KION Central Coast News New Branding

Working4You

10374030_785114178188146_1104761611499893385_n.jpg

Looks like our Friends at KION Central Coast News has changed its brand. Out is KOIN CBS 46 and in is.... News Channel 546? I feel like this looks awkward with the 546. The Station asked viewers what they thought of their new look on https://www.facebook.com/yourcentralcoastnews and lets just say plenty of people do not like it. The best comment is it looks very 90s ish and like something KMart would design. Haha. Like to hear your thoughts!?

I thought channel 46 is their over-the-air digital (and former analog) channel number. Could this mean they're moving to channel 5 on cable?

Apparently they're already there on cable in most areas of the market.

Things to consider:

This may be "transitional" - migrating to only using the 5, once people know that it's the same station.

That being said, I would rather have another channel number other than 5 - the same channel for CBS in the adjacent market. I guess no one remembers KNTV's "NBC 3" fiasco - confusion with KCRA.... (At least NBC 7 in San Diego isn't on the same channel as NBC 4 in LA)

When you do something like this, use 2 different fonts for each (KUSI used a 9 similar to WGN's and a serifed 51 when they we co-branding both channel numbers) or a slash, dash or ampersand (KOAA's 5/30 or any number of Canadian stations).

One of my favorite dual channel logos, though has to be CHAT's 6&3 : one form that covers both numbers:[ATTACH]1359.IPB[/ATTACH]

image.jpg.83b576c7171cd61cf0aa97b50c4d6d15.jpg

One of my favorite dual channel logos' date=' though has to be CHAT's 6&3 : one form that covers both numbers:[img']http://forums.tvnewstalk.net/public/style_images/master/attachicon.gif[/img]image.jpg

Wow, I had to take a double take. I saw the six, but then a few seconds later, I notice that three imposed around that six.

That's probably one of the most clever logos I've ever seen.

Honorable mention for logo integration goes to WOTV in Battle Creek, MI (even though they ditched this logo for their current one)

WOTV_4_(logo).png

It can be read both ways, as a very convincing "4" as well as "41".

WLAJ also used to have a logo read both 3 and 53:

http://img123.imageshack.us/img123/6312/abc3fh6.jpg

http://forums.tvnewstalk.net/index.php?/topic/2049-moved-freedom-communications-lansing-abc-station-rebrands-from-abc53-to-abc3/

What most people here don't understand is that there are "regular" people who often refer to stations by their cable number rather than their OTA number. For instance, many people here call KSAT "Channel 13" or WOAI "Channel 3" even though the OTA (now PSIP) is obviously different. Does it bother me? Yes. Can I do anything about it? Not really. I tell people the difference between cable and OTA numbers but they just brush it off or don't care.

The branding could work... if they pulled a WLNY. "KION TV 5 and 46"

EXACTLY what I had in my mind. Since I live in New York, I kinda had to make that mock to see how it would fit KION. It's still quite busy, but it could work. But then again, I still think WLNY should rename their newscasts "WLNY News" and ditch the whole TV 10/55 thing. But whatever.

EXACTLY what I had in my mind. Since I live in New York, I kinda had to make that mock to see how it would fit KION. It's still quite busy, but it could work. But then again, I still think WLNY should rename their newscasts "WLNY News" and ditch the whole TV 10/55 thing. But whatever.

I think it's a cool branding, if done correctly. I like NBC 7/39, too. I also liked the tacky female whisper of "thirty nine" after Doug Paul's "NBC SEVEN." I just want to see if they can pull it off.

I don't have much graphic experience, but I figured I'd make this mock in powerpoint. Maybe I'm crazy, but I think the whole "5 46" thing is really weird. Although it doesn't

look great, I think this design looks much cleaner.

koin-logo-mock-1.png

This looks nice but I personally can't stand Calibri as a font ... for anything! And since it's now the Office default it gets wayyyyy overused!

But to stay on track... why do stations try to do this? Perhaps I just don't "get" it, but here in the Lehigh Valley, PA, people just call the station what it is. We are in the Philly market but most of us are too far in the Valley (plus over 60+ miles from Philly) to get all of them, so they are on cable - either Service Electric, RCN, Blue Ridge Communications, or Comcast depending on the area. The major networks " ("3, 6, and 10" we all say around here) are their OTA numbers and are usually on 3, 6, or 10 on the cable companies. 69, WFMZ, is often on a lower number (whether it's 4, 7, 8, or 15), but EVERYONE just says "Channel 69" even though it's not on 69.

So, this concept of dual numbers is foreign to me!

This looks nice but I personally can't stand Calibri as a font ... for anything! And since it's now the Office default it gets wayyyyy overused!

But to stay on track... why do stations try to do this? Perhaps I just don't "get" it, but here in the Lehigh Valley, PA, people just call the station what it is. We are in the Philly market but most of us are too far in the Valley (plus over 60+ miles from Philly) to get all of them, so they are on cable - either Service Electric, RCN, Blue Ridge Communications, or Comcast depending on the area. The major networks " ("3, 6, and 10" we all say around here) are their OTA numbers and are usually on 3, 6, or 10 on the cable companies. 69, WFMZ, is often on a lower number (whether it's 4, 7, 8, or 15), but EVERYONE just says "Channel 69" even though it's not on 69.

So, this concept of dual numbers is foreign to me!

Same way in Youngstown. We call WFMJ "21" even though it might be 2, 3, 4, 5, 1003, or 102. Heck, most regular folk east of the Mississippi use the PSIP or OTA rather than a cable number.

Archived