ABC World News Tonight

BehindNYNews

• 2 weeks later...

Rob Marciano did weather tonight from Los Angeles in front of a green screen, and for the life of me, I cannot remember the last time I saw a network weatherperson use a chroma key.

Yeah, that was odd. I know Ginger has been sick. I can't help but wonder if Rob was on vacation or on assignment in LA, and they had him run over to KABC to fill in because Ginger was too sick to go on air.

On another note, I too wonder "what would have been" had Elizabeth been at the helm of the show. I think she is an excellent anchor, whether it's GMA or WNT or 20/20, but I imagine anchoring WNT full time might have put even greater stress on her health situation at the time. Who knows.

Amy was in for David last night, and tonight Elizabeth Vargas (yep, you read that right) is sitting in.

I was shocked when I saw WNT's open tonight. So, everything's cool now with Vargas and ABC NEWS?

Don't get me wrong, I like her, always does great on air and if you saw her on air, you would never know that she had to leave ABC twice.

Yeah, that was odd. I know Ginger has been sick. I can't help but wonder if Rob was on vacation or on assignment in LA, and they had him run over to KABC to fill in because Ginger was too sick to go on air.

On another note, I too wonder "what would have been" had Elizabeth been at the helm of the show. I think she is an excellent anchor, whether it's GMA or WNT or 20/20, but I imagine anchoring WNT full time might have put even greater stress on her health situation at the time. Who knows.

Did Ginger look sick on GMA today? I didn't notice. Could Rob be in LA for the Rose Parade?

Don't get me wrong, I like her, always does great on air and if you saw her on air, you would never know that she had to leave ABC twice.

That's not quite a fair assessment. At no point did she leave the network, she just took two leaves of absence.

Did Ginger look sick on GMA today? I didn't notice. Could Rob be in LA for the Rose Parade?

Ginger said on Instagram that she was sick all last week, but feeling better now. As for Rob being a part of the parade, I wouldn't count it out. I haven't heard who will replace Josh Elliott on the telecast, though I assume ESPN will still produce.

That's not quite a fair assessment. At no point did she leave the network, she just took two leaves of absence.

I Know that. Maybe I used the wrong words but it was all I could think of at the time. I just meant that she left air??? twice for rehab.

Ginger said on Instagram that she was sick all last week, but feeling better now. As for Rob being a part of the parade, I wouldn't count it out. I haven't heard who will replace Josh Elliott on the telecast, though I assume ESPN will still produce.

SportsCenter's John Anderson, who co-hosts alongside Hannah Storm during ESPN's coverage of the NYC Marathon, will co-host the Rose Parade on ABC.

I didn't realize she'd even returned from her second leave of absence!

What an unexpected sight to see her anchoring WNT. But it was welcoming, too!

I've noticed for a while now that the show has, with the exception of maybe one story per night, eliminated live stand-ups at the beginning of stories and instead rolls right to the package, ending with a brief reporter standup and generally no follow-up from whoever is anchoring. I hadn't put two-and-two together before, but now I realize that this must be in line with the show's reported efforts to be faster-paced and fit in more stories. I'm sure cutting out opening stand-ups and banter/follow-up questions saves a good bit of time.

I don't particularly mind the change, but it does make the show feel like less of a live broadcast.

Watched WNT last night for the first time in...a decade, perhaps...

If it's possible, I actually felt like I knew less about what is going on in "the world" than when I started watching.

Cecilia Vargas, I believe, was anchoring. Can't stand her delivery. Every story began with "next"

"Next"

"Next"

Dint know if she was inserting that on her own or if the writer did, but it was "next" to annoying. No wait, it was VERY annoying. At least she didn't use "switching gears" or "changing course" as segues.

The other thing I found odd, it seemed some of the segments were pre-taped. After a story on winter weather, there was a segment with Rob Marciano at the desk. The switch back to her tight shot was to clean to quick to be live.

Her name is Cecilia Vega. The story packages are taped, but the shots in the studio are live. I don't know what you mean by the camera shots being too clean or quick to be live. There's more than one camera in the studio, and the technical director in the control room can switch between them.

Watched WNT last night for the first time in...a decade, perhaps...

If it's possible, I actually felt like I knew less about what is going on in "the world" than when I started watching.

That's exactly how I feel about ABC. There's really no point in bothering with ABC News unless if you're one of those people who watch the news for all the wrong reasons.

Her name is Cecilia Vega. The story packages are taped, but the shots in the studio are live. I don't know what you mean by the camera shots being too clean or quick to be live. There's more than one camera in the studio, and the technical director in the control room can switch between them.

I've wondered if it's all live too... The transitions from interview at the desk to next story are atrocious on that show.

I know how tv works. I sit next to my technical director 5 days a week when my show goes on the air. Never have I seen as quick a camera change as was displayed last night on WNT.

When cutting back from the interview with Rob Marciano, she was in the middle of turning back to camera 1 when they cut to the tight shot and she was lined up, no continued movement. It was jarring and obviously pre-taped.

The exchanges between anchor and reporter in studio are not always live on WNT. Sometimes, like WXmanTim said, they are pre-taped and it is noticeable when they try to return to the live shot of the anchor.

Watching from Sydney, I remember when ABC News Sunday was an actual newscast - you know, with actual news (hey, Carole Simpson!). It just felt like I was watching garbage from the internet. I don't think they even understand the market for news on the weekend. And that Tom Llamas guy is pretty annoying. ABC seems to be all fluff and zero substance these days.

Watching from Sydney, I remember when ABC News Sunday was an actual newscast - you know, with actual news (hey, Carole Simpson!). It just felt like I was watching garbage from the internet. I don't think they even understand the market for news on the weekend. And that Tom Llamas guy is pretty annoying. ABC seems to be all fluff and zero substance these days.

I wonder how much of a difference there is in style and content between ABC News and ABC News.