MAJOR changes at WPIX

NYNewsCoverage

Why don't they add and 11:30pm - 12:00am newscast? Thats when all the other channels go to late night programing and no one else is on air. Nightline on ABC had great numbers in its old timeslot. Personally when i get home from work late, i want to get a recap of the day's news.

They could a more relaxed format and do more Nightline type stories like human interest pieces.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So y'all ain't going to believe what WPIX is going to air in replacement to news at 4am.

Based on the guide from LocateTV, they will be airing The Cosby Show and The Jeffersons in its place one week from tomorrow. I wished they put The Jeffersons on Antenna TV. It goes well with all those other Norman Lear comedies shows on the diginet.

But my main point in all of this is, WPIX really did the dummy on eliminating its entire 4am hour of news, when many early commuters who really need it, I don't care how bad their ratings are. What if WNYW happens to start extending its show to 4am in the future? How about one of the big-3 stations would later do that too? And you see all the other Trib stations filling that 4am hour, having your largest television station without it, it's a real shame.

Mind you, The Cosby Show is a great show, I still love watching it.

The thing is, I don't think the early newscast on WPIX ever got any significant ratings. It's only thirty minutes, but I think New Yorkers can wait to tune into WCBS, WNBC, WNYW and WABC. Plus, the three major networks have the local forecast and news scrolling at the bottom, during the national news broadcast.

Mind you, The Cosby Show is a great show, I still love watching it.

The thing is, I don't think the early newscast on WPIX ever got any significant ratings. It's only thirty minutes, but I think New Yorkers can wait to tune into WCBS, WNBC, WNYW and WABC. Plus, the three major networks have the local forecast and news scrolling at the bottom, during the national news broadcast.

The Cosby Show is the shit. It's way better than all that filth they show today.

All it comes down to in any case is habit. Like you've pointed out, many of them would tune to a channel they're accustomed to at that hour, whether its 2, 4, 5 or 7. They'll watch the national news on at 4 and wait for the local stuff at 4:30. What I was saying above was should one of the 4 stations decide (and I don't really advocating this) to extend its local news at 4am and would end up being successful, then it may not bode well for WPIX if they want to decide to bring back the 4am in the future.

Now I'm happy that the NYC stations haven't jumped on the trend like the other big markets in having a early 5am newscasts on the weekends, when basically hardly anyone is even up at that time on Saturdays & Sundays.

Damn, WPIX. Just when there's some light at the end of the tunnel, you tend to change the formula all over again. Your viewers are going to get fed up with all these robust changes. And Marysol just came back not too long ago, and you gave her the boot? That's crazy as hell.

So y'all ain't going to believe what WPIX is going to air in replacement to news at 4am.

Based on the guide from LocateTV, they will be airing The Cosby Show and The Jeffersons in its place one week from tomorrow. I wished they put The Jeffersons on Antenna TV. It goes well with all those other Norman Lear comedies shows on the diginet.

Regardless, great to see The Jeffersons back in the PIX Fold, which had been an institution in the past schedules. Hopefully it's regularly like the honeymooners on weekends. BTW, I will always watch COSBY. it's that good and it held up well now, from its prime to even its twilight of a run. I don't mind filth, a show's got to be entertaining, let alone funny, which a lot of shows (cable or broadcast) are so not. Some shows just try to be shocking to be shocking in its stories without substantial reasons why it's there, and it ain't even shocking, it's just stoopid*/pointless. (*meant to be edited that way)

Wait a minute, just looked on TVGuide, now PIX isn't starting their news until 5:30 AM? I thought it was just an hour they were cutting and they would start at 5AM? Boy, now they're starting an full hour later than everybody else. That's a serious disadvantage.

Wait a minute, just looked on TVGuide, now PIX isn't starting their news until 5:30 AM? I thought it was just an hour they were cutting and they would start at 5AM? Boy, now they're starting an full hour later than everybody else. That's a serious disadvantage.

Locate TV has it at 5am and the reports say it's 5am. I'm sure its just an error on TVGuide's part.

Not only that, but as F#cked up as what PIX did to Dan and Marisol, it probably makes sense to make the entire 5-9am show Suki and Kori (two names together sound so sweet japanese btw, anyway) than just have Dan and Mari do just one hour, thus it was probably for the best to cut while they were ahead. (or in their case in terms of ratings, much behind)

Nope, he was given the boot a while ago with Julie grauert and dr. Steve (who may have left on Friday).

Dr. Steve got axed? Now that is shocking. Just a few months ago, he not only did the news, PIX gave him his own weekly show!

look who's in for Kaitlin Monte today Chris Knowles??? why at Pix 11 do people always start later than the announcement says ???? although it may not just be a pix 11 thing but they do it alot Andy started 1 day late Rachel frank started 1 week late now Kaitlin not on yet!!! :confused: and i did not watch 4-6 who was anchoring today???

And I wanna say one thing. We have to be realistic. PIX will never be number 1 in the morning. Especially since their direct competitor (FOX5) is doing pretty good in the morning even earlier on they're not doing too bad. But during the hours up to 7am Lori Stokes and Bill Evans own the New York mornings. No matter who the other anchor is unless they are god offal WABC will win. Now FOX5 has they're dream team so will PIX be number one? Likely not. Could they be better? Well they really can't get worse.

