be angry about. But they dropped one channel and added another. You're paying for the same amount of channels as before.

Plus, as I've said roughly one billion times, The Weather Channel's forecasts are readily available on smartphones, tablets, and teh Interwebz. You might be losing the channel, but you're not really losing the service.

Also, if we're talking about lost value, The Weather Channel has actually quantified their worth at 13 cents. Most people don't really care if it's up or down 13 cents.

HulkieD, and everyone here, DirecTV has full blown page on Weather Channel Facts tagged alongside the video from the CEO:

http://directvpromise.com/?CMP=BAC-PM-7995690-877846-106114033-278958100-57036996

See, this is why DirecTV is winning the debate. They're providing calm, reasoned answers to the Weather Channel's YOU WILL DIE IF YOU HAVE DIRECTV strategy. They're being classy and honest (well, more honest) about it. And they're staying reasonably quiet while The Weather Channel keeps shooting itself in the foot.

Though TWC being worth a quarter of what it's asking for? Yeah, this ain't ending anytime soon.

Now we're just getting silly.

Dan Patrick was going to have Jim Cantore on to talk about the weather during the Super Bowl. Patrick has Cantore on frequently, because of the connection to NBC.

Today, he had Paul Douglas from WeatherNation on to talk about the weather (not a bad substitute).

Why? Well, DirecTV actually owns the show. And according to a spokesperson for DirecTV:

"We like Jim and thought, under the circumstances, that it may be a bit awkward for him to appear on a DirectTV-owned show so we let him off the hook," said a DirecTV spokesman, who added that Douglas can "help us navigate through our weather needs for Super Bowl."

Yeah. This is getting funnier and funnier.

I have a feeling that this whole deal with end with NBCUniversal pulling all their channels off DirecTV in some sort of strange bargaining move, thinking that will a) force them back to negotiating or b) put a quick end to the standoff.

I have a feeling that this whole deal with end with NBCUniversal pulling all their channels off DirecTV in some sort of strange bargaining move, thinking that will a) force them back to negotiating or :cool: put a quick end to the standoff.

Not happening.

I've been trying to stress for some time that NBC doesn't own the Weather Channel. It owns a piece of The Weather Channel's parent company, The Weather Company (which sounds slightly sinister). Bain Capital and Blackstone Group own the rest. It's also not a core asset for Comcast/NBCUniversal, but a strategic investment. Just like NBC owns a piece of A&E Networks (with Hearst and ABC) - but A&E operates as its own thing.

If NBC had 100% control of The Weather Company? This dispute wouldn't be happening. They'd be threatening to not just pull The Weather Channel, but the NBC television network, the NBC O&Os, USA, Syfy, Bravo. DirecTV might be right about people not caring about The Weather Channel, but they'll get an earful from the people in New York who can't see their NBC station or the wrestling fans who watch Raw and Smackdown on USA and Syfy.

Meanwhile, The Weather Channel has named its next winter storm, Maximus, but this one will bring much needed precipitation to California and other west coast cities. Still, yeah, Maximus is... eh. I'm going with my alternate name of Winter Storm Metallica.

However, it has proved its worth beyond silly winter storm names by their coverage of Leon and the civic emergency in Atlanta. They can do a great job of covering the weather and big weather-related stories. They just have to be doing more of that.

Not happening.

I've been trying to stress for some time that NBC doesn't own the Weather Channel. It owns a piece of The Weather Channel's parent company, The Weather Company (which sounds slightly sinister). Bain Capital and Blackstone Group own the rest. It's also not a core asset for Comcast/NBCUniversal, but a strategic investment. Just like NBC owns a piece of A&E Networks (with Hearst and ABC) - but A&E operates as its own thing.

If NBC had 100% control of The Weather Company? This dispute wouldn't be happening. They'd be threatening to not just pull The Weather Channel, but the NBC television network, the NBC O&Os, USA, Syfy, Bravo. DirecTV might be right about people not caring about The Weather Channel, but they'll get an earful from the people in New York who can't see their NBC station or the wrestling fans who watch Raw and Smackdown on USA and Syfy.

Meanwhile, The Weather Channel has named its next winter storm, Maximus, but this one will bring much needed precipitation to California and other west coast cities. Still, yeah, Maximus is... eh. I'm going with my alternate name of Winter Storm Metallica.

However, it has proved its worth beyond silly winter storm names by their coverage of Leon and the civic emergency in Atlanta. They can do a great job of covering the weather and big weather-related stories. They just have to be doing more of that.

Hulkie, just an FYI NBCU exited the A&E Networks Joint Venture a year or two ago.

Either way your point still stands. A better example might be Universal Sports. NBCU/Comcast has a minor investment Universal Sports. They share some branding/ cross promotion. They are also both are standalone single channel entities. But, like you have stated they are both "divorced" for all intents and purposes from the NBCU/Comcast mothership.

I actually thought they bought into the A&E Networks, not that they exited. Good catch. Either way, A&E is just as divorced from the Disney corporate structure as TWC is from NBCUniversal.

Some outlets even refer to NBC's stake in Weather Company as a MINORITY stake.

---

Anyway, Weather Channel's still in Red Mode. Must be the longest I've seen them in it since the revamp. I think they've been doing a really good job, to be honest.

Archived