Brian Williams Admits to Telling False Story

NYNewser_676

As if this story can't get any more bizarre, NBC Philadelphia is actually promoting the controversy by asking its viewers to weigh in on if they think Brian Williams should be fired or not!

https://twitter.com/NBCPhiladelphia/status/565016320031219712

You think that's awkward... Look at what Rachel Maddow said tonight on air.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/maddow-no-one-from-nbc-will-talk-to-us-on-air-about-brian-williams/

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing to do with Hoda but when the 9am hour frequently has Hollywood Celebrities guest co-hosting I would hardly call it a serious hour like the first 2 hours is. All I was saying if Tamron can anchor the some lighter 9am hour of Today and Hoda can do her 10am gabfest I wouldn't see no reason why Hoda couldn't anchor the first 2 hours of Today. I mean she did it when Savannah was out on leave that's all I'm saying.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I see 9am as "Today Light" and 10am as "Today on Crack".

You think that's awkward... Look at what Rachel Maddow said tonight on air.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/maddow-no-one-from-nbc-will-talk-to-us-on-air-about-brian-williams/

I remember being in WDIV's newsroom and overhearing NBC's response to MSNBC reporting things about the decision in the Ferguson case when the station called NBC. NBC's response to MSNBC's reports was to the effect of "we have nothing to do with those jacka**es". So it may be less awkward than you might expect. Apparently the two do not get along well.

I remember being in WDIV's newsroom and overhearing NBC's response to MSNBC reporting things about the decision in the Ferguson case when the station called NBC. NBC's response to MSNBC's reports was to the effect of "we have nothing to do with those jacka**es". So it may be less awkward than you might expect. Apparently the two do not get along well.

You almost make it sound like NBC News and MSNBC are siblings that don't necessarily get along well but have to share toys (reporters and resources) all vying for the affection of their parent NBCUniversal News Group. In this example NBC News is the older brother, CNBC is the ignored middle child, MSNBC is the young screw up and Telemundo is the the step child that no one cares about.

I must say when I got the Breaking News app breaking news alert I freaked out and was pissed. I understand they needed to so something but six months is too long. In my opinion three months would be adequate. I was talking with my mother and both of us are pissed off and we interpreted it as he's eventually going to be fired. My mother now says she won't watch any of NBC News' broadcast content. But after a while I realized that if they were going to fire him they would have done it already (just like Weeters said.) Both Steve Burke's and Deborah Turness' statements make it sound like they have the full intention of returning him to air. The only way I see him being fired is if there are even more screw ups and or if we find out he either made up/plagiarized content. If he is fired I sure as hell hope he has a pay or play clause in his contract but this may be doubtful as he doesn't have an agent. Then again after a while he may feel that his reputation is damaged beyond repair and take an early retirement.

As a side note I was surprised that Breaking News' app and twitter feed attributed Brian Stetler and some one else. You would think NBC and Breaking News would want to release this on their own timetable as opposed to being forced to issue a statement after some one leaked the information. Also Brian Stetler doesn't seem to call out CNN (as he said he would when he took the job) as much as the other networks.

Right now I'm Team Williams but if more discrepancies come to light this may change.

To those of you who believe that Brian's not going to be fired down the road simply because you think they would have done it by now, why are you so sure? Firing him immediately would have caused more outrage among loyal viewers than if he were to fade out into the dark as viewers become accustomed to Holt and eventually "choose to leave on his own." Though it seems like it at times, these people calling the shots aren't stupid.

It's not like he's going on maternity leave or fighting an illness. In either of those cases, like with Savannah and Robin, they'd be able to check in on him throughout the course of his absence and celebrate his return. Neither seems appropriate in this case. Therefore, a return would be rather awkward.

As has been mentioned prior, for someone who is on air every day, six months is an enternity. If they wanted to keep him, I don't think they would've benched him for half a year.

You almost make it sound like NBC News and MSNBC are siblings that don't necessarily get along well but have to share toys (reporters and resources) all vying for the affection of their parent NBCUniversal News Group. In this example NBC News is the older brother, CNBC is the ignored middle child, MSNBC is the young screw up and Telemundo is the the step child that no one cares about.

I must say when I got the Breaking News app breaking news alert I freaked out and was pissed. I understand they needed to so something but six months is too long. In my opinion three months would be adequate. I was talking with my mother and both of us are pissed off and we interpreted it as he's eventually going to be fired. My mother now says she won't watch any of NBC News' broadcast content. But after a while I realized that if they were going to fire him they would have done it already (just like Weeters said.) Both Steve Burke's and Deborah Turness' statements make it sound like they have the full intention of returning him to air. The only way I see him being fired is if there are even more screw ups and or if we find out he either made up/plagiarized content. If he is fired I sure as hell hope he has a pay or play clause in his contract but this may be doubtful as he doesn't have an agent. Then again after a while he may feel that his reputation is damaged beyond repair and take an early retirement.

As a side note I was surprised that Breaking News' app and twitter feed attributed Brian Stetler and some one else. You would think NBC and Breaking News would want to release this on their own timetable as opposed to being forced to issue a statement after some one leaked the information. Also Brian Stetler doesn't seem to call out CNN (as he said he would when he took the job) as much as the other networks.

Right now I'm Team Williams but if more discrepancies come to light this may change.

To be more specific I remember the whole thing surrounded MSNBC reporting what time the Grand Jury decision would come. NBC's comment surrounded their reluctance to run right out with an unconfirmed time (which MSNBC had wrong). It was surprising that they weren't exactly on the same page, which is what I thought the synergy of having NBC News resources was all about.

A textbook case of "too many cooks in the kitchen." Pat Fili-Krushel oversees all of those divisions, yet none of them have directly integrated with each other.

I haven't been defending Brian, giving all sides SOME benefit of the doubt, but this, to me, might be one of the more odd developments...

Brian wanted 'The Tonight Show'? What's crazy (I saw this in another article yesterday) is that Letterman apparently tossed Williams' name into the fold last year with CBS execs, feeling that the anchor could be a suitable successor.

One can only imagine that Williams was wishing his anchor escape plan had worked out and that he was the host of The Tonight Show right now. According to two NBC insiders, when the network decided to move on from Jay Leno a few years ago, Williams lobbied NBC executives to give him the host’s chair. “Brian wants to be a late-night comedian,” one former colleague explained. “He traded on being Nightly Newsanchorman-war-reporter to ingratiate himself with Jimmy, Lorne Michaels, and Jon Stewart.”

Now, of course, he’s become the subject of jokes rather than the one telling them.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2015/02/williams-wishes-he-were-tonight-show-host.html

In other news, NBC's local stations are requiring all news employees to brush up on the company's rules and policies in the wake of the Williams fiasco...all 83 pages by Friday.

Employees of WMAQ-Channel 5 and other NBC-owned stations have been ordered to review the network’s 83-page manual on news guidelines in the wake of the Brian Williams scandal at NBC News.

NBC 5 news staffers were told they have until Friday to acknowledge in writing that they have read NBCUniversal News Group Policies and Guidelines