Looks like WGN is getting new graphics (and new cuts of Chicago's Very Own music?)

Spring Rubber

Earlier this evening, WGN ran their weekly commercial for the WGN Morning News where they recap the previous week and tease what's coming up next week. Prior to today, this promo has always used the current news graphics, but now today, a brand new look for that commercial emerged that's in line with what we've seen on the Evening News commercials.

Now I'd say it's all but confirmed: After tonight's 10pm Bears Preview special, they ran one of those 10 second anchor-hosted teasers for the WGN Morning News at 4, and guess what the teaser featured? The new graphics...AND what appears to be a new cut of Chicago's Very Own (well, either it's new, or it's something that has existed but has rarely if ever been used on-air). I'm not sure if they're gonna be using this new music on the newscasts themselves, but it looks like the morning teasers will at the very least be using it.

I'll have some terrible cell phone video of the new look in a moment or two. In closing, I'd like to say that they really should have saved off on new graphics until they get a chance to replace their 10-year-old set. ;)

EDIT: Here's the video... (This one features the traditional music, not the cut I heard on the 10-second teaser later in the night)

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How much do I want to see the anchor promo? I'm actually watching their airing of 'Friends'...and it is just awful.

One thing I'm curious about, though, is a logo change in the works? When you look at WGN-AM and WGN America's new logos, you can't help but notice the similarity. And what do you know? This new angled graphics package almost seems to match that of the 'W' in the two aforementioned logos. Yes, yes, the 2002 model is in the promo, but how hard would it be to make a few dummies leading up to the roll-out? To be clear, none of this means I don't like the current logo.

Just throwin' it out there.

How much do I want to see the anchor promo? I'm actually watching their airing of 'Friends'...and it is just awful.

One thing I'm curious about, though, is a logo change in the works? When you look at WGN-AM and WGN America's new logos, you can't help but notice the similarity. And what do you know? This new angled graphics package almost seems to match that of the 'W' in the two aforementioned logos. Yes, yes, the 2002 model is in the promo, but how hard would it be to make a few dummies leading up to the roll-out? To be clear, none of this means I don't like the current logo.

Just throwin' it out there.

Why would you go to the trouble of debuting the graphics early in a promo and not the logo? That wouldn't make much sense.

Why would you go to the trouble of debuting the graphics early in a promo and not the logo? That wouldn't make much sense.

There have been instances. When WTXF here was going to the Fox O&O look, they had promos running that clearly used first gen O&O elements alongside the existing red and black Fox 29 logo. Earlier still, when the station was transitioning back from Fox Philadelphia to Fox 29, they were using graphics clearly based on the new look with "Fox Philadelphia" logos and branding.

I like that new music. It still has the familiar tune at the end, but the rest of it is completely new. I also really like what I've seen of these new graphics. Their current ones are very dated and they're in need of a refresh. I'm kind of excited to see the full package, which I'm assuming will be coming out Monday. I was hoping for a new studio to debut on September 8th too, but I guess that's not happening.

Just saw a promo teasing the Monday evening news, with Mark Suppelsa standing in front of that big video wall in the newsroom. The promo used the new graphics, and the video wall was showing a new title card for the WGN evening news.

Either that or Monday morning. WGN America still shows the Noon newscast and the 4AM newscast for some reason. Still upset about them axing the 9PM news for some other junk I'll probably never watch.

Sadly, we're in the year 2014. People can just stream the news on their computers and smartphones. Plus, people around the country who aren't displaced Chicagoans could care less about Chicago news.

But those graphics and music are looking and sounding good.

Things I'll be looking for with the new package:

• The 'Morning News' is seemingly getting a music update, but the 'Evening News' promo is telling me that might not be the case on the PM side, which I hope is the case. The morning theme's okay, but nothing needs to be done for the other day-parts.
  • Do the talent opens survive? Chicago is still the largest market with more than one station using talent rejoins (2).
  • Will the new graphics have any noticeable similarities to the Tribune Fox package (a variation, of course). Or, will WGN's look (as the flagship) find its way onto some of the lower-ranking markets...or even LA. Anything's possible.
  • How long before someone, somewhere on the internet says that WGN is copying WLS, WMAQ, and WBBM with the blue, white and a little gold look?
    You know who you are. We all know you lurk here.

• How long before someone, somewhere on the internet says that WGN is copying WLS, WMAQ, and WBBM with the blue, white and a little gold look?

Actually, I'm thinking that the little stripe of gold/orange might only be for the morning show. I'd have to see it again, but I'm fairly confident that there was no gold in the promo for the Monday Evening News I saw last night.

Also, there appeared to be a little preview of the new graphics in Jim Ramsey's weather report last night.

IMG_0272_2.JPEG.ffd59fdb45d6b610f397189b1bb0a64f.JPEG

• The 'Morning News' is seemingly getting a music update, but the 'Evening News' promo is telling me that might not be the case on the PM side, which I hope is the case. The morning theme's okay, but nothing needs to be done for the other day-parts.
  • Do the talent opens survive? Chicago is still the largest market with more than one station using talent rejoins (2).
  • Will the new graphics have any noticeable similarities to the Tribune Fox package (a variation, of course). Or, will WGN's look (as the flagship) find its way onto some of the lower-ranking markets...or even LA. Anything's possible.

Blue, white and gold is becoming an industry standard. WLS, WMAQ, Scripps, Graham all use a variation on the same theme. I'm sure there are a bunch more to cite out there too.

I'm begrudgingly watching the Cubs game, so I'll post if I see something, though I'm not surprised that no teases would be done during the ball game. Besides, they're too busy promoting the hell out of tomorrow's evening show.

New music was commissioned to go along with the new graphics. Talent opens remain with the addition of Tim McGill to the midday 11am open since he does the weather hit during that hour.

Archived