Brian Williams Admits to Telling False Story

NYNewser_676

ABC came just 11k viewers from beating NN in total viewers last week.

http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/evening-news-ratings-week-of-march-9-2/258402

See below:

[*]http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/evening-news-ratings-week-of-march-9-2/258402 - the latest ratings, ABC wins demo, and is the closest it's been in 5 years in total viewers (11,000 difference!)

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That article really exposed NBC News' diseased guts; nobody there knows what to do anymore. I half expect different departments to start being inter-office gangs. We're kinda lucky that the turmoil hasn't spread to MSNBC; CNBC's over in Engelwood Cliffs, and The Weather Channel is in Atlanta, so they're safe, for the moment...

Umm yeah about that. MSNBC has been a shitshow for awhile now starting all the way back to Keith Olbermann and now they can't even beat HLN half the time and The Weather Channel is so much of a joke these days that the late Dr. John Hope is doing somersaults in his grave. Retrans pissing match after retrans pissing match, reality shows and docudramas taking up almost 50% of programming sometimes and letting Cantore run amok and become a cartoon of himself. CNBC is probably the only (relatively speaking) stable property of the three you mentioned now.

Umm yeah about that. MSNBC has been a shitshow for awhile now starting all the way back to Keith Olbermann and now they can't even beat HLN half the time and The Weather Channel is so much of a joke these days that the late Dr. John Hope is doing somersaults in his grave. Retrans pissing match after retrans pissing match, reality shows and docudramas taking up almost 50% of programming sometimes and letting Cantore run amok and become a cartoon of himself. CNBC is probably the only (relatively speaking) stable property of the three you mentioned now.

Don't hold back... Tell us how you really feel...

Every network/station has its dirty laundry. It just so happens that this time around, it's NBC's turn to get their dirty laundry aired. Hell, just a few weeks/months ago the newspapers/magazines/gossip websites were all over the problems at The View. So it's really not that surprising that stuff like this would happen/get exposed.

At this point I say they should can him at the end of his suspension. Give Lester the permanent weekday gig. He's obviously shown his dedication to the job (even working ten straight days at one point, some of which was two different shifts). Peter Alexander seems to beholding down weekend NN just fine.

I agree, and Brian Stelter has reported that NBC staffers were very pleased with Lester's performance in the ratings. Now, those will change, and NN may even fall behind WNT, but the point is that Lester is very well-liked internally. I think they should just stick with him permanently; he has the best shot at winning back the credibility and prestige that NN so desperately needs right now.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/03/13/media/lester-holt-brian-williams-nbc/

And now it looks like Nightly's recent ratings success might come with an asterisk, thanks to insomniac viewership...

http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2015/03/nbcs-nightly-news-gets-a-boost-from-rebroadcasts-204194.html

I'm not gonna say that's not fair, because it doesn't matter if it is or not. I am interested however in how ABC and CBS will respond. They can't just sit there and let this happen, they need to start doing the same.

You're right. It's neither fair, nor unfair, just a loophole that they MIGHT be exploiting...sneakiness at it's best. I would not be shocked, though, if something like that is enough to sway the numbers, particularly in the younger demo. Yes, you could ask why any young person would watch NN at 2am, but the same could be asked of older viewers, as well.

You're right. It's neither fair, nor unfair, just a loophole that they MIGHT be exploiting...sneakiness at it's best. I would not be shocked, though, if something like that is enough to sway the numbers, particularly in the younger demo. Yes, you could ask why any young person would watch NN at 2am, but the same could be asked of older viewers, as well.

As mentioned, last week the total viewer gap between ABC and NBC was 11k. I have to wonder and expect that the late night rebroadcasts saved them.

And now it looks like Nightly's recent ratings success might come with an asterisk, thanks to insomniac viewership...

http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2015/03/nbcs-nightly-news-gets-a-boost-from-rebroadcasts-204194.html

One thing worth noting that the markets that are mentioned are all Gannett stations (KING,KUSA,KARE and WXIA). I wouldn't be surprised if their remaining markets are airing NN.

One thing worth noting that the markets that are mentioned are all Gannett stations (KING,KUSA,KARE and WXIA). I wouldn't be surprised if their remaining markets are airing NN.

YES to Portland, OR and KGW. NO to Portland, ME/Bangor, ME on WCSH and WLBZ.

Also NO to KTVB in Boise and NO to WTLV in Jacksonville. I guess it just depends on the market size.

Gannett is cozi (pun intended) with NBC, so I smell something fishy. Does anyone know if these stations rebroadcasted NN before Williams' incident?

Gannett is cozi (pun intended) with NBC, so I smell something fishy. Does anyone know if these stations rebroadcasted NN before Williams' incident?

From what I have read it seems like the reruns actually started the week he first described the incident. So it seems like it might have been in the works for a while.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know that Brian was taking aim more than he was admitting defeat in this particular battle. If anyone hasn't checked it out, I highly recommend checking out that Variety article. Now that things have had a chance to die down a bit, some of the behind the scenes stuff is becoming clearer, while addressing all the previous rumors.

I hope this is the right thread for this post so here it goes.

In several articles I have read they have mentioned Brian's insecurities of never have been a war correspondent? I looked up the definition and the Oxford dictionary says that it's a journalist reporting from the scene of war. By all senses of the definition he was a war correspondent covering the wind up and the initial stages of the Iraq war for at least several weeks and has periodically returned to the front lines in Iraq and Afghanistan. What he did was noble and courageous (To put it lightly I would rather quit than be embedded). Sure he wasn't there for as long as Christiane Amanpour or Richard Engel but still covered it for at least a month and should be proud that he did it. He should have no feelings of inadequacy because of this. Also we should remember that during he's been with MSNBC and NBC News there have only been two long term wars both of which he covered.

If we want to get technical we could say Rachel Maddow was a war correspondent given the fact she broadcast her show for several days in Afghanistan. There are other that I can not think of right now.

Archived