Brian Williams Admits to Telling False Story

NYNewser_676

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did not get to see tonight's show, was it NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt or NBC Nightly News, Reporting Tonight Lester Holt. To me, it seems unfair to take Lester's name off on Nightly News Weekend, since he did absolutely nothing wrong in this situation...

Still titled NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt.

This may have been mentioned already, but it continues: if you look at the top comments on almost any post on the NBC Nightly News page on Facebook, they are almost all demands that NBC bring Brian back. Fascinating how incredibly loyal people often are.

What's hilarious are the number of people on their Facebook page that were calling for Brian's head and demanding that he be fired and saying that they'll never watch NN again when this whole scandal came out were completely replaced by people demanding that he come back immediately and that he's innocent and that they'll never watch NN again the moment his 6-month suspension was announced. It was like night and day over there.

Not looking good for Nightly: http://www.tvnewsinsider.com/25473.

Everyone do yourselves a huge favor and don't read the comments. Never read the comments.

Does social media also constitute "talk radio"? Some shows have had beaten him up.

I've lost respect for Bill O'Reilly's latest attack on "the Internet" like he wrote his talking points on his same DEC 320 terminal he used on Inside Edition. Outdated technology and outdated attack on the wrong subject matter. It's not TCPIP that is destroying Williams, its the people using the Web and abusing its' applications potential to wreck his career, if you believe in his views.

Perfectly put, MidwestTV. The one-eighty astounds me. People are BEYOND fickle.

On a side note, I'm watching the SNL40 red carpet special over here and Matt Lauer & Savannah Guthrie are interviewing Jim Carrey and Tina Fey at the same time. At the end, Jim asks Matt & Savannah where they're hiding Brian Williams! Then he goes something like, "in Brian's defense, if the helicopter in front of me I'm riding in gets hit, I'm taking the story." Matt, Savannah, and especially Tina (basically forever an NBC employee) looked mortified. It was awkward, it was AWWESOME. I love Jim Carrey! HA!

Perfectly put, MidwestTV. The one-eighty astounds me. People are BEYOND fickle.

On a side note, I'm watching the SNL40 red carpet special over here and Matt Lauer & Savannah Guthrie are interviewing Jim Carrey and Tina Fey at the same time. At the end, Jim asks Matt & Savannah where they're hiding Brian Williams! Then he goes something like, "in Brian's defense, if the helicopter in front of me I'm riding in gets hit, I'm taking the story." Matt, Savannah, and especially Tina (basically forever an NBC employee) looked mortified. It was awkward, it was AWWESOME. I love Jim Carrey! HA!

I caught the Jim Carrey thing too. It was funny. They all looked like they could have just died right then and there. I do wonder if Jim was interviewed without Tina if they would have considered cutting his interview out given most (if not all) of the interviews were 'live to tape'. Kudos to them for showing it.

This may have been already discussed here, but what will happen with Lester's role with Weekend Today, Nightly Weekend, and Dateline? Seven days of Lester might be okay for now to stabilize things. However, he has to at least let go of either Weekend Today or Dateline or both. If NBC had not let go of Ann before this happened, she could have slid back to doing Dateline. Plus, there are the correspondents they brought into NBC News when Rock Center started, like Harry Smith and Kate Snow. They could easily relieve Lester's Dateline duties and Weekend Nightly duties. As for Weekend Today, just when it (kind of) looks like the team there was starting to gel, this happens. I really have no thoughts of who they would bring in to co-anchor with Erica.

As a side note, if in the event that Lester has to take the night off with Nightly, would they go to Matt to sub for him? Just a thought.

Aye, I was watching the Today Show this morning; they picked a really bad discussion this morning (PR wise), although it's about lying in relationships, it looks bad for NBC News since the BriWi incident is still in light. I'm not sure when these panels are planned, but if it was made before the incident, then it would make sense and just be a bad coincidence.

http://goput.it/3hc.jpg (sorry for the camera grab, i was in a hurry and don't have a DVR anymore)

Aye, I was watching the Today Show this morning; they picked a really bad discussion this morning (PR wise), although it's about lying in relationships, it looks bad for NBC News since the BriWi incident is still in light. I'm not sure when these panels are planned, but if it was made before the incident, then it would make sense and just be a bad coincidence.

http://goput.it/3hc.jpg (sorry for the camera grab, i was in a hurry and don't have a DVR anymore)

Given that it's obvious marriage is the topic it's only folks who already aren't watching that would care. If those rings were the NBC peacock we might have something...

WOW, as a Lester fan, this is wonderful news! And surprising, given the viewer backlash on social media. But then again, see how fickle people are?! So I really shouldn't be surprised by this. But I am excited! Looks like NBC isn't skipping a beat (since ABC had already been gaining on 'em). And speaking of that, I don't get it. Why would David Muir, the new guy, be pulling in bigger numbers than Diane Sawyer, the news star? If anything, I thought ABC's ratings would suffer when she left. I mean it's not like he changed the 'GMA Tonight' thing all that much. So what is it, his coif? 'Cause I don't think anyone can compete with that! ;)

I like the fact that the two broadcasts are neck and neck, as it forces both to be on their toes. It seems like 'WNT' does better in the ratings when the news cycle is heavier, forcing them to cut back on the lighter stuff, while NBC has been given a reality check knowing that they can't just assume first place is automatic.

Aye' date=' I was watching the Today Show this morning; they picked a [b']really bad[/b] discussion this morning (PR wise), although it's about lying in relationships, it looks bad for NBC News since the BriWi incident is still in light. I'm not sure when these panels are planned, but if it was made before the incident, then it would make sense and just be a bad coincidence.

When these allegations first came to light some people thought that this is a case of stolen valor which is funny considering the today show aired an investigation on that topic last week.

I personally don't think of this as a case of stolen valor. It seems to me that this was more of a fish tale that grew out of hand to make himself look good.

• 3 weeks later...

A month and a half later, and this story is still in the news (albeit not as much).

A bunch of stories, none of which are positive for Brian:

I was not quick to jump on the "don't come back" bandwagon, and I've liked Brian since his days on MSNBC on the "The News with Brian Williams", but all this is becoming too much. My opinion first soured on him when he hosted "Saturday Night Live". Apparently he also snubbed emceeing a Medal of Honor event to appear on "Weekend Update" on SNL. Seems like he doesn't have his priorities in place. You're either a comedian or a news anchor.

At this point I say they should can him at the end of his suspension. Give Lester the permanent weekday gig. He's obviously shown his dedication to the job (even working ten straight days at one point, some of which was two different shifts). Peter Alexander seems to beholding down weekend NN just fine.

That article really exposed NBC News' diseased guts; nobody there knows what to do anymore. I half expect different departments to start being inter-office gangs. We're kinda lucky that the turmoil hasn't spread to MSNBC; CNBC's over in Engelwood Cliffs, and The Weather Channel is in Atlanta, so they're safe, for the moment. Hopefully, CBS can capitalize on NBC News' Humiliation Conga and get up to 2nd place.

Archived