2014 NFL Season

Thundershock MN

I think how it looks without the eye is the least of their worries. I'm sure if the local CBS doesn't pick up the local simulcast, the switchboards will be lighting up with angry and confused viewers those nights.

I would imagine it could be easily covered up. If I recall the logo isn't large enough that it couldn't easily be chyron'd over.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure the NFLN-only half of the season will be fine branding wise. The eyemark isn't THAT prominent on the Thursday Night Football logo. And on the score bug, they can easily replace the CBS logo with the "TNF" initialism they've been using for awhile now.

Speaking of Thursday Night Football... holy shit that theme music.

[yt]kx1BMvx9uZI[/yt]

This kicks Posthumus Zone's ass. And I thought Posthumus Zone was the best NFL theme ever.

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of Thursday Night Football... holy shit that theme music.

This kicks Posthumus Zone's ass. And I thought Posthumus Zone was the best NFL theme ever.

I really do like it better than the Sunday version but I love the few times were this one repeats a few of the notes that are heard on Psthumus Zone. I think it's the best theme in the NFL.

If you watch UFC, and I do, you know that their lead announcer, Mike Goldberg,

You know how when you play Madden or any other sports video game, you always hear the same phrase delivered the same way at least once in every game? That's what Goldberg sounds like.

So naturally, Fox thought he was competent enough to do an NFL game.

This did not go well.

Specifically, it made Mike Adamle, WWE Announcer, seem like Jim Ross.

And, uh, Fox, YOU EMPLOY JIM ROSS. WHO CAN CALL A FOOTBALL GAME.

You know how when you play Madden or any other sports video game, you always hear the same phrase delivered the same way at least once in every game? That's what Goldberg sounds like.

This did not go well.

What does Jim Ross do at FOX?

So...Last Sunday between the Panthers and the Packers, FOX used Sam Rosen (the announcer for the NY Rangers on MSG) to announce that game. And yes he did got confused with the Carolina Panthers and the Carolina Hurricanes.

So...Last Sunday between the Panthers and the Packers, FOX used Sam Rosen (the announcer for the NY Rangers on MSG) to announce that game. And yes he did got confused with the Carolina Panthers and the Carolina Hurricanes.

The same Sam Rosen that usually does NFL games for FOX? Or are there two?

This did not go well.

Ugh. At least Madden PBP gets the players names right. I watched that whole game and it was B-R-U-T-A-L. The scary thing is Fox had him scheduled to do the Vikings vs. Bills game this past Sunday after that performance. It wasn't until his Twitter rampage that he was pulled and replaced with Tim Brando. Between his run as Wild PBP guy and last weeks Vikings game I think I've been subjected to enough Mike Goldberg PBP in my lifetime. It would have been fun to see J.R. do PBP instead of Brando, though.

A few notes:

1. We have two more "cross flex" games this week with Seahawks @ Panthers moving to CBS and, Texans @ Titans moving to Fox. I have updated the OP to reflect the additions.

2. It turns out that the local CBS affiliates were given right of first refusal for the local OTA rights for the second half of the TNF package. So, we likey won't see many (if any) local OTA simulcasts on a non-CBS affiliate. no need to alter the graphics package. But, someone should really tell WJZY/WMYT they shouldn't have assumed they were getting the TNF simulcast for WMYT like last year. The schedule on their website stated WMYT would be carrying the TNF simulcast and, still currently states that.

3. Just a reminder we get 4 Sunday "game windows" this week. Lions vs. Falcons from London will start at 9:30 am ET / 6:30am PT. So, FOX will be starting their NFL coverage at 9am ET/ 6am PT for early Sunday risers. And, if you are a fantasy football player you may need to set your line-up earlier this week.

Guest Former Member 207

JR has a column/blog on FOXSports.com

He also does a weekly podcast on Wednesdays...if you're into the history of wrestling (and the current stuff), he's a great listen. The same company who produces his podcast also does shows for Steve Austin, Chris Jericho, Bill Goldberg, and Roddy Piper.

