FOX 35 getting a brand new set

Hickman360

Those news deck things look like a bad idea. They must be at least partially functional because they actually even put phones in there unlike the FNC ones— how novel. But if I were a line producer, I'd probably want to be in the newsroom where you could talk to the executive producer and assignment desk instead of being all alone in the studio.

It only looks like there are one or two pods. So maybe one is for the stage manager?

If you're talking about KTVU, there's been talk of them getting a new one. When it will happen, I don't know, but my betting money says within a year or so. The current one isn't that old, and they made some changes to it after Fox came in, specifically permanently installing the Bay Area People couch set so that Mornings on 2 could use it.

If you're talking about KTVU, there's been talk of them getting a new one. When it will happen, I don't know, but my betting money says within a year or so. The current one isn't that old, and they made some changes to it after Fox came in, specifically permanently installing the Bay Area People couch set so that Mornings on 2 could use it.

And I don't know if anybody noticed, but KTVU also rebranded their 4:00-7:00 a.m. morning show as Mornings on 2, as before and obviously, KTVU had 2 different brandings for the morning show. That move was probably made under FOX O&O.

If KTVU does remodel, it's not going to have the big words "FOX Bay Area" "FOX KTVU" on its new set for sure. Be on the look out for the laser 2's. Viewers already won about KTVU dropping the FOX 2 bug and converting back to the laser 2 and rotating it.

If KTVU does remodel, it's not going to have the big words "FOX Bay Area" "FOX KTVU" on its new set for sure. Be on the look out for the laser 2's. Viewers already won about KTVU dropping the FOX 2 bug and converting back to the laser 2 and rotating it.

I don't KTVU should be rotating between the laser 2 and the FOX 2 logo. It should just keep the Laser 2 logo... period.

After all, we all love the Laser 2.

600px-KTVU_2.svg.png

Yeah, they won that battle for now. Eventually, they are going to have to integrate that into their newscast image even if they still called it "Channel 2 News" versus "FOX2 Bay Area News" ala what WBZ, WJZ, WCCO, KPIX, and KDKA does with being a CBS O&O.

"KTVU Channel 2, The Bay Area's Home for Fox"

Could that work?

Highly doubtful. All Fox O&Os are branded as "Fox ##."

Fox is probably the least tolerant of the networks towards any violations of mandated on-air station branding (WSVN being the obvious lone exception). Heck, Fox pioneered the concept of network-first branding among the affiliates right from the start of the network in 1986 when they took over the Metromedia group.

But it's kinda hard not to notice the slow phasing out of the current standard FNC-esque logo design for the O&Os. The lack of said "Fox 35 News" logo on the new Fox 35 set speaks volumes. In that case, the Laser 2 may just survive after all.

Highly doubtful. All Fox O&Os are branded as "Fox ##."

Fox is probably the least tolerant of the networks towards any violations of mandated on-air station branding (WSVN being the obvious lone exception). Heck, Fox pioneered the concept of network-first branding among the affiliates right from the start of the network in 1986 when they took over the Metromedia group.

But it's kinda hard not to notice the slow phasing out of the current standard FNC-esque logo design for the O&Os. The lack of said "Fox 35 News" logo on the new Fox 35 set speaks volumes. In that case, the Laser 2 may just survive after all.

Fox tried branding KTVU as "Fox 2" and it failed so miserably that KTVU reverted to the "KTVU Channel 2" branding. I know that Fox isn't as hands-off about branding as say, CBS, but if KTVU keeps it's "Channel 2" branding then the affiliate base might mutiny and (rightfully) ask why they have to brand as "Fox #" or "Fox (City)" when one of the Fox-owned stations tries to shy away from Fox branding.

Fox tried branding KTVU as "Fox 2" and it failed so miserably that KTVU reverted to the "KTVU Channel 2" branding.

This is not true, and there's no evidence to say that the branding has "failed miserably." Every reference now is KTVU Fox 2 or KTVU Fox 2 News. Occasionally, you'll hear just KTVU for short, but even Tommy Vacar is signing off his reports correctly. Only unless if you're referring to the branding changes 15 years ago would it be accurate to say that the Fox branding was ever dropped, and even then, that was so long ago and under different conditions.

With that said, there does seem to be some confusion and back-tracking at least in terms of logos. The FNC style logo now only appears in the opens and iOS icon. Almost everywhere else was the Fox branding replaced with just the laser 2 or the gentler Fox 2 lockup. And for me, the biggest battle was already won by having the laser 2 stay. That was the most important and arguably the only important branding decision Fox had to make. It would have been very, very stupid to drop that, and I think everything else is a fair compromise with the Fox branding.

Archived