Brian Williams Admits to Telling False Story

NYNewser_676

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I usually watch Scott Pelley and the Evening News but, because he's the face of the division, this is going to be an even bigger black eye for NBC News (or even the entire network/company) than the Ann Curry/Today fiasco of 2012. And it's still recovering from that.

I mean, even if he was on the aircraft still, he still fabricated the story at that time. And he must be kicking himself for doing so, especially on-air.

I'm sorry, how do you mistake whether you were in a aircraft being fired at or in an aircraft following that one. I just don't see it.

It just doesn't seem plausible that he would be confused on whether he was on the aircraft. Shocked that he kept the lie going for 12 years.

Well, he did not keep it going for 12 years. When he first reported it on NBC Nightly News, he reported it accurately.

What I think happened - and is certainly plausible - is that he told the story so many times and each time slightly dramatized a new little detail. We all do that because we all like to tell stories in which we are a little bit the hero. He didn't realize how inaccurate his new story had become compared to the original chain of events.

That doesn't exonerate Brian Williams completely. It's still a serious error. But given that it only happened once while he has been a public figure for over two decades, I think we should be forgiving.

Given his past hosting stint on SNL (2007, just before the writers strike) that is certainly plausible.

Never understood why he would even do SNL. He's a trusted news figure, who people turn to for news, not comedy. Nonetheless, while he may lose some viewers, I do imagine most will forgive him, so long as he doesn't do something like this again.

Never understood why he would even do SNL. He's a trusted news figure, who people turn to for news, not comedy. Nonetheless, while he may lose some viewers, I do imagine most will forgive him, so long as he doesn't do something like this again.

The news is simply infotainment at best anyways... So why not?

Well, he did not keep it going for 12 years. When he first reported it on NBC Nightly News, he reported it accurately.

What I think happened - and is certainly plausible - is that he told the story so many times and each time slightly dramatized a new little detail. We all do that because we all like to tell stories in which we are a little bit the hero. He didn't realize how inaccurate his new story had become compared to the original chain of events.

That doesn't exonerate Brian Williams completely. It's still a serious error. But given that it only happened once while he has been a public figure for over two decades, I think we should be forgiving.

It definitely is a fish story but I hope he doesn't get fired. Someone mentioned that ABC and CBS didn't make any mention of this which makes me wonder if they are afraid of calling the pot calling the kettle black.

A lot of people are really vocal about this. Many believe he should be fired or resign. I feel like he should be suspended for a while like how they did Dr. Nancy Snyderman. But not immediately fired. The cable news outlets are eating this up so who knows what's going to happen. Time will tell.

Stepping aside for awhile would definitely be in both BriWi's and NBC's best interest, except, for better or worse, sweeps complicates things. I also don't see him getting fired. Look at the Dan Rather fiasco at CBS. He dragged a president's name through the ground, and had a history of pissing off those around him. They were praying for the opportunity to dump him. In Brilliams' case, the only personal damage being done is to himself, and he seems to have a clean record within the news division outside of this incident. Unlike Rather, Brilly Willy's also in first place.

My guess is he'll probably take time off for however long it takes for this thing to die down (probably the rest of the month) then come back, maybe do a mea culpa interview then go on as if nothing ever happened.

My guess is he'll probably take time off for however long it takes for this thing to die down (probably the rest of the month) then come back, maybe do a mea culpa interview then go on as if nothing ever happened.

It's sweeps month, even with this bad press NBC isn't going to do that...also the pilot of the helicopter Brian was in is now saying it did take on fire... http://www.mediaite.com/tv/pilot-tells-jake-tapper-brian-williams-helicopter-did-take-fire/

I don't want to be mean spirited but isn't weird that his previous employer was Channel 2's noon and 4:00 anchor (medioker at best), and how suddenly he became a rising star in NBC News in rather short time? He got an MSNBC show on the spot and within 9 years he was named to succeed Tom Brokaw's role on NN? And at the time of this story he made up - he wasn't even the principal anchor yet!

I do think his creditability has been severely tarnished. I don't understand why he felt the need to make up something like that. As Joe Concca said on FBN's Money with Melissa Francis, its like being a virgin, you would know when that event happened and you'd never forget it. And others described if it was so life changing, you wouldn't mis remember. It wasn't like he crashed and got amnesia and short or long term memory loss.

I personally do not think Brian will be fired over this.

That said, if he somehow is fired, I think it is fair to say it is Lester's seat. I personally am not a huge fan of Lester's. He is good but I'd rather see Natalie, Kate Snow or Harry Smith take over.

I really didn't think he would be fired at first, but now I'm starting to change my mind. There is a pretty huge social media firestorm calling for his head, and I think this whole story would color the rest of his career in a very negative way. I'm a little uncertain as to how he can remain the face of NBC News after all of this. I'm afraid he's in some serious trouble.

I really didn't think he would be fired at first, but now I'm starting to change my mind. There is a pretty huge social media firestorm calling for his head, and I think this whole story would color the rest of his career in a very negative way. I'm a little uncertain as to how he can remain the face of NBC News after all of this. I'm afraid he's in some serious trouble.

I think NBC thought this would blow over but all the entertainment outlets been discussing the stories even TMZ. So people who really don't watch the news got an opinion of him. And social media isn't any better. I saw him tonight on the news and you can tell that this is bothering him. His delivery was a bit off. Even if NBC doesn't want to, he needs to be suspended. No question about it. Just because he the face of NBC number one evening show, when someone else even a regular Joe does something not right, they get reprimanded so the same case applies to him also. I feel bad for him but he did something less than smart. Hopefully he can bounce back but he need some time off. Let Lester sub for at least 4-6 weeks then have him comeback and start over.

Now a New Orleans alternative paper is putting another Brian Williams story - this one about Katrina - to the test.

Brian Steinberg also drops a major bombshell in the tenth paragraph of this Variety piece (a claim that is, as of this moment, disputed; so take it for what it's worth).

And Tom Brokaw (allegedly?) knew for years that this story was bunk... now he wants Brian fired!

And it goes on and on.

I still find it hard to believe that NBC will outright fire Brian, and this couldn't be a worse time to do so. But the hellstorm both Brian and NBC are catching from all sides - even the Huffington Post! - is astounding.

Archived