Giant Octopus now syndicating knockoffs

Webovision

Oh, how the mighty have fallen... Giant Octopus/FX Group have taken another step towards being completely unoriginal. they now offer three syndicated graphics packages that are blatant rip-offs of other designer's work.

"look c" looks an awful lot like the current Scripps package:

http://vimeo.com/98960904

"look A" looks like the tribune fox package:

http://vimeo.com/m/98959025

can anyone put their thumb on the "inspiration" for this one? http://vimeo.com/m/98960244

Look C is a carbon copy of the Renderon Scripps graphics except the forecast graphics, it's better than the real thing for one reason: it's blue, no orange bars and lines all over. That angled blue live at the beginning looks an awful lot like what WLS has at the beginning of it's openings.

Look C honestly doesn't look too bad. It would be a good refresh for Scripps' package actually. Heck, and argument could even be made that it's slightly better than the current Scripps package, like what ns8401 said up there above me. Although yeah, to show a demo of graphics and then have the "demo" be filled with nothing but a few stills isn't really a demo at all. I don't know what that last one is supposed to be based off of though.

Why did GO and FX Group even merge in the first place? GO was so much better off on its own.

...and those reels don't even show the graphics moving. What happened over there? The sale to FX Group seems to have done a real number on them.

I think everyone left. I think they initially let a lot of the GO designers go, then the two founding members of GO left and started their own thing.

So at this point I think they just try to sell stuff using a once respected name. Some of the best work they've done recently wasn't even done by them, it was contracted out to Cake Studios.

These aren't that bad, and might be a way for low budget operations to get decent graphics, but the idea that they're literally just pushing knockoffs is kind of... odd. Though, I don't know. By the sounds of it, that's how most of these deals go anyways. Someone at the station just points at something someone else has and goes "That. I want that!" FX's sets are a prime example of this. Might as well do the same with graphics.

I think everyone left. I think they initially let a lot of the GO designers go, then the two founding members of GO left and started their own thing.

So at this point I think they just try to sell stuff using a once respected name. Some of the best work they've done recently wasn't even done by them, it was contracted out to Cake Studios.

These aren't that bad, and might be a way for low budget operations to get decent graphics, but the idea that they're literally just pushing knockoffs is kind of... odd. Though, I don't know. By the sounds of it, that's how most of these deals go anyways. Someone at the station just points at something someone else has and goes "That. I want that!" FX's sets are a prime example of this. Might as well do the same with graphics.

Like, I don't know, creating and managing Blue Helio?

Look C honestly doesn't look too bad. It would be a good refresh for Scripps' package actually. Heck, and argument could even be made that it's slightly better than the current Scripps package, like what ns8401 said up there above me. Although yeah, to show a demo of graphics and then have the "demo" be filled with nothing but a few stills isn't really a demo at all. I don't know what that last one is supposed to be based off of though.

Why did GO and FX Group even merge in the first place? GO was so much better off on its own.

Look C may be Scripps. Nay we not forget that it looks like WBNS!

So GO doesn't even do their own work, they just outsource it? I know I read the same thing here when they did the Live with Regis and Kelly and apparently those were outsourced too...

No. Some works. For example: KTVT, the old Media General package, WISH tv package, WSYR package, WFSB package and WUSA package. See here: http://www.madeinbraindesign.com/

I just don't get it: On the Giant Octopus reel, it says the WSYR package was created for CBS affiliate KPSP in Palm Springs, while on the Made In Brain reel, the package was created for WSYR. Big question is, which package is created for which station?

hmmm wow these MadeInBrain people actually do some pretty good work, although it is still very odd that they're claiming they created a lot of the packages that Giant Octopus claims they made (and to which we've believed now for the longest).

I just don't get it: On the Giant Octopus reel, it says the WSYR package was created for CBS affiliate KPSP in Palm Springs, while on the Made In Brain reel, the package was created for WSYR. Big question is, which package is created for which station?

WSYR had it first. KPSP got it around 2008.

Not that it excuses the current syndie offerings, but with the exception of WBNS 2012, the rest of the packages are old enough to make me wonder if whoever is currently at MadeInBrain previously freelanced at GO, then jumped ship or started their own thing or whatever.

Not that it excuses the current syndie offerings, but with the exception of WBNS 2012, the rest of the packages are old enough to make me wonder if whoever is currently at MadeInBrain previously freelanced at GO, then jumped ship or started their own thing or whatever.

That's not accurate based on the given information on the MadeinBrain site. For every package created for G.O. except WBNS, the tag below the montage says:

Client: Giant Octopus

Concept, design, animation: MADEINBRAIN

But for WBNS, the tag says:

Client: FX Group

Design, animation: MADEINBRAIN

Giant Octopus also made the early 2000s KMGH graphics:

So yeah, they were a major force in broadcast design for a good while. I know they've been accused of plagiarizing Hothaus at times, but aside from that it's sad that they've withered to almost nothing.

So yeah, they were a major force in broadcast design for a good while. I know they've been accused of plagiarizing Hothaus at times, but aside from that it's sad that they've withered to almost nothing.

We can't say that! Blue Helio has taken their place. Same designers with new ideas. The name may be history, but the ideas sure aren't!

We can't say that! Blue Helio has taken their place. Same designers with new ideas. The name may be history, but the ideas sure aren't!

I'm so tired of you continuing to push Blue Helio every opportunity you get. Until there's any sort of significant and legitimate proof they exist, I'm not buying it.

I'm so tired of you continuing to push Blue Helio every opportunity you get. Until there's any sort of significant and legitimate proof they exist, I'm not buying it.

Ok. I completely understand (I'm just excited; sorry). I'll see if I can get an official statement from Rey.

That was a nice one. I liked it better than the Hothaus graphics that replaced it.

Archived