Sinclair Broadcast Group - General Discussion

Smitha A

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, VHSgoodiesWA said:

Since Portland is on the chopping block (KATU), is that a market that Disney could be interested in buying out? Or is Portland too small for an ABC O&O given that KOMO Seattle isn't one either?

Disney is, and has always been, wholly uninterested in buying any TV stations. It'll never happen.

INSP and Coastal/Vision are the likeliest candidates for KATU. Who else wants it?

Edited by Rusty Muck

I see KLEW becoming a passthrough for KREM instead KIMA/KEPR with a stronger combined Palouse bureau (though it's just as likely that there would be layoffs there), but I don't know if Tegna would be interested.

10 minutes ago, Rusty Muck said:

Disney is, and has always been, wholly uninterested in buying any TV stations. It'll never happen.

Wait until Disney merges their streaming apps, it wont be long until Disney wants to add ABC News into their own apps. Everyone else is adding live news into streaming. I'm taking Disney's side if they want to look at KATU, KOMO, KDNL, KTUL, KATV, WXLV, WJLA etc.

10 minutes ago, Rusty Muck said:

INSP and Coastal/Vision are the likeliest candidates for KATU. Who else wants it?

Again why cheer the ones that u want to buy the large market stations, Why let INSP want Sinclair's big markets, NewsNet isn't worth it if your Coastal/Alaska.

3 minutes ago, dzonershow said:

Wait until Disney merges their streaming apps, it wont be long until Disney wants to add ABC News into their own apps. Everyone else is adding live news into streaming. I'm taking Disney's side if they want to look at KATU, KOMO, KDNL, KTUL, KATV, WXLV, WJLA etc.

That's really irrelevant for this matter. 

4 minutes ago, dzonershow said:

Again why cheer the ones that u want to buy the large market stations, Why let INSP want Sinclair's big markets, NewsNet isn't worth it if your Coastal/Alaska.

*Facepalms from the stupidity of the comment.*

Bro... He's not cheering INSP or Coastal/Vision. (The raccoon, Nathan Obral) He's just saying that the ones that are likely to buy KATU is Coastal Television/Vision or INSP.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dzonershow said:

Wait until Disney merges their streaming apps, it wont be long until Disney wants to add ABC News into their own apps. Everyone else is adding live news into streaming.

Totally irrelevant to the topic field.

I'm taking Disney's side if they want to look at KATU, KOMO, KDNL, KTUL, KATV, WXLV, WJLA etc.

Disney won't be looking at these stations. Stop this magic wand wishcasting right now.

I'm not "cheering" anything, I'm just not engaging in magic wand thinking and foolishly spouting off "Hearst! Graham! ABC!" when the facts state otherwise. They aren't buying a bunch of laggards, or anything else, for that matter.

You are really getting on my nerves and I would strongly suggest refraining from making more posts like these.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Rusty Muck said:

I'm not "cheering" anything, I'm just not engaging in magic wand thinking and foolishly spouting off "Hearst! Graham! ABC!" when the facts state otherwise. They aren't buying a bunch of laggards, or anything else, for that matter.

Then why u prioritized Coastal and INSP as your own "magic wand" idea. This isn't "magic wand thinking" this is about speculation. I'm a free market type of guy not a rookie to demand more M&A. Let the free market decide and i'm not fooling around to level the playing field. Again INSP and Coastal will not buying bigger markets, I doubt Disney or Hearst or even Graham will expand in my opinion.

Edited by dzonershow

Then why u prioritized Coastal and INSP as your own "magic wand" idea. This isn't "magic wand thinking" this is about speculation. I'm a free market type of guy not a rookie to demand more M&A. Let the free market decide and i'm not fooling around to level the playing field. Again INSP and Coastal will not buying bigger markets, I doubt Disney or Hearst or even Graham will expand in my opinion.

Did you forget what he said– You know what? Please refain from talking about this topic. Like, actually refain. My mind can't take your nonsense talking anymore.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, dzonershow said:

Then why u prioritized Coastal and INSP as your own "magic wand" idea.

Shut up. I'm not magic wanding anything. You have no idea what in the hell you're talking about.

3 minutes ago, dzonershow said:

This isn't "magic wand thinking" this is about speculation.

This is not a speculation thread.

I'm a free market type of guy not a rookie to demand more M&A. Let the free market decide and i'm not fooling around to level the playing field.

You are clueless and have no idea how things work.

5 minutes ago, dzonershow said:

Again INSP and Coastal will not buying bigger markets, I doubt Disney or Hearst or even Graham will expand in my opinion.

They will buy these stations and you will be disappointed when reality slaps you across the face.

I will only ask this once. Do not quote me and try to prolong this as your time here may be severly limited.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

While we can still maintain civility in this thread, allow me to make a suggestion: Let's all stop responding to "dzonershow" altogether. Freeze them out, and act like they don't exist.