• 5 weeks later...

There wasn't a Matteau playing, was there?

• 2 weeks later...

Fun fact: I'm pretty sure tonight is the first time two NFL teams played on back-to-back Thursdays. This is a result of the expansion of the TNF package this year.

For those interested the Week 16 Saturday (December 20th) doubleheader it has had the start times and networks finalized. Eagles @ Redskins will air at 4:30pm ET on NFLN (w/ OTA simulcasts in the primary markets.) And, the Chargers @ 49ers will air at 8:25pm ET on CBS and NFLN. This is also a result of the expansion of the "TNF package" this year.

While on the topic of the TNF package I'm curious if we might see another non-CBS affiliate air a local simulcast this season. WLWT and KSHB are the two lone non-CBS affiliates to pick up the local OTA simulcasts. To the best of my knowledge the local CBS affiliates have right of first refusal. This seems to be confirmed/alluded to in these two articles. And, ABC and Hearst are given the same right of first refusal for their stations when it comes to MNF. So, it's not shocking there are only two exceptions so far. But, WUSA has already announced they will have the local simulcast of the Week 16 Saturday game. And, I think it's safe to say KYW will pick up that game in Philly. That leaves Week 16's Titans @ Jaguars games as the final chance to add another non-CBS affiliate to the list. I wish I would have pointed this out earlier I would have loved to have seen screengrabs/video to see if any peacocks made an appearance on screen during the game. But, I'm hoping we might get one more opportunity.

While on the topic of the TNF package I'm curious if we might see another non-CBS affiliate air a local simulcast this season. WLWT and KSHB are the two lone non-CBS affiliates to pick up the local OTA simulcasts. To the best of my knowledge the local CBS affiliates have right of first refusal. This seems to be confirmed/alluded to in these two articles. And, ABC and Hearst are given the same right of first refusal for their stations when it comes to MNF. So, it's not shocking there are only two exceptions so far. But, WUSA has already announced they will have the local simulcast of the Week 16 Saturday game. And, I think it's safe to say KYW will pick up that game in Philly. That leaves Week 16's Titans @ Jaguars games as the final chance to add another non-CBS affiliate to the list. I wish I would have pointed this out earlier I would have loved to have seen screengrabs/video to see if any peacocks made an appearance on screen during the game. But, I'm hoping we might get one more opportunity.

WZTV Fox 17 is carrying the game in Nashville instead of WTVF. WTEV...I mean WJAX CBS 47 will be airing the game in Jacksonville. The remaining games will air on CBS affiliates.

But you're right, I was wondering that because KMOV here in St. Louis is carrying the Rams' Thursday Night game against the Arizona Cardinals this week, and usually this is a game that KPLR or KTVI would carry. I had a feeling that CBS affiliates have the right to first refusal and thanks for confirming that.

WZTV Fox 17 is carrying the game in Nashville instead of WTVF. WTEV...I mean WJAX CBS 47 will be airing the game in Jacksonville. The remaining games will air on CBS affiliates.

But you're right, I was wondering that because KMOV here in St. Louis is carrying the Rams' Thursday Night game against the Arizona Cardinals this week, and usually this is a game that KPLR or KTVI would carry. I had a feeling that CBS affiliates have the right to first refusal and thanks for confirming that.

Well, it would have helped had I put the link in the post...D'oh! I went back and added them into the post. Anyway, the one article from the Buffalo News is kind of telling. The GM of WBBZ was interviewed and mentioned "he was told that five CBS affiliates are carrying the eight NFL Network games that aren't on CBS' schedule and the other three CBS affiliates remain possibilities." I presume he meant games not affiliates because low and behold three of the games have (or, had) a non-CBS affiliate involved.

Again, I'm not 100% positive. But, based on the evidence it's a fair assumption the CBS affiliates have (or, had) "right of first refusal" to the NFLN exclusive TNF games. First, it's a well known fact ABC O&O's and Hearst stations have "right of first refusal" for MNF games. The two articles previously posted allude to CBS affiliates being granted the same provision in some fashion. And, of the 16 stations involved with simulcasting the NFLN exclusive games this year only 3 weren't CBS affiliates. I have a hard time believing that's a simply a coincidence.

Also, of those 3 three "non-CBS" stations to air the game the rumor is that in two of those markets the CBS affiliate wanted to place the game on a sister station (KCTV->KSMO and WKRC->WSTR.) My understanding is that at least based on what I've heard is that the "right of first refusal" extends only to the CBS affiliate in the market not to the station owner of the CBS affiliate in the market. So, this "faux pas" of wanting to use a sister station allowed the game to fall to another station in the market. This rumor/theory would seem to hold some weight given Meredith, owner of KCTV/KSMO in KC, choose to use KPHO for the simulcast instead of KTVK in Phoenix. So, the CBS programming was shuttled over to KTVK for the night versus the game just being put there. And, it's also worth noting the CBS O&O's used their CBS stations in their duopoly markets versus using their CW/MNT/Indy station(s) to air the game...so, take that for what it's worth.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a little behind in posting this but, just an FYI to everyone that for the second season in a row all the NFL playoff games will be streamed live. The postseason streaming mirrors the regular season streaming. However, CBS will again join the postseason streaming fray after sitting on the sidelines during the regular season. Viewing via a mobile phone is still restricted to Verizon. Here is breakdown:

ESPN Game:

Phones: Verizon (NFL Mobile)

All Other Devices: ESPN (WatchESPN)

CBS Games:

All Other Devices: CBS (cbssports.com/afcplayoffs)*

FOX Games:

All Other Devices: FOX (FOX Sports Go)

NBC Games:

All Other Devices: NBC (NBC Sports Live Extra) -or- (Deportes Telemundo en Vivo Extra)**

* CBS Games require no authentication

** Final details regarding streaming of Super Bowl XLXI have yet to be announced. However, I expect there to be no authentication. I'm not sure if the league requires it or if they just strongly encourage it. This was the case in 2012 with NBC, 2013 with CBS and 2014 with FOX. So, I see no reason they'd break from doing that.

So, this news is really related to next season and the London games.

If you enjoyed having the extra Sunday 9:30am ET "game window" this season you're in luck. Apparently this years "test" went well enough as next year the league will double down with two (of three) London games in the extra Sunday 9:30am ET "game window". The Jets vs. Dolphins on October 4th and Bills vs. Jaguars on October 25th will both kickoff at 9:30am ET. The other 2015 London game (Lions vs. Chiefs on November 1st) has yet to have a kickoff time announced. But, I assume that game will fall into the traditional 1pm ET "game window" that has been used for London games in past years. Another minor thing is the league is "testing" London games in back-to-back weeks in 2015 as well.

My thoughts...First, I think this is a precursor to the Sunday 9:30am ET "game window" becoming a (semi-)permanent fixture every season. If the results for 2015 are similar to 2014 proving it wasn't just a "one-off novelty" for viewers then I see it sticking around....especially, with the London games here to stay. And, Wembley's exclusive five year deal ends after the 2016 season opening up the possibility of other venues (like...IDK...Olympic Stadium) being used as well for a larger slate of London games either, as part a further expanded International Series or for a permanent London team. So, having the extra "game window" take off would allow for added flexibility in staging London games in the future (or, scheduling for a permanent London based team.) Likewise, it could have the added side effect of allowing the league to possibly carve out another tv package from the added "game window". And, extra inventory though either more regular season games, expanded playoffs or "artificially created" through more "game windows" will only serve to help Goodell and the league in their aggressive quest to have the NFL reach $25b in annual revenues by 2027.

Fun facts for the playoffs next week:

1. The NFC game will feature two teams in cities that do not have a Fox O&O (Tribune v. Sinclair).

2. WTTV gets another week to promote their partnership with the Colts and use that partnership to attract more viewers.

Archived