Brian Williams Admits to Telling False Story

NYNewser_676

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm...could this be the big break David Muir has been waiting for all his career???

GMA has been #1 in the morning, and within weeks, World News could once again be #1 in the evening. Just wait till the promos hit...

(Then again, here in Atlanta, World News at 7:00 pm on WSB has been steamrolling everybody -- especially Family Feud on WUPA -- in the ratings)

In my opinion though there are plenty of stories to forge and make up. People will get pissed and voice their opinions but eventually move on.. Even if credability is lost.. But as most Americans would agree lying about being at war or anything to do with it is unforgiving. If NBC doesn't take action they will be affected.

In regards to this very surprising story (and now stories) about Brian Williams lying to the public, my guess would be that he is not fired. And like others have said, this couldn't have come at a worst time (I mean, February sweeps of all things?) I think he should at least be suspended though, even if its just for a week or two. Yes, in my honest opinion, he deserves to be suspended much longer, but with the ratings book starting now, he really can't be.

And yes, I'm sure this will be great news for ABC. Still surprised Scott Pelley hasn't been able to lure more viewers in. Maybe some "Nightly" viewers will switch to CBS instead of ABC (just saying this because NBC is a more serious approach at international news than ABC, which is more involved in lifestyle segments, and CBS won't be that much of a drastic difference to "Nightly News".). I'm probably over-analyzing this whole thing, but these incidents are not good news for Brian's future. Will he get a long period of suspension after the ratings book? By then, it may be passed the point.

Overall, I still think he deserves at the very least a suspension.

I wouldn't be surprised if BriWi resigned, Savannah replaced him and Hoda or Tamron took over on "Today." BriWi could move on to PBS, Discovery, NatGeo or a company online who wants to expand in video. The other option would be for NBC to shift BriWi to a Diane Sawyer-type of position at NBC rather than quick him off entirely.

Lester Holt would be the most obvious choice to replace BriWi but he may not be a long-term option especially with Muir catching up with NBC. We also know all too well that network execs think like Pete Carroll and don't make the obvious decisions necessary.

The Katrina/Iraq incidents look really bad but as long as nothing else is found and there are no other discrepencies, I don't think BriWi will leave permanently. He'll probably take a leave of absence.

The only two people I could see replacing him would be Lester or Savannah. That's literally it.

They won't take Savannah from Today. Instability is definitely what the Today show does not need. If they take someone from the Today Show, I think Natalie would be more likely. Too bad they released Ann from her contract.

I look back at Brian Williams, and I don't think he was in the same class as Brokaw, Brinkley, Chancellor. I don't want to be crass, but I wonder what NBC execs were on when he was at WCBS. What made him so special for the NBC people to be gawking at the Channel 2 monitor to then capture him and then raise the pedestal to then 22 years later get knocked off, when he should've been gone decades ago. The guy even lied about (Hurricane) Katrina's living conditions!

He's an excellent journalist and widely considered to be this generation's Brokaw/Jennings ... Don't use this incident as a basis to criticize the very existence of his career and infer that he has little talent. Because the fact of the matter is that he is at the helm of the top evening news program in America. This incident could very well cost him his career, but don't act as if his accomplishments and talent don't exist.

He's an excellent journalist and widely considered to be this generation's Brokaw/Jennings ... Don't use this incident as a basis to criticize the very existence of his career and infer that he has little talent. Because the fact of the matter is that he is at the helm of the top evening news program in America. This incident could very well cost him his career, but don't act as if his accomplishments and talent don't exist.

The problem with that is that when something like this happens then 100% of his career goes under a microscope for further inspection to see how systemic this really was. If he's a known embellisher his career accomplishments will suddenly mean a lot less.

I think we can look at his whole career based on this.. He's a journalist, supposed to give us the truth, not some fabricated story to make him sound better.. A COMPLETE lie. What else did he lie about? It's not like he got caught drunk driving. Is that a bad example? Yes. But not career ending or shattering in this case.

I was mainly referring to the commenter that questioned why he was hired in the first place... It is undeniable that he has talent and connects with viewers. Criticize his ethics or whatever you want. But don't criticize his skill for reporting and style of anchoring under the guise of tying it into this incident.

I was mainly referring to the commenter that questioned why he was hired in the first place... It is undeniable that he has talent and connects with viewers. Criticize his ethics or whatever you want. But don't criticize his skill for reporting and style of anchoring under the guise of tying it into this incident.

But if his skill for reporting and anchoring relies on making stuff up or exaggerating then he's a better liar than a journalist and that takes an entirely different set of skills. It's not nearly as easy as you think to just separate them.... They are intrinsically related.

I'm betting he gets canned soon and ends up like a certain CBS anchor.

It definitely is a fish story but I hope he doesn't get fired. Someone mentioned that ABC and CBS didn't make any mention of this which makes me wonder if they are afraid of calling the pot calling the kettle black.

I think it's less that and more of a professional courtesy. Plus, they don't want to appear as though they're intentionally taking advantage of their opponent's struggle. Viewers catch on to that quickly and hate it.

A lot of people are really vocal about this. Many believe he should be fired or resign. I feel like he should be suspended for a while like how they did Dr. Nancy Snyderman. But not immediately fired. The cable news outlets are eating this up so who knows what's going to happen. Time will tell.

I really don't see him being suspended and would be shocked if he is ousted. He's not some correspondent; he is the face of the NBC News enterprise, and I think most people probably still view him positively. If they suspended him, they'd draw even more attention to this, and if he was ousted, it'd be Ann Curry all over again x100.

You know, I can't help but wonder if he did more harm than good for himself by making that mea culpa on air. I know it was the right thing to do (in principle, at least -- his apology could have been more direct), but from the perspective of his own self-interest and the interest of NBC News, I wonder if this whole thing would have blown over had he not given it air time on Wednesday night. On the other hand, it may very well be that people would have eventually caught wind of the vets who have been disputing his story. I guess we'll never know.

Unfortunately, we most likely have not seen the worst of this. With people now scouring his career for similar exaggerations, more questionable reports and "mudslinging" is probably going to occur in the coming week. I think Brian and NBC were counting on this fizzling out by this time already, and now they are in a position where the only reports being made about this story is by outside press. If it continues even over the next seven days, we will reach a point where it is impossible for him to do his job effectively. A Variety survey of 1,000 Nightly News viewers who have been following the incident showed 80% believe he should resign. Unfortunately, NBC let this go too long without a statement from brass, and it's spiraling out of control.

I'm starting to think nothing will happen unless the affiliate board starts revolting like they did with Jay Leno. I don't think the stations will demand anything until their is a dramatic shift in the ratings.

Has your local station addressed/ reported on this issue? Here in Baltimore I haven't seen any mention of it on WBAL in any of their afternoon / evening newscasts. I channeled surfed between ABC, CBS and Fox during the 11PM newscast and WJZ was the only one to mention this station.

I'm starting to think nothing will happen unless the affiliate board starts revolting like they did with Jay Leno. I don't think the stations will demand anything until their is a dramatic shift in the ratings.

Has your local station addressed/ reported on this issue? Here in Baltimore I haven't seen any mention of it on WBAL in any of their afternoon / evening newscasts. I channeled surfed between ABC, CBS and Fox during the 11PM newscast and WJZ was the only one to mention this station.

Nothing here in Detroit that I have seen.

Archived