Dr. Steve got axed? Now that is shocking. Just a few months ago, he not only did the news, PIX gave him his own weekly show!

Well, now he's on the 5pm show doing his taped segment "doctor's orders". The reason why I said that he was axed was because of a report a while ago on Jerry Barmash's twitter page (you can't believe everything he says, he's just stating unconfirmed reports lots of times). Also, Suki seemed like she was saying goodbye to him just as the way she was saying goodbye to Dan & Marysol. Skip to 10:30 in the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgSOQqPcv6I

So both of these hints led me to make an assumption that he was axed. But guess what, a new article also says that Dan & Marysol weren't completely out at WPIX and that both of them will remain as reporters, after many reports said that Marysol was definitely out. So this just goes to show you, what is first reported isn't always true (and that you should never make assumptions like I did!)

Why would they hire a new meteorologist just to do an hour a day in the new format? I think Linda might move on to a later time slot. The idea of John, Tamsen and Linda at nights is intriguing, as them three have chemistry.

Why would they hire a new meteorologist just to do an hour a day in the new format? I think Linda might move on to a later time slot. The idea of John, Tamsen and Linda at nights is intriguing, as them three have chemistry.

Yeah, that is weird. Or maybe Linda Church might FINALLY make the move to weekends?! (not saying that's the slot where I would like her to go) ;) :D :lol:

It is interesting that in the #1 market, WPIX is nowhere near being a player in the TV news game. KTLA (Los Angeles) and WGN (Chicago) are both Tribune stations like WPIX and they have 4am newscasts. Both KTLA and WGNs morning newscasts are 6 hours long (4am-10am) and they are highly successful. It seems like Tribune is giving up...kind of...on WPIX as more money is invested in the LA and Chicago stations,

I think the placement of PIX at channel 11 cannot be underestimated as a negative for casual viewing. For example,KTLA is placed at channel 5. If you are surfing, you have to really be dedicated to get past channel 2,4,5,7 and even 9 to look for local programing or news. Coupled with the awful CW programming and you have a recipe for disaster. PIX was beloved by corporate for spending the LEAST per employee to create news programming. Weird for the #1 market, but for years, that's the way it was. Everyone dumps on the current management team. They may not be Edward R Murrows, but cleaning up the wreckage wrought by Carey/Charlier et al cannot be discounted. Take a look at a newscast from 2 years ago. It was a horror. Things are improving incrementally. As they say, mistakes were made but I'm optimistic with Muller coming on board.

I think the placement of PIX at channel 11 cannot be underestimated as a negative for casual viewing. For example,KTLA is placed at channel 5. If you are surfing, you have to really be dedicated to get past channel 2,4,5,7 and even 9 to look for local programing or news. Coupled with the awful CW programming and you have a recipe for disaster. PIX was beloved by corporate for spending the LEAST per employee to create news programming. Weird for the #1 market, but for years, that's the way it was. Everyone dumps on the current management team. They may not be Edward R Murrows, but cleaning up the wreckage wrought by Carey/Charlier et al cannot be discounted. Take a look at a newscast from 2 years ago. It was a horror. Things are improving incrementally. As they say, mistakes were made but I'm optimistic with Muller coming on board.

This.

Dan Mannarino just tweeted out this.

https://twitter.com/Pix11Dan/status/476802997062619136

It says "stay tuned, some exciting news coming."

What could this be?

Yeah I noticed that too and retweeted it on my twitter account. Hmmm...Suki pregnant? No, I'm sure she has too many kids by now. They're launching an 11am newscast and Dan will anchor it (maybe with Marysol)? I honestly don't think it is any of these options. I'm just brainstorming and stating whatever comes to mind. That's all I can think of for right now. Or maybe its just that Kaitlin Monte will be joining the PIX Morning news starting tomorrow? Or Maybe they're getting a new set that will debut soon?

Reports say that WPIX Will have a new set and a newsroom overhaul to be completed at the end of second quarter of 2014.

http://www.rew-online.com/2013/09/05/tribune-taps-team-for-wpix-role/

Actually there's already a whole thread on that. If the article is valid, the set would be done already. And unless they are moving to another part of the building, they have barely started. I think a new set is just wishful thinking at this point. But who knows, they may surprise us!

Yeah I noticed that too and retweeted it on my twitter account. Hmmm...Suki pregnant? No, I'm sure she has too many kids by now. They're launching an 11am newscast and Dan will anchor it (maybe with Marysol)? I honestly don't think it is any of these options. I'm just brainstorming and stating whatever comes to mind. That's all I can think of for right now. Or maybe its just that Kaitlin Monte will be joining the PIX Morning news starting tomorrow? Or Maybe they're getting a new set that will debut soon?

Kaitlin started Wednesday morning

Actually there's already a whole thread on that. If the article is valid, the set would be done already. And unless they are moving to another part of the building, they have barely started. I think a new set is just wishful thinking at this point. But who knows, they may surprise us!

Apparently the studio they are in now is Studio 2B. I thought it was studio 2A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN4vmH5FsRk&list=UUzqpvO3cxishuzqmx09tnLA

Take a listen at 0:07

Archived