All about Raycom Media....

tyrannical bastard

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
BREAKING NEWS!!! Benson is cashing out.

Raycom will be acquiring WVUE outright for ~$51.8M.

Benson really did do a great job turning around that station. Remember this was a station that Emmis had a difficult time getting anyone to buy it right after Katrina, it was also a 3rd place station with a barebones news operation compared to WWL and WDSU. He invested a lot of time and money into that station to the point that it has ended WWL's dominance in New Orleans.

I have a feeling that Raycom will keep up with the investment and keep the station competitive.

Wonder if this will lead to an affiliation switch. With Benson out, there is no reason for FOX to not go after WGNO and WNOL to create a Fox/MyNet duopoly in an NFC market, meaning ABC would end up on WVUE again.

Wonder if this will lead to an affiliation switch. With Benson out, there is no reason for FOX to not go after WGNO and WNOL to create a Fox/MyNet duopoly in an NFC market, meaning ABC would end up on WVUE again.

Outside being an NFC market, what do WGNO and WNOL bring to the table for Fox? Granted it could be a good throw-in alongside KCPQ/KZJO and WPHL but the work that would be done is near WJZY level.

Outside being an NFC market, what do WGNO and WNOL bring to the table for Fox? Granted it could be a good throw-in alongside KCPQ/KZJO and WPHL but the work that would be done is near WJZY level.

I would think Tribune would be hard-pressed to say no...

You're forgetting that Fox took a minority ownership stake in WVUE's then-owner Savoy back in 1995, which instigated the affiliation switch.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Could Raycom go after the Tribune stations?

I say some of them that Sinclair may have to sell off (possibly entering the Oklahoma City market with the purchase of either the KFOR-KAUT duopoly or the KOKH-KOCB duopoly and a few others)

• 1 month later...

WMC/Memphis debuted a tweaked version of the current Raycom package today. The color they use for the graphics has become a darker blue, but most notably, they've stretched the lower thirds and some other on-screen graphics to take up more of the screen space. This was likely driven by a desire to include more text in the L3s and utilize HD screen area, but personally I think the entire look was cleaner within the safe zone. You can see the new look contrasted with the unchanged weather graphics in one of my photos attached to this post. The other shows the increased room for text on the L3s as well as the fact that the live bug has moved from the top left of the screen to above the time/temp bug. The time/temp bug in particular looks worse now, in my opinion, given the increased empty space and slight squeeze forced on the station's logo.

20170622_180712.thumb.jpg.b51d583833875736fb395ed1dcb6b840.jpg

20170622_122254.thumb.jpg.b3b47f28bbf99d05abaee8ed1891727d.jpg

Archived