Scripps to launch national/local 4PM live program this fall

Glimmer

4pm Eastern Time newscasts are fluffy, yes, because they are trying to catch a (usually) female audience. 4pm Central newscasts are much more like the 5pm newscasts are in Eastern Time, fluffy and a few segments for housewives (consumer, health, etc) but not this fluffy. That may be an effect of only having a half hour before the evening news if you go on at 5 CT and not 4 or 430 CT, so they try to squeeze more hard news into the 4pm than they would in Eastern time. Central time is running an Eastern Network schedule anyways. This is why the 4pm Newscast on say WLS is more hard news than it might be at 4 on WABC, WLS is really running the central time equivalent of a 5pm show. I'm under the impression KSHB was probably doing something similar.

I agree that 'The Now' takes the fluff up a notch or two. But, the slight differences in time zones aside you kind of illustrated my point. The timeslot lends itself to "fluff"...'The Now' just amps it up. And, to be fair Scripps isn't even referring to 'The Now' as a newscast but, a "News & Information Show." I guess all I'm saying is even though 'The Now' is different and unique in its own way as a "News & Information Show" it still bares a resemblance to it's cousin the "4pm Newscast" found on most stations. So, I guess I don't see what the big deal is...it's not a massive stretch from what you would find in that timeslot if it was a newscast (in most cases.)

That said it's not all doom and gloom on the ratings front. Although, "The Now" is off to a rough start in KC it doesn't appear to be as bad as originally posted in the thread. "The Now-KC" is averaging 2.2/6 in households, placing it 3rd in the timeslot. However, it is shedding 12% from it's Lead-In (Jeopardy) and down 21% in the 4pm timeslot from a year ago. So, that is a bit concerning. OTOH, "The Now-Denver" is fairing pretty well. It is averaging 1.6/5 in households, placing it 3rd in the timeslot. And, it is flat from it's Lead-In (Dr. Oz) and up 77% in the 4pm timeslot from a year ago. Also, the W25-54 demo is up 20% in the 4pm timeslot from a year ago in Denver.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree that 'The Now' takes the fluff up a notch or two. But, the slight differences in time zones aside you kind of illustrated my point. The timeslot lends itself to "fluff"...'The Now' just amps it up. And, to be fair Scripps isn't even referring to 'The Now' as a newscast but, a "News & Information Show." I guess all I'm saying is even though 'The Now' is different and unique in its own way as a "News & Information Show" it still bares a resemblance to it's cousin the "4pm Newscast" found on most stations. So, I guess I don't see what the big deal is...it's not a massive stretch from what you would find in that timeslot if it was a newscast (in most cases.)

That said it's not all doom and gloom on the ratings front. Although, "The Now" is off to a rough start in KC it doesn't appear to be as bad as originally posted in the thread. "The Now-KC" is averaging 2.2/6 in households, placing it 3rd in the timeslot. However, it is shedding 12% from it's Lead-In (Jeopardy) and down 21% in the 4pm timeslot from a year ago. So, that is a bit concerning. OTOH, "The Now-Denver" is fairing pretty well. It is averaging 1.6/5 in households, placing it 3rd in the timeslot. And, it is flat from it's Lead-In (Dr. Oz) and up 77% in the 4pm timeslot from a year ago. Also, the W25-54 demo is up 20% in the 4pm timeslot from a year ago in Denver.

At least there's a silver lining or two on the ratings front, I don't feel too bad now but I can only imagine the WDIV newscast, Judge Judy and Queen Latifah killing The Now here In Detroit. Oz is no better at 4PM currently at 2.7. In a perfect world Meredith Viera would be on at 4 and be a strong lead in to the news. But she'll end up at 3 to be The Now's lead in.

I still wouldn't consider -12% and -21% "good."

My apologies. I based my earlier opinion on watching WOIO's 4pm newscast. They seem to run a less fluffy newscast (it's called 19 ACTION NEWS! It better not have any fluff!!). However, having a straight 4pm newscast has put a toll on its ratings at 5 and 6. Granted, 19 does have a few consumer stories at 4 and an occasional "Top 5 Bars/Eateries" but it mostly errs on hard news.

