Tom Llamas joining ABC News

JoseRM303

Why not? Wouldn't a network correspondent position be bigger?

It'd depend upon the terms of the arrangement, but I'm pretty sure someone anchoring the noon and 5 p.m. news on weeknights in NYC is making quite a bit more money than someone traveling around filing reports for GMA and World News like Gio Benitez or Cecilia Vega. That's generally why you see anchors from smaller markets or local reporters moving up to the network level rather than someone like Diana Williams or Chuck Scarborough leaving their jobs to become reporters at the network level. That's why I'm wondering if Tom is being given some sort of anchoring position at ABC.

It'd depend upon the terms of the arrangement, but I'm pretty sure someone anchoring the noon and 5 p.m. news on weeknights in NYC is making quite a bit more money than someone traveling around filing reports for GMA and World News like Gio Benitez or Cecilia Vega. That's generally why you see anchors from smaller markets or local reporters moving up to the network level rather than someone like Diana Williams or Chuck Scarborough leaving their jobs to become reporters at the network level. That's why I'm wondering if Tom is being given some sort of anchoring position at ABC.

Ok. That makes sense.

My prediction: He'll most likely anchor on Weekend GMA replacing Dan Harris who will head to WNT Weekend or Harris will do double duty on GMA/WNT weekends like Lester Holt and Llamas takes over Nightline? I don't see anything else that fits.

Unless Muir plans to leave 20/20?

Keep in mind, 'World News Now' and 'America This Morning' haven't had permanent anchors for like 4-5 months.

Also, I still don't see Harris moving to WNT Weekend. He's already doing Nightline, which would make him the unofficial #3 at ABC. And I know too many will cry bloody murder if the #1, 2 & 3 anchors at ABC are white, middle-aged males.

Keep in mind, 'World News Now' and 'America This Morning' haven't had permanent anchors for like 4-5 months.

Also, I still don't see Harris moving to WNT Weekend. He's already doing Nightline, which would make him the unofficial #3 at ABC. And I know too many will cry bloody murder if the #1, 2 & 3 anchors at ABC are white, middle-aged males.

I don't think he's the unofficial #3. Maybe 5 or 6, but not 3.

If he were promoted to weekend WNT anchor, he would be. He's the second fill-in for George, and likely 1st or 2nd to sit in for David (I'm thinking Amy will be first, for now). Add in his Nightline duties, and he already ranks pretty high among the men/everyone.

I'm not saying I suspect this... but I'm just going to throw it out there...

The View has yet to announce the rest of its new panel of co-hosts, including someone with a news background...

I don't think The View will be hiring any male co-hosts. It was mentioned recently that they're going to stick with female co-hosts-for now. Although, Ross Matthews and Jesse Palmer were on the possible list of replacements at one time, they'd probably get hired before Tom.

I thought of the early morning newscasts, but is that really a reason to leave a great evening position in NY?

The program has a good pedigree. David Muir and Anderson Cooper did pretty well,and most of the other male anchors have returned to local news in high-profile anchor slots at/or very successful stations. I've heard of much worse career stop-overs.

The program has a good pedigree. David Muir and Anderson Cooper did pretty well,and most of the other male anchors have returned to local news in high-profile anchor slots at/or very successful stations. I've heard of much worse career stop-overs.

Agreed, but Tom already was already a high profile news anchor at a good station in the top market.

Look, we don't know all the details. Maybe through the rumormill he's discovered that he won't be replacing Chuck one day. He's also at the helm of the near-last place newscast in the market (last I knew). Also, it needs to be reminded that some reporters still see the network level as the top of the mountain (even if for a lower salary), or as a stepping stone to greater things...even at a local level. At any rate, he knows that he's not satisfied in his now-former position at WNBC, so he's moving on to what he hopes will be a personal step forward in his career.

Look, we don't know all the details. Maybe through the rumormill he's discovered that he won't be replacing Chuck one day. He's also at the helm of the near-last place newscast in the market (last I knew). Also, it needs to be reminded that some reporters still see the network level as the top of the mountain (even if for a lower salary), or as a stepping stone to greater things...even at a local level. At any rate, he knows that he's not satisfied in his now-former position at WNBC, so he's moving on to what he hopes will be a personal step forward in his career.

If you want to get technical, I think FOX 5 News at 5pm is the last in the ratings battle. But I think NBC is now just ahead of them. Even PIX is beating NBC. Does it show how much WNBC is slacking? Yes, but I think it shows more how much PIX11 is improving (especially in the evenings). Even though this was only the July sweeps, WNBC has always had trouble making progress at 5pm. Do I think Tom was the problem? No. Do I think Shiba was the problem? Maybe (not showing hate toward Shiba Russel or anything, it's just that people don't seem to be "accepting" her, if you know what I mean. People loved Sue Simmons and won't watch some younger woman that's supposed to be "replacing" her.) But then again, WNBC didn't even do that well in the ratings, even when Sue was at the helm of the ship. But I digress...

You can be satisfied at a work place and still leave for another job. Why are you assuming he was unsatisfied. Like you said, we don't know the details of his departure.

My guess is Tom is going to anchor World News Tonight during the weekend or one of the days during the weekend with Rebecca Jarvis anchoring the other weekend night. Good Morning America and Good Morning America Weekend are likely not to see any anchor changes for the foreseeable future. I don't see Dan Harris going back to WNT Weekend or Amy Robach as she was just recently made News Anchor on GMA. I don't think Tom would leave WNBC to host World News Now or America This Morning. Perhaps Tom will take over for Bill Ritter at WABC when he retires tho I think that's unlikely.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived