2014 NFL Season

Thundershock MN

The start of the 2014 NFL regular season is days away. So, I figured since we had a spot to discuss the preseason why not start one for the regular season.

With the new year come the start of the new broadcasting agreements between the league and their broadcast partners.

ESPN: MNF Package is for 8 years (running through the 2021-22 season.)

NBC: SNF Package is for 9 years (running through the 2022-23 season.)

CBS: TNF Package is for 1 years (with a league option for a second year.)

CBS: "AFC Package" is for 9 years (running through the 2022-23 season.)

FOX: "NFC Package" is for 9 years (running through the 2022-23 season.)

Verizon: In Market Mobile Phone streaming is for 4 years (running through the 2017-18 season.)

DirecTV: NFL Sunday Ticket Package expires after this season. And, was subsequently renewed in-season for an additional 8 years (running through the 2022-23 season.)

Of course, with the new deals come changes. Here are some of the changes or "highlights" related to NFL broadcasting headed into the new season:

Thursday Night Football:

Saturday Night Football:

• As part of the new TNF package late season Saturday Night football makes a return in the form of a week 16 doubleheader.
  • One game will be simulcast on NFL Network and CBS. The other will be shown exclusively on NFL Network (with OTA simulcasts in local markets.)

Expanded Sunday Night Football "Flex Scheduling":

• As part of the new SNF deal "flex scheduling" has been expanded so that games between Weeks 5 and 17 could be affected by "flex scheduling." However, only two games may be flexed into Sunday Night between Week 5 and 10.
  • The rest of the flexible scheduling procedures remain the same.

Sunday afternoon "Cross Flexing":

• As part of the new deals with CBS and FOX the NFL will introduce "cross flexing" allowing the league to move Sunday afternoon "CBS Games" to FOX and "Fox games" to CBS.
  • The league can move up to seven "FOX games" to CBS, and up to seven "CBS games" to FOX annually.
  • There must be an equal number of games flexed from one network to the other.
  • There are 6 games that have already been "Cross Flexed" all being announced as part of the NFL Schedule release:
    Week 1(September 7) ,Bills @ Bears on FOX (Normally a "CBS game")
  • Week 2(September 14), Falcons @ Bengals on CBS (Normally a "FOX game")
  • Week 4(September 28), Panthers @ Ravens on CBS (Normally a "FOX game")
  • Week 5(October 5), Bills @ Lions on FOX (Normally a "CBS game")
  • Week 12(November 23), Redskins @ 49ers on CBS (Normally a "FOX game")
  • Week 13(November 27-Thanksgiving), Bears @ Lions on CBS (Normally a "FOX game")

[*]There have been 8 games "Cross Flexed" during the season:

• Week 6(October 12), Patriots @ Bills on FOX (Normally a "CBS Game") -
Announced on September 28th.
Week 8(October 26), Seahawks @ Panthers on CBS (Normally a "FOX Game") - Announced on October 12th.
Week 8(October 26), Texans @ Titans on FOX (Normally a "CBS Game") - Announced on October 12th.
Week 11(November 16), Vikings @ Bears on CBS (Normally a "FOX Game") - Announced on November 2nd.
Week 14(December 7), Colts @ Browns on FOX (Normally a "CBS Game") - Announced on November 23rd.
Week 15(December 14), Bengals @ Browns on FOX (Normally a "CBS Game") - Announced on November 30th.
Week 17(December 28), Panthers @ Falcons on CBS (Normally a "FOX Game") - Announced on December 23rd.
Week 17(December 28), Jaguars @ Texans on FOX (Normally a "CBS Game") - Announced on December 23rd.

Postseason football:

[*]As part of their deal the Pro Bowl will move exclusively to ESPN for the duration of their contract (through the 2021-22 season)

Early Morning Sunday Football:

Bills Toronto Series & NFL International Series:

• The Bills Toronto Series is "on hiatus" for 2014. So, no trips for either CBS or FOX to The Great White North to broadcast games.
  • A total of three games will be played in London this year as part of the NFL International Series. CBS will make one trip across the pond while FOX will make two:
    Week 4 (September 28), Raiders vs. Dolphins, 1pm ET on CBS
  • Week 8 (October 26), Falcons vs. Lions, 9:30am ET on FOX
  • Week 10 (November 9), Cowboys vs. Jaguars, 1pm ET on FOX

En Espanol:

[*]Fox Deportes will broadcast a Spanish Language version of the following NFL Games:

• Week 13(November 27-Thanksgiving), Eagles @ Cowboys
  • All FOX postseason games

[*]Mun2 will broadcast a Spanish Language version of the following NFL Games:

• Week 4(September 28), Saints @ Cowboys
  • Week 13(November 27-Thanksgiving), Seahawks @ 49ers
  • NBC's Wild Card Game
  • NBC's Divisional Round Game
  • Super Bowl XLIX

[*]All CBS, FOX, NBC and NFLN games will continue to be simulcast in Spanish via SAP

Expanded Streaming Options:

• Broadcasters were granted "TV Everywhere" rights (except via mobile phones) as part of their new deals. Mobile phone rights continue to be held by Verizon (through the 2017-18 season.) So, as at least as I understand it here is a quick breakdown of Streaming/Mobile rights:

Sunday Night Football:

Phones: Verizon (NFL Mobile)

All Other Devices: NBC (NBC Sports Live Extra)

Monday Night Football:

All Other Devices: ESPN (WatchESPN)

Thursday Night Football:

All Other Devices: NFL (Watch NFL Network)*

CBS Package (In Market):

All Other Devices: CBS (cbssports.com/afcplayoffs)**

FOX Package (In Market):

All Other Devices: FOX (FOX Sports Go)

CBS Package (Out Of Market):

Phones: DirecTV (NFL Sunday Ticket MAX)***

All Other Devices: DirecTV (NFL Sunday Ticket MAX)***

FOX Package (Out Of Market):

Phones: DirecTV (NFL Sunday Ticket MAX)***

All Other Devices: DirecTV (NFL Sunday Ticket MAX)***

NFL RedZone:

All Other Devices: NFL (Watch NFL Network)

*I don't believe the league extended CBS "TV Everywhere" or digital rights for TNF.

**CBS has yet to officially announce or launch their online/mobile streaming of NFL regular season games.

***Also available via the standalone "online-only" NFL Sunday Ticket.tv service.

NFL's new "digital network":

• With the start of the preseason the NFL launched their "digital network", NFL Now.
  • NFL Now allows you to build a personalized stream from the NFL's library of digital videos. You can also upload your NFL.com fantasy roster. So, the content in your stream (highlights, news, analysis, press conferences, team produced shows, etc.) is tailored around your favorite teams, players, etc.
  • The NFL has also built a studio in Los Angeles to create original programming specifically for NFL Now, in addition to all the team produced content and content sourced from league partners. The first production looks to be "The Rich Eisen Show" that will be produced in partnership with DirecTV (and simulcast on Audience Network & Root Sports.)
  • NFL Now is ad-supported and totally free to use.
  • Users can "upgrade" to NFL Now Plus for just $1.99/mo. and gain access to instant in-game highlights from each game, as well as the extensive vault of NFL Films shows and documentaries ranging from Hard Knocks, America’s Game to A Football Life and more popular productions.

Other Notes:

[*]DirecTV Sunday Ticket Changes.

DirecTV is adding a Fantasy Zone Channel for Sunday Ticket Max and Sunday Ticket.TV Max subscribers.

[*]NFL Game Rewind.

• Short on time? The condensed 30 minute versions of each weeks games will be shown each week on NFL Network.

Well, I guess I got a little long winded. Anyway, enjoy the season.

EDITS: (10/5/14) - Added Sunday Ticket renewal info, Week 6 "Cross Flex" game and Spanish Language info. (10/21/14) - Added Week 8 "Cross Flex" games and NFL Game Rewind info. (11/10/14) - Added Week 11 "Cross Flex" game. (12/4/14) - Added Week 14 & 15 "Cross Flex" games (12/27/14) - Added Week 17 "Cross Flex" games.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very thorough, I'm impressed.

Gold star for you.

Thanks.

Does any of that involve moving the Pro Bowl back to after the Super Bowl anytime soon?

Nope. This seasons Pro Bowl will be held in Arizona at University of Phoenix Stadium, the site of this years Super Bowl. The Pro Bowl will return to Aloha Stadium in Hawaii next season. Both will be held the Sunday prior to the Super Bowl. I think the ship has sailed on the Pro Bowl being held after the Super Bowl. The league seems content with it "filling" the break between the conference championships and the Super Bowl.

NFL broadcasting in Canada will be a little different this year; previously, CTV/TSN aired early games, CityTV/Sportsnet aired late games, TSN aired Sunday/Monday Night Football, and Sportsnet aired Thursday Night Football.

This year, CTV has rights to the late games too, and they will also be using CTV Two to air games. As such, their local, Sunday night newscasts will be pre-empted to 7:30 p.m. (as if that much happens on Sunday evenings in Canada to warrant a full hour of news anyway). TSN's new army of regional channels may also help matters this year too.

CityTV and Sportsnet will simulcast the Thursday Night Football games being broadcast by CBS and NFL Network. I do believe they will also air the Thanksgiving games too, as in the past.

Anybody think we'll be seeing a new ESPN graphics package for Monday Night Football and/or a new graphics package for their other sports, as well? All of ESPN's studio shows got new graphics this year, and all of the game coverage graphics are getting up there in age. I'd say it's either this year or next that we're gonna see new live game graphics for ESPN.

I doubt we'll see anything new for MNF. It's a handsome look and it's aged well, so I would think that something would be in the works for their MLB coverage first. Heck, I thought they'd bring out something new for college football this year, but I was wrong.

They desperately need new game graphics. If they didn't introduce new gfx for their 25th anniversary of carrying MLB, then I doubt anything new is released this year. I just hope that they don't go with the flat SC look on the game telecasts the next time they update their graphics.

Also, I'm surprised that NBC didn't go with a new pack this season seeing as they're televising the Super Bowl in Feb.

NBC only has used the current graphics for two full NFL seasons plus the playoffs and Super Bowl in early 2012; it's a litte too early to replace that package. Fox used the previous graphics package for two Super Bowls (albeit with a different score bug), so I assume NBC will do the same. It's also possible that NBC will do a small refresh for the Super Bowl much like they did in 2008, but I'd say the current graphics will be used for at least another two years. They just unified the graphics between NBC, NBCSN, and all of the CSNs, and I don't think they're gonna want to mess with it so soon.

I agree about the current Monday Night Football graphics being nice, but they desperately need new graphics for their other sports. Those date back to 2009!

Actually, a Twitter user who actually works as a designer at ESPN spilled the beans a few days ago that MNF is getting new graphics this season. I bet you this may end up being the future look for college football too, per the precedent of the old silver graphics (which debuted on MNF first, then went to college when the bowl games started). Parts of the old MNF look didn't quite work as well as I thought they would, in my personal opinion (particularly L3s).

And yeah, Sunday NFL Countdown got a new look too; elements of it are clearly based on the new SportsCenter graphics (but in black), which isn't surprising.

A few quick notes.

As expected Fox "officially" announced their intention to stream Sunday Afternoon "in market" games via Fox Sports Go (exempting mobile phones) earlier this week. However, CBS has yet to follow suit and "officially" announce their intention to stream Sunday Afternoon "in market" games. And, CBS' website and apps have yet to be updated. So, unless they are keeping it super hidden it looks like CBS won't be offering streaming at this time even though (like Fox) they have the rights to do so. As such I have updated the OP to add an additional annotation related to CBS' streaming or lack there of.

