Brian Williams Admits to Telling False Story

NYNewser_676

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks like the question of who will take Lester Holts spot won't be answered' date=' at least not this weekend... http://money.cnn.com/2015/02/12/media/lester-holt-nbc-news-work/index.html

I don't know how long this is going to last. He need some days off because that's too much. I remember working 13 days straight and that wasn't fun at all so I can imagine how that is going to do that.

If I were Lester, I would've just said no to doing both Today and NN Weekend if NBC execs are going to keep me on TV for a whole week+ straight. Honestly, this is too much for anyone to handle.

According to the CNN article, It was Lester's idea to stay on for the whole week.

According to the CNN article, It was Lester's idea to stay on for the whole week.

Ahh, okay. I will give him credit for taking on such a hefty load of screentime as not to further disrupt the fragile state of NBC News at the moment, and doing so in earnest. So good for him.

I kind of like this logo without the anchor's name.

I do too. Maybe they should think about making it a permanent thing. With the focus being on the brand itself and not the anchor.

So do I. And I agree with Jase about the focus, since a lot of praise has gone to the brand itself more than Brian

Not to "pile on" but if anyone saw this

and saw this phone report from Brian Williams...

well he wasn't there on the scene. Various reports today claim that only Tom Brokaw was the only American reporter during the collapse of the Berlin Wall in Germany. Other than that video, KCBS reports last night:

While speaking at a forum at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library in 2008, an audience membericon1.pngasked Williams what his “wow” interview was or moment in his career.

“What was my wow … I’ve been so fortunate,” he said. “I was at the Brandenburg Gate the night the wall came down.”

What Williams was referring to was the demolition of the Berlin Wall in 1989, but there are now reports that he actually arrived the day after the wall came down.

Williams’ predecessor Tom Brokaw was the only American anchorman to report live from the scene on that historic day.

This guy is toast. I know I might had not been nice, but this guy is a complete fraud. BTW: NBC had no choice but to scrub anything to do with him in the opens, v/o, website, etc. Artworks must had heluva day scrubbing elements left and right.

Not to "pile on" but if anyone saw this

and saw this phone report from Brian Williams...

well he wasn't there on the scene. Various reports today claim that only Tom Brokaw was the only American reporter during the collapse of the Berlin Wall in Germany. Other than that video, KCBS reports last night:

This guy is toast. I know I might had not been nice, but this guy is a complete fraud. BTW: NBC had no choice but to scrub anything to do with him in the opens, v/o, website, etc. Artworks must had heluva day scrubbing elements left and right.

Shouldn't have WCBS known about that?

Shouldn't have WCBS known about that?

you would think, but the problem arose when he started to flaunt his coverage back in 2008 when he made it appear he was there. However there is no stories on this subject on CBS NY's website.

To be fair (since my last response), I'm starting to understand how some reporters "embellish' a story but the problem is that Brian Williams clearly made the tone of the at least 3 of the major stories he lied about that he was there on the scene, like he was part of the story or actually witnessed it. A true journalist would have the smarts to make it appear they were there, but the problem is Brian Williams went to too many of these off network events and continuously got away of stretching the truth.

There is a massive double standard in the network news business which I hope people are waking up to this and understand the problems that will plague NBC News for a long time.

This is far from over.

http://www.ftvlive.com/todays-news/2015/2/13/more-briwi-lies

You know what, people need to calm down and leave Brian alone.

Yes, what he said in his story during the Iraq War was horrible, and he did lie about it, but they are overreacting to the Nth degree. Finding other stories he reported for NBC News and digging deep for the most minor flaws is getting annoying and taking things too far.

Yes, the 6-month suspension was justified in case of the Iraq War fabrication, but people all over the Internet finding everything in all his other reports like they despise him and desperately want him fired is taking things too far.

Makes me want to feel disgusted in the entire American public of the Social Media era and the TV News Websites more than Brian.

Yes, what he said in his story during the Iraq War was horrible, and he did lie about it, but they are overreacting to the Nth degree. Finding other stories he reported for NBC News and digging deep for the most minor flaws is getting annoying and taking things too far.

Yes, the 6-month suspension was justified in case of the Iraq War fabrication, but people all over the Internet finding everything in all his other reports like they despise him and desperately want him fired is taking things too far.

Makes me want to feel disgusted in the entire American public of the Social Media era and the TV News Websites more than Brian.

It wouldn't seem so... people have always tried to find examples where they could of other improprieties. The guy doesn't seem very ethical.

I agree and disagree at the same time. We don't need every single story to come out about him. However, he's a journalist, probably the most well known anchor of this time period, and he LIED multiple times. He has no credibility left. He will not be able to come back. Every word out of his mouth will be questioned at this point, even 6 months from now people will continue to question him especially with more stories coming out.

With all that has happened in a week, we all agreed that ABC and CBS will see ratings increases. In Chicago, that is only really true for the former. Comparing last Thursday to yesterday, 'Nightly News' on WMAQ tanked from a 5.7 to a 3.9, a loss of 1.8. 'World News Tonight', on the other hand, gained almost all of NBC's losses, jumping 1.7, from an 8.2 to a whopping 9.9, putting perennial leader WLS ahead by 210,000 viewers.

http://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/news/2015/02/13/nbcs-nightly-news-falling-in-ratings-in-chicago.html?ana=twt&page=all

I supported Williams when this first came to light but now I'm finding it hard to rationalize these new allegations. It's now coming to the point where people are now just kicking a dead horse. I know there is no way he can ever come back to work at NBC News. I do like him as a person but now it feels like you found out your wife or husband who you've been with for 22 years (time at MSNBC and NBC) has been cheating on you since you were dating (WCBS and earlier). You start to question whether your entire relationship and you don't know if your relationship is real or fake.

I supported Williams when this first came to light but now I'm finding it hard to rationalize these new allegations. It's now coming to the point where people are now just kicking a dead horse. I know there is no way he can ever come back to work at NBC News. I do like him as a person but now it feels like you found out your wife or husband who you've been with for 22 years (time at MSNBC and NBC) has been cheating on you since you were dating (WCBS and earlier). You start to question whether your entire relationship and you don't know if your relationship is real or fake.

Agreed, 100%.

I wanted to show some compassion when the original story broke - especially since his original 2003 report was reported accurately. I wanted to believe that maybe his memory could have played tricks on him over the years. I mean, how many of us can say we have an undeniable perfect memory that never fails us?

But now, the latest reports say that he claimed to travel with elements of SEAL Team Six back in 2003 and was given a piece of the team's downed chopper after the 2011 raid that killed Bin Laden. And none of that is plausible.

It's time for NBC to just release their preliminary findings and say they've decided to part ways with Brian Williams. Let the news division rebuild and win back the trust of viewers.

I agree they should just let him go. They should give Nighty News a new set, graphics and feel. As mentioned keep it NBC Nightly News.. Dont attach a name. Give Lester the position and move on. The longer they let this go the more stories have a chance to come out.. Making it harder for NBC to come back

If I were Lester, I would've just said no to doing both Today and NN Weekend if NBC execs are going to keep me on TV for a whole week+ straight. Honestly, this is too much for anyone to handle.

I agree. At the very least I would stop doing Today. It's incredibly commendable that he's willing to work his ass off with no rest so that NBC has one less thing to worry about (finding a replacement for him), but at the same time, his health needs to come first. I also feel like his #1 priority should be stabilizing Nightly News and restoring some trust to it. Weekend Today can deal without him for a little bit.

Archived