The reason why WOIO's 4pm newscast isn't that fluff-driven is mainly because it launched ten years ago... when Oprah and Judge Judy were still on in the 4pm hour. So it was and always has been a counterprogramming move because, well, what else were they going to air?

As for 5pm and 6pm, WJW has long led the pack during that timeframe. I wouldn't consider WOIO's 4pm news to be a drag on their 5pm and 6pm. In fact, they took a cue from WSVN and have two separate anchor pairings that alternate every half hour during those two hours.

A couple things... How unique is it among Scripps stations that KSHB had a 4, 5 and 6pm newscast? We essentially have the same thing here in Detroit but Oz will get replaced because of the time zone and not a newscast. The Now should have been at 3 to preserve KSHB's 4pm newscast, and then they would have just been grouped with the Eastern stations rather than the Central ones, its not that hard to do. I have to believe that KSHB is no longer retaining viewers and some maybe even got disgusted and switched stations. I watched some of the show, it's a piece of crap.

The lead in to the 5pm news is what I am worried about here in Detroit, Oz had a 2.7 in May and the 5pm newscast is finally within half a point of WDIV so if this tanks it may put WXYZ in 3rd at 5 behind WJBK if there are no viewers to retain.

Second thought is something I read one of the executives (may have been Brian Lawler) saying about the Scripps in-house programming: "We understand that for awhile we will take a ratings hit, but we believe that viewers will find our shows and we will begin to build an audience". The unanswered question there is: What do you do when the audience never comes.

KGTV here in San Diego has a 5pm, 6pm, and 7pm. In 2006, KGTV had a 4pm broadcast called "10-4 San Diego" (created to fill Oprah's time slot when KGTV lost Oprah to KFMB) that seems similar to "The Now" format. It failed miserably and did not last long and the show's format changed to a traditional news format before being canceled in favor of syndicated programming. Here's what "The Now" would be going up against if started here:

XETV - Rules of Engagement

KFMB - Judge Judy

KNSD - News at 4

KUSI - People's Court

KSWB - Dr. Oz

Given the competition at 4 and the previous failure of a similar show in the same slot and the poor ratings of this show in other markets, I hope we don't get this show.

KGTV here in San Diego has a 5pm, 6pm, and 7pm. In 2006, KGTV had a 4pm broadcast called "10-4 San Diego" (created to fill Oprah's time slot when KGTV lost Oprah to KFMB) that seems similar to "The Now" format. It failed miserably and did not last long and the show's format changed to a traditional news format before being canceled in favor of syndicated programming. Here's what "The Now" would be going up against if started here:

XETV - Rules of Engagement

KFMB - Judge Judy

KNSD - News at 4

KUSI - People's Court

KSWB - Dr. Oz

Given the competition at 4 and the previous failure of a similar show in the same slot and the poor ratings of this show in other markets, I hope we don't get this show.

Just a reminder the 8 stations are:

KMGH Denver

KSHB Kansas City, MO

WXYZ Detroit

KNXV Phoenix

WFTS Tampa

WEWS Cleveland

WCPO Cinncinati

WPTV West Palm Beach

It looks like you have been spared for now, I re-posted that info because it got buried several pages ago.

Also the guy I referred to saying they knew they would take a hit on the original programs and were confident they would gain ground eventually was:

Brian Lawlor, SVP of Scripps Television.

Just a reminder the 8 stations are:

KMGH Denver

KSHB Kansas City, MO

WXYZ Detroit

KNXV Phoenix

WFTS Tampa

WEWS Cleveland

WCPO Cinncinati

WPTV West Palm Beach

It looks like you have been spared for now, I re-posted that info because it got buried several pages ago.

Also the guy I referred to saying they knew they would take a hit on the original programs and were confident they would gain ground eventually was:

Brian Lawlor, SVP of Scripps Television.