Second, The NFL is also following through on their promise to deliver original content to their new "digital network", NFL Now. On Wednesday they announced two original programs, "Finding Giants" and "Undrafted." The latter series follows undrafted college players through the NFL Super Regional Combines and "Finding Giants" follows the Scouts and Front Office of the New York Giants as they work to identify future prospects. The series debut in late September an October respectively. However, both will only be available as part of NFL Now Plus the $1.99/mo subscription "upgrade."

Lastly, For those of you with DirecTV as per usual NFL Sunday Ticket is offered as a free preview this weekend. And, before anyone asks no viewers in "Raycom areas" will not have access to their local games via NFL Sunday Ticket. Didn't realize an agreement between Raycom/DirecTV was announced while typing this post.

NBC only has used the current graphics for two full NFL seasons plus the playoffs and Super Bowl in early 2012; it's a litte too early to replace that package. Fox used the previous graphics package for two Super Bowls (albeit with a different score bug), so I assume NBC will do the same. It's also possible that NBC will do a small refresh for the Super Bowl much like they did in 2008, but I'd say the current graphics will be used for at least another two years. They just unified the graphics between NBC, NBCSN, and all of the CSNs, and I don't think they're gonna want to mess with it so soon.

I agree about the current Monday Night Football graphics being nice, but they desperately need new graphics for their other sports. Those date back to 2009!

NBC's baby is the NHL rights and as they have with the last two looks they've used the Winter Classic to debut them. If there is new stuff down the pipe, look for it to debut there.

Actually, a Twitter user who actually works as a designer at ESPN spilled the beans a few days ago that MNF is getting new graphics this season. I bet you this may end up being the future look for college football too, per the precedent of the old silver graphics (which debuted on MNF first, then went to college when the bowl games started). Parts of the old MNF look didn't quite work as well as I thought they would, in my personal opinion (particularly L3s).

And yeah, Sunday NFL Countdown got a new look too; elements of it are clearly based on the new SportsCenter graphics (but in black), which isn't surprising.

They're still using the old graphics. Are you sure your source was reputable?

Wow. That is gorgeous. I love that wood tone, and the partial Peacock light fixture on the wall is kinda interesting.

It's incredibly gorgeous. Definitely my favorite new set launch in Connecticut for a sports outlet. It's smaller than ESPN's SportsCenter studio but NBC's Sunday Night Football studio to be feels much more inviting than ESPN and I think the wood tones make the set.

The partial peacock seems to be NBC's creative services department latest toy. All new shows on NBC have aired promos with the main character up against half a peacock. Don't ask me why half?

• 3 weeks later...

Patriots at Bills October 12 at 1:00 now on Fox. Bears at Falcons moves to 4:25 that same day.

Thank you. I have updated the OP to reflect the additional "Cross Flex" game.

Deportes Telemundo is having tonight's game between the Cowboys and the Saints on Mun2.

NBCU's agreement grants them "Spanish language rights so that games could be shown on Telemundo, mun2 or with an SAP feed." As such NBCU announced that Mun2 will carry a 5 game package this year. Unlike, the past few years it doesn't appear at this time as though Telemundo will air a Spanish Language version of any NBC games. Your post gave me the idea add an "En Espanol" section to the OP outlining the Spanish Language games.

Also, on the Mun2 front NBCU has amassed a ton of Spanish Language sports rights (EPL, NFL, NASCAR, FIFA World Cup, etc) with Mun2 serving as the cable outpost for those rights. So, don't be shocked when it's renamed/rebranded as Telemundo Deportes Network (or, similar) soon.

Here is a random thought I had. I'm curious to see if they will scrub the CBS Eye from the TNF graphics for games that are NFLN exclusive and aren't simulcast on CBS. It's going to look weird when one of those TNF games is simulcast on a local station that isn't a CBS affiliate like WMYT if they don't.

I think how it looks without the eye is the least of their worries. I'm sure if the local CBS doesn't pick up the local simulcast, the switchboards will be lighting up with angry and confused viewers those nights.

Archived