At the same time, those of us who are also on RadioDiscussions should do the same thing to "DarrenVision".

Perhaps that will teach them the message.

Edited by Big Rollo Smokes
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, mre29 said:

For anyone who needs it:

the-west-wing-bartlet.gif.cfef1dd09fabf4dcd9e87e8826680b18.gif

(You're welcome.)

Thanks, that conversation Tuesday was just stupid at best, and at worse, just plain ANNOYING. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

We can only hope that IF Sinclair decides to sell, they won't bungle the sale by trying to hold out for too much money. 

They probably should have cashed out years back, or better yet, never bought some of their stations to begin with!

Chances are, these sales may only happen by force if the creditors take hold of Sinclair in a bankruptcy filing if they get too far gone, then the stations will literally be auctioned off to the highest bidder.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2024 at 7:57 PM, tyrannical bastard said:

We can only hope that IF Sinclair decides to sell, they won't bungle the sale by trying to hold out for too much money. 

They probably should have cashed out years back, or better yet, never bought some of their stations to begin with!

Chances are, these sales may only happen by force if the creditors take hold of Sinclair in a bankruptcy filing if they get too far gone, then the stations will literally be auctioned off to the highest bidder.

Did they ever think about the consequences when they tried to aquire WDAF-TV in Kansas City, WJW in Cleveland, and the rest of the Tribune Media stations? Nope. They never did anything to think about the consequences about what they did or the consequences.

I don't think they would ever EVEN thought about cashing in years ago.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mer764KCTV5 said:

Did they ever think about the consequences when they tried to aquire WDAF-TV in Kansas City, WJW in Cleveland, and the rest of the Tribune Media stations? Nope. They never did anything to think about the consequences about what they did or the consequences.

I don't think they would ever EVEN thought about cashing in years ago.

WGN literally killed the whole deal because of how they tried to pass it off. Even if they sold it to the station's janitor, it was the selling amount that set off the alarm bells with the FCC.

Also, FOX was threatening to pull their affiliations in the markets they once had O&Os.  A side effect of this deal would have been many of the former O&Os going back to Fox in order to pacify FOX so that Sinclair didn't dwarf them.

Fox was well aware of Sinclair's news aspirations.  Nexstar snuck theirs in after they got Tribune and WGN America, and now they're a minimal threat.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

WGN literally killed the whole deal because of how they tried to pass it off. Even if they sold it to the station's janitor, it was the selling amount that set off the alarm bells with the FCC.

Also, FOX was threatening to pull their affiliations in the markets they once had O&Os.  A side effect of this deal would have been many of the former O&Os going back to Fox in order to pacify FOX so that Sinclair didn't dwarf them.

Fox was well aware of Sinclair's news aspirations.  Nexstar snuck theirs in after they got Tribune and WGN America, and now they're a minimal threat.

So Fox could've literally took the affiliation away from WDAF? 

13 hours ago, mer764KCTV5 said:

So Fox could've literally took the affiliation away from WDAF? 

WDAF would have been kept by Sinclair, but other Tribune stations were slated to be sold to Fox including KCPQ, WJW, KSTU, KTXL, KSWB, and WSFL.

https://sbgi.net/sinclair-provides-additional-information-about-agreements-to-sell-tv-stations-related-to-closing-tribune-media-acquisition/

It would have been interesting had WSFL actually wrestled away FOX from WSVN.  But now, it's a soon-to-be independent owned by Scripps.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, tyrannical bastard said:

WDAF would have been kept by Sinclair, but other Tribune stations were slated to be sold to Fox including KCPQ, WJW, KSTU, KTXL, KSWB, and WSFL.

https://sbgi.net/sinclair-provides-additional-information-about-agreements-to-sell-tv-stations-related-to-closing-tribune-media-acquisition/

It would have been interesting had WSFL actually wrestled away FOX from WSVN.  But now, it's a soon-to-be independent owned by Scripps.

Huh, it's weird that they wouldn't re-acquire WDAF.

• Like 2

Fox really wanted WJW back when Nexstar bought Tribune, but Nexstar kept WJW and sold WITI & KCPQ for Charlotte Fox46 & MYNet TV to Nexstar for Seattle & Milwaukee, which I think Fox owned WITI before selling it in 2008 and Fox really wanted Seattle for the Seahawks being an NFC team.

Just what Sinclair did in the failed merger with Tribune, but Sinclair already owned KOMO in Seattle, and they were going to have to sell because of top 4. Fox was going to get in Seattle no matter what almost did with a small TV station before Fox & Tribune renewed their contract and KCPQ remained a Fox station just took Fox a few years before they could make it an O&O. Seems that Seattle viewers don't watch KOMO or KCPQ since it became a Fox O&O.