Brian Williams Admits to Telling False Story

NYNewser_676

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hero-worship in this country has been out of control for a long time. People embellish to make themselves seem more important, more daring, because as we've seen, people love a hero.

This may not cost Williams his job tomorrow, but it will eventually. Two years elapsed between the Killian documents redaction and Dan Rather's "retirement" from CBS Evening News.

I think it's less that and more of a professional courtesy. Plus, they don't want to appear as though they're intentionally taking advantage of their opponent's struggle. Viewers catch on to that quickly and hate it.

I really don't see him being suspended and would be shocked if he is ousted. He's not some correspondent; he is the face of the NBC News enterprise, and I think most people probably still view him positively. If they suspended him, they'd draw even more attention to this, and if he was ousted, it'd be Ann Curry all over again x100.

This is nothing like the Ann Curry incident. Unlike Ann, he kinda did this to himself. He would be leaving because of his actions. At the end of the day NBC News is a business and if the pressure gets to them, actions will be taken place. Like I stated before, NBC thought that this issue wouldn't have been as big as it is. With all of the cable outlets and entertainment shows discussing this calling him a liar then people who are not really watching an evening broadcast are taking there word and bashing him. I feel sorry for him but at the same time, I don't. I understand sometimes you can be caught up in a story but just make sure its correct even if it is boring, at least you will be telling the truth.

Speaking of Ann, it's too bad she left. In my opinion, if she was still at NBC News, she would be perfect. She has the anchor skills to solo NN, she is serious and she would be the only female evening anchor.

The only thing is, and this goes if anyone but Lester gets the job, they will need to find a way to give Lester a bigger role. He will bounce if they don't give him NN or some promotion. Honestly, if they don't go with Lester, they should do exactly what they did with George and David. Lester could be Chief Anchor and Peter or whomever could anchor NN weekdays.

Here is what I have to say on the situation:

What Brian Williams did in the main framework of things was embellish the story. I have also stated that in this case it is not hero-worship but something that people do and that what the actual story was, grows into something based on mythology (I am using BBC World Service lingo here). As a veteran, a lot of stories that we tell from the battlefield at times do get embellished (not a lot, but some).

However, in the case of Brian Williams, it is more of the case where anything and everything that is said will be viewed under a microscope because of the Social Media Era. But, most stories are put under this intense scrutiny for a few days (a week or two at most) because most of society does not have a long attention span or a longer memory. It has been stated that the incident is "under investigation"

I think for Brian, it is going to be a suspension (which will more just to have some time off to cool the jets). I think that is fair. Anything beyond a suspension, however, is unfair. Somebody on the BBC World Service Newsroom (I think a former war correspondent) said this:

"You don't just forget about how you got shot at. But it seems that this happens only to anchors and/or reporters that are not there full time in the middle of the fight, but are only there for a forty-eight to seventy-two hour period. So, although it is of no excuse, it could possibly happen that somebody that was only there for such a short amount of time could forget and/or exaggerate the memory"

Granted, that is a paraphrase from what I heard this afternoon.

Something else that was stated in the BBC talks about the Double-Standard. This comes from the Atlantic's David Frum {from news story at BBC News here}

"In media, plagiarism and fabulism are strictly forbidden if you are under 30 and not very well known," he tweets. "Otherwise, it's a speeding ticket."

Something that is itnerestingly brought up is that there seems to be a double standard.

The other part of this is that Brian Williams is the Executive Editor of NBC News. Maybe the solution for NBC News is to suspend him and then strip him only of his Executive Editorship and hand that off to someone else.

It is a compromise of sorts, but it keeps Brian Williams @ NBC News (maybe move him down to Weekends sadly) and promote Lester Holt

I'm starting to think nothing will happen unless the affiliate board starts revolting like they did with Jay Leno. I don't think the stations will demand anything until their is a dramatic shift in the ratings.

Has your local station addressed/ reported on this issue? Here in Baltimore I haven't seen any mention of it on WBAL in any of their afternoon / evening newscasts. I channeled surfed between ABC, CBS and Fox during the 11PM newscast and WJZ was the only one to mention this station.

They Should! If a Fox anchor screwed up, everyone would talk about it, so why can't hold themselves accountable? If they aren't, they are covering him up - which this discussion should go into an Ethics thread/board.

I know its sweeps month, but at this point ratings should be the last thing on their minds...It would be in their best interest to quietly suspend him for the month just like they did with Dr. Nancy...Have Lester fill in and see where things go...I would be shocked if he were to resign...Nor do I think he should...The reason I don't think he should resign or be fire (and I'm not defending what he did) is because this was a personal story, not a story that he lied about that affects any Americans...Only a story that effects him and his credibility...Bottom line is if this is all that's to it, by Monday we'll be talking about the Grammys, if not NBC and Brian will have to do something about this...But I definitely think regardless of where the news cycle ends up by next week its in their best interest to quietly suspend him and see where things go.