Thanks for posting the info. That is a relief. As far as latter statement, anyone can say that they anticipated the initial hit in ratings. The real question is how much of a hit did they anticipate and at what point do you decide to cut your losses. Some of the losses posted seem difficult to recover from.

[...] Some of the losses posted seem difficult to recover from.

Well apparently KSHB was #1 at 4pm on Friday and subsequently at 5 and 6pm, but I wouldn't call that an indicator of anything. Kansas City stations rate very weirdly (in my eyes).

I think the only stations not airing The Now are located in the PST zone. I haven't heard anything in regards to KGTV's plan to fill Katie's hour but I would not be surprised if they did do a 4pm newscast and drop the 7pm. That or they could still air the 7pm newscast along with a 4pm. They do have Itica Milanes available to anchor and maybe Dan Haggerty,

I think the only stations not airing The Now are located in the PST zone. I haven't heard anything in regards to KGTV's plan to fill Katie's hour but I would not be surprised if they did do a 4pm newscast and drop the 7pm. That or they could still air the 7pm newscast along with a 4pm. They do have Itica Milanes available to anchor and maybe Dan Haggerty,

I think that's a great idea actually. Then they can stop having Kim Co anchor at five and Itica at 530. They could have Dan and Itica 4 and 6 and Steve and Kim 5, 7, and 11.

"The Now" will air at 4pm on WMYD in Detroit, not WXYZ, per http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/77892/scripps-puts-wmyd-to-work-airing-news/page/1.

So the lead-in to Detroit's 5pm newscast may remain the same.

Nope. "The Now" will air on WXYZ...as will "The List." Quote from the linked article: "According to Fernandez, Scripps' plan for Detroit also calls for WXYZ to air two Scripps-produced shows, The Now and The List, starting in September. The Now is a newsy afternoon talk show with breaking news, viral videos, local hosts and a national host in Denver. The List, which will air at 7:30 p.m., is more of a news magazine. Both will make room for locally produced segments" Not, sure if you misread that since most of the article was focused on WMYD, or not. But, "The Now" and "The List" are most definitely going to air on WXYZ. WMYD is adding a morning newscast from 7am-9am, though.

It makes me wonder (and this may be better fitted for the general Scripps/WMYD/WKBW thread) that if Sinclair is in need of cash and wants to divest WNYO or WBZZ's owner, Phil Arno, leaves the business and decides to cash out, if Scripps makes a play for either station. You have to think that they're at least considering the possibility of it and basing their decision on what happens with WMYD should the opportunity present itself.

Nope. "The Now" will air on WXYZ...as will "The List." Quote from the linked article: "According to Fernandez, Scripps' plan for Detroit also calls for WXYZ to air two Scripps-produced shows, The Now and The List, starting in September. The Now is a newsy afternoon talk show with breaking news, viral videos, local hosts and a national host in Denver. The List, which will air at 7:30 p.m., is more of a news magazine. Both will make room for locally produced segments" Not, sure if you misread that since most of the article was focused on WMYD, or not. But, "The Now" and "The List" are most definitely going to air on WXYZ. WMYD is adding a morning newscast from 7am-9am, though.

Sorry, misread.

• 3 weeks later...

Bumping just to mention that the NOW has practically destroyed KSHB. Yesterday the show rated a 1.8 while KCTV had a 5.9. Before the NOW KCTV would max at like a 4 amd5 KSHB would max at like 3. Any lower and Jerry Springer will out rate them. It's almost dead last in the market.

Surely Scripps is looking at KSHB's numbers and wondering what is that they can do to fix the show? If it's decimating KSHB, it'll do the same to their other stations and the show will fail miserably. If they're not looking, then they're fools for waiting it out and using their philosophy of "We know we'll take a hit in viewership but am confident that our shows will find an audience." Things haven't gotten better in Kansas City yo, they've gotten worse.

Bumping just to mention that the NOW has practically destroyed KSHB. Yesterday the show rated a 1.8 while KCTV had a 5.9. Before the NOW KCTV would max at like a 4 amd5 KSHB would max at like 3. Any lower and Jerry Springer will out rate them. It's almost dead last in the market.

Surely Scripps is looking at KSHB's numbers and wondering what is that they can do to fix the show? If it's decimating KSHB, it'll do the same to their other stations and the show will fail miserably. If they're not looking, then they're fools for waiting it out and using their philosophy of "We know we'll take a hit in viewership but am confident that our shows will find an audience." Things haven't gotten better in Kansas City yo, they've gotten worse.

Great. There goes WXYZ's ratings gains.... maybe. I'm hoping we are getting enough tune-ins for the 5pm that nobody will really care. Losing a point from Oz's May 2.7 would be bad leading into a 5pm newscast that drew a 6.5 in May combined with the 6pm's 7.9 rating. Scripps seems content to hand viewers away to everybody else. Notice other groups aren't trying this kind of experiment with the station programming in terms of syndication being dropped and replaced with company shows at every turn.

Great. There goes WXYZ's ratings gains.... maybe. I'm hoping we are getting enough tune-ins for the 5pm that nobody will really care. Losing a point from Oz's May 2.7 would be bad leading into a 5pm newscast that drew a 6.5 in May combined with the 6pm's 7.9 rating. Scripps seems content to hand viewers away to everybody else. Notice other groups aren't trying this kind of experiment with the station programming in terms of syndication being dropped and replaced with company shows at every turn.

Thank god WMAR isn't carrying this show yet. This would be the second to last nail in their coffin.

I wonder if when the other stations start airing the Now and their ratings begin to plummet as well that Scripps will wake up and can the whole thing. Having 8 stations decline significantly throughout the day because of ONE newscast isn't the show trying to get its footing, its the show being bad and turning people away.

That's the only way Scripps will can it, if all of their stations see significant decline like KSHB has.

Scripps will not cancel the show just because it is not doing well in the early test markets. Plus, it is summer when there is traditionally lower tv viewership. The real test for the show will be this November and February sweeps of next year. Even then, if it's still doing bad after sweeps, there is no guarantee that it will get cancelled as Scripps tends to be patient (cheap) with low rated programs they have a vested interest in (i.e. let's Ask America, Right this Minute, etc.).

Scripps will not cancel the show just because it is not doing well in the early test markets. Plus, it is summer when there is traditionally lower tv viewership. The real test for the show will be this November and February sweeps of next year. Even then, if it's still doing bad after sweeps, there is no guarantee that it will get cancelled as Scripps tends to be patient (cheap) with low rated programs they have a vested interest in (i.e. let's Ask America, Right this Minute, etc.).

Obviously not, but as of right now it's just about to destroy KSHB. First to worst in little under two months? That doesn't bode well. I don't believe the season has anything to do with the fact that the NOW is just crap. But you're right, Scripps probably won't cancel it not just because they're patient (cheap), but because they're too proud and arrogant to admit that it failed (should that be the ultimate conclusion). They're so proud and happy with the NOW that acknowledging it bombed would just be humiliating.

Here in Phoenix, where "The List" is produced, that show hasn't gained any traction at all. And, they've tried airing it as a lead-in to ABC shows. This fall, they're going to drop their 4pm newscast in favor of "The List" and "The Now." KTVK's expanding their early-fringe news to start at 4, so that's going to be a boon for them.

Here in Phoenix, where "The List" is produced, that show hasn't gained any traction at all. And, they've tried airing it as a lead-in to ABC shows. This fall, they're going to drop their 4pm newscast in favor of "The List" and "The Now." KTVK's expanding their early-fringe news to start at 4, so that's going to be a boon for them.

And Scripps somehow gave RightThisMinute, a show in which it is a partner, to Fox in Phoenix, the city where it is produced. Explain that one.

Yes it will be for KTVK. Either they are airing The Now or The List in place of their news, they can't do both since The Now is an hour....

There must be some logical reasoning for FOX to have Right This Minute in Phoenix. Maybe the ratings on KNXV were that bad? What replaces it on KNXV anyways?

I wish WJBK would pick up RTM, I'd like my hour long noon news back.

Archived