WVTM Alabama's 13 new graphic package

Breaking News

I'll say this - I like the colors, I like the lower thirds, and parts of it seem to be remniscent of Novocom and Look A, which is a plus in my book.

But... oh my god.

You know what? I'm just going to put some screenshots.

MGCellPhone-231.jpg

MGCellPhone-201.jpg

MGCellPhone-191.jpg

MGCellPhone-91.jpg

MGCellPhone-131.jpg

MGCellPhone-141.jpg

MGCellPhone-21.jpg

Look, I know smartphones and tablets and all that, but god damn, does every single graphic have to involve something being on a cell phone screen?!

...excuse me a minute.

GardnerFacepalmBig.jpg

Overall, I like it. It's worlds better than the WFLA package, and marginally better than the circle graphics most of their stations are using. Also, a definite improvement over the previous package that is still being used by WKRG and WJBF....

I think they did go a step too far by using tablets any which way they can...

The next step is seeing what becomes of the former Young stations....will any of their looks be ported, or will they design something new?

I wonder what they have up their sleeve for WKRG...and will they EVER refresh their look?!?!?!?!

Their set is over 10 years old with original panels, duratranses (except for the main one which looks awful) and they are STILL using the 2008 graphics package along with the JDK garbage music....

Even a cosmetic refresh of their existing set would work wonders.

Well, it seems like MG has finish ruining the appearance of WVTM

Yep. Such a shame too; all of the other MG stations either maintain the 2006 GO look (which is outdated,) the circle look (which is better than this, but not perfect,) or the 3D look (namely WNCN and WFLA).

It looks like WJAR this week has launched a new logo and have switched to the WNCN graphics package.Definitely an improvement for them.

That logo reminds me of what station? Hmm. Can't put my finger on it - oh yes, WCAU.

Hey didn't WJAR get their last logo from WCAU???

;-)

J

That logo reminds me of what station? Hmm. Can't put my finger on it - oh yes, WCAU.

Hey didn't WJAR get their last logo from WCAU???

;-)

J

Yeah it seems WJAR remains somewhat recognizable from its O&O days

That looks really strongly jcbD. Like that could almost actually be his work. The big clue is that the slogan is "Accuracy matters." and not "Accuracy Matters".

Agree. A couple of additional things that would lead me to think that it's a jcbD creation is the thickness of the fonts and typeface used on the scoreboard examples starting 1min into the video. Secondly, the gradient backgrounds used between 2:20-2:34, especially the animation around 2:28-2:34 with a camera view that shows off a virtual floor for the laptop and the "corner of the wall" angled gradients.

Making an edit to mention that approx :40 secs. in when the "Interceptor Weather and Traffic on the Ones" animation reveals. That text and the vertical scrolling number text screams jcbD to me.

Here is his demo from May 2001 - around :14 seconds in you'll see the same type of weather animation concept.

Agree. A couple of additional things that would lead me to think that it's a jcbD creation is the thickness of the fonts and typeface used on the scoreboard examples starting 1min into the video. Secondly, the gradient backgrounds used between 2:20-2:34, especially the animation around 2:28-2:34 with a camera view that shows off a virtual floor for the laptop and the "corner of the wall" angled gradients.

Making an edit to mention that approx :40 secs. in when the "Interceptor Weather and Traffic on the Ones" animation reveals. That text and the vertical scrolling number text screams jcbD to me.

Here is his demo from May 2001 - around :14 seconds in you'll see the same type of weather animation concept.

The way the highway shields in the background animate also tell me yes.

Personally I like the return to "Alabama's 13" for the branding (which the station used with TVbD graphics in the very late 80s/early 90s). The very type treatment of "Alabama's" also screams John Christopher Burns.

It's actually a very good resolution to what I'm sure was a concept that could have been executed much worse.

Archived