I know its sweeps month, but at this point ratings should be the last thing on their minds...It would be in their best interest to quietly suspend him for the month just like they did with Dr. Nancy...Have Lester fill in and see where things go...I would be shocked if he were to resign...Nor do I think he should...The reason I don't think he should resign or be fire (and I'm not defending what he did) is because this was a personal story, not a story that he lied about that affects any Americans...Only a story that effects him and his credibility...Bottom line is if this is all that's to it, by Monday we'll be talking about the Grammys, if not NBC and Brian will have to do something about this...But I definitely think regardless of where the news cycle ends up by next week its in their best interest to quietly suspend him and see where things go.

I can't believe you (or others who are like nothing-to-see-here) are so naive - lying over and over and over stretching the truth? The Katrina and the the other event is what we know now, we don't even know what other stories he stretched like cotton candy!

This is nothing like the Ann Curry incident. Unlike Ann, he kinda did this to himself. He would be leaving because of his actions.

The viewership won't perceive it that way. Plain and simple. There are too many people who like him whether he made an error or not, and they would be outraged (i.e. stop watching) if he left the show. Keep in mind there is often a disconnect between news critics/media reporters and the people who actually watch the news. If Williams leaves the show, sure, all the pundits and watchdogs would celebrate, but a large number of people who actually watch the show and don't pay attention to what is going on behind the scenes would be upset and probably defect to ABC or CBS.

Excuse me but did I say their is nothing to see here...I said they should defiantly suspend him and see where things go as in if more comes about than more drastic measures should be taken also if you actually are capable of reading what I posted I said I'm not defending him and I'm not saying there is nothing to see here...But he is the face of the news division and I'm just being realistic as to what I think should happen...If more comes about maybe he should be fired...I'm just speaking from the P.O.V of a news executive and what they would do in this case.

There are 6 kinds of people...

1. People who didn't watch before, and might watch now to see the "accident in progress", so to speak (easily the smallest faction).
  2. People who didn't watch before, and sure as hell won't watch now (the most vocal group).
  3. People who watched, but now won't because of the situation.
  4. People who watch primarily because of Brian, no matter what.
  5. Creatures of habit. "This is what's on, what he did was bad, but whatever."
  6. People who didn't like Brian, and would be willing to check out a new face.

Through this whole ordeal, the reputation of 'Nightly News' has been tarnished, for sure, and that third group I mentioned will be turned off for awhile (forever's a long time), no matter who the anchor is. And, that is unfortunate for a new anchor, should things with Williams fall further into oblivion. Should he be removed, you also turn off the fourth group, and likely the first, as well (he's gone, what's there to see?). Really, NBC better hope and pray that the fifth group is the overwhelming majority, and if things get worse, that that 6 group might balance the loss of the BriWi fans.

There are 5 kinds of people...

1. People who didn't watch before, and might watch now to see the "accident in progress", so to speak (easily the smallest faction).
  2. People who didn't watch before, and sure as hell won't watch now (the most vocal group).
  3. People who watched, but now won't because of the situation.
  4. People who watch primarily because of Brian, no matter what.
  5. Creatures of habit. "This is what's on, what he did was bad, but whatever."
  6. People who didn't like Brian, and would be willing to check out a new face.

Through this whole ordeal, the reputation of 'Nightly News' has been tarnished, for sure, and that third group I mentioned will be turned off for awhile (forever's a long time), no matter who the anchor is. And, that is unfortunate for a new anchor, should things with Williams fall further into oblivion. Should he be removed, you also turn off the fourth group, and likely the first, as well (he's gone, what's there to see?). Really, NBC better hope and pray that the fifth group is the overwhelming majority, and if things get worse, that that 6 group might balance the loss of the BriWi fans.

Apparently there are 6 ;)

That said, I agree with you statement wholeheartedly.

I thought I smelled white toast burning...

I can only see two options now...

1. He takes a week or two off, does an apologetic, mea culpa interview on the Today Show, and then returns to Nightly News.

2. After a few days off, he resigns from the network.

And this just in....

http://www.mediaite.com/online/brian-williams-announces-brief-hiatus-from-nbc-nightly-news/

"Brian Williams announced in an email to NBC News, obtained by Mediaite, that he will be stepping away from the NBC Nightly News desk for a while."

'NBC Nightly News w/ Lester Holt' anyone?

The viewership won't perceive it that way. Plain and simple. There are too many people who like him whether he made an error or not, and they would be outraged (i.e. stop watching) if he left the show. Keep in mind there is often a disconnect between news critics/media reporters and the people who actually watch the news. If Williams leaves the show, sure, all the pundits and watchdogs would celebrate, but a large number of people who actually watch the show and don't pay attention to what is going on behind the scenes would be upset and probably defect to ABC or CBS.

I get what you are saying but at the same time him being let go or resigning would be different. Ann was fired because they blamed her for losing 1st place but it were more people at helm on the program. If ratings fall it would be because of him. I know a lot of people love him, including myself. But wrong is wrong. I been in the business a while now and it's very cutthroat, even if they like you because its your job or mines so quite easily I'm going to try and get you before they get me. But if he is let go which at this point is slim but a possibility, I think both him and the show will bounce back. Hopefully people will forgive him but I think it is NBC best interest to let him take some time off. This is also a lesson to every other journalist out there. Just be careful what you say.

You know when a coverup happens is when they dump a story on a weekend (or a Friday afternoon.)

NBC clearly knew this guy was an actor and I'm disappointed they had to act out the disciplinary action. It's 2015, the first strike should be a F-you. There is no such thing as 3 strikes and you're out.

Okay it is quite clear at this point that cbs2newengland is extremely anti-Brian Williams, and looking at the fact that this person attempts to use this situation as cover for spreading his dislike of Williams' anchoring style and talent. To his last comment regarding "three strikes," everyone makes mistakes. Regardless of whether or not Williams intentionally told a false story, it is still a mistake. And considering this is really the first major blunder of his career, America is quite capable of giving him a second chance. And to the aforementioned commenter, I don't know what your issue is with Brian Williams, but you are not contributing to a meaningful discussion. If I wanted to see comments like yours calling for the most extreme solution, firing or resignation, without any support for your theory, I would search "Brian Williams" in Twitter and get a good laugh.

"cbs2newengland" obviously has had his mind made up and wants Brian Williams fired...That's fine his opinion...but don't start in with me and call me and others on this website "Naive" because you don't agree with the open minded non biased discussion we are all having on this issue...This is why a lot of people on this site don't like you...You have absolutely nothing of substance to add other than what you think you know which isn't a lot...I've been in this business since 1988, started as an intern at CBS radio here in ny in 1986...who is he to say "I look back at Brian Williams, and I don't think he was in the same class as Brokaw, Brinkly, Chancellor" ...I wouldn't even say that!...Again nothing of substance to add to this conversation...

You know when a coverup happens is when they dump a story on a weekend (or a Friday afternoon.)

NBC clearly knew this guy was an actor and I'm disappointed they had to act out the disciplinary action. It's 2015, the first strike should be a F-you. There is no such thing as 3 strikes and you're out.

Also I thought we speak English on this site...Can anyone even interpret his point...The only point I see is on top of his head!

Okay it is quite clear at this point that cbs2newengland is extremely anti-Brian Williams, and looking at the fact that this person attempts to use this situation as cover for spreading his dislike of Williams' anchoring style and talent. To his last comment regarding "three strikes," everyone makes mistakes. Regardless of whether or not Williams intentionally told a false story, it is still a mistake. And considering this is really the first major blunder of his career, America is quite capable of giving him a second chance. And to the aforementioned commenter, I don't know what your issue is with Brian Williams, but you are not contributing to a meaningful discussion. If I wanted to see comments like yours calling for the most extreme solution, firing or resignation, without any support for your theory, I would search "Brian Williams" in Twitter and get a good laugh.

I'm not "anti-Brian Williams" and definitely not "extremely" ether. Because you disagree with what I have to say, meanwhile I have to praise you for your views - is the problem.

Today one eff-up is one too many, the three strikes system has been thrown out of the window years ago. When you can't remember a life changing event, and allegedly stretch the truth out, that's dishonest reporting. You can believe in whatever you want to believe in. I respect your views, please respect mine.

Also I thought we speak English on this site...Can anyone even interpret his point...The only point I see is on top of his head!

What do I mean? I mean you make a mistake of that level, you should be fired. No second or third chances. Is that pretty English enough?

"cbs2newengland" obviously has had his mind made up and wants Brian Williams fired...That's fine his opinion...but don't start in with me and call me and others on this website "Naive" because you don't agree with the open minded non biased discussion we are all having on this issue...This is why a lot of people on this site don't like you...You have absolutely nothing of substance to add other than what you think you know which isn't a lot...I've been in this business since 1988, started as an intern at CBS radio here in ny in 1986...who is he to say "I look back at Brian Williams, and I don't think he was in the same class as Brokaw, Brinkly, Chancellor" ...I wouldn't even say that!...Again nothing of substance to add to this conversation...

Also if people want to think I am a jerk or anything else, that's fine with me. If people dislike me ("strongly" in your words pls back that up via PM - I'm interested) on this site, then so be it, I still love them back. In fact being in the business since 1988 would actually give you a bias. So I think YOU are on top of YOUR head.

I dislike Williams professionally because he's a fake person and destroyed the remaining credibility of NBC "News". They have had no substantial reporting since I was very young. Its mostly self promotions from the entertainment division and Williams gets the OK to appear on the entertainment division, which I find highly inappropriate. Want substance, well you got it. That's all I have, its nothing else, just an incompetent anchor that should've been fired or not hired to begin with long time ago. That's all.

Im not defending Brian Williams, I think he should be at least suspended, however you called Brian Williams an "actor" and a "phony" ...and went after me and others when we said he shouldn't be fired "yet"... So yes you are anti Brian Williams and also can't stand other people's opinions.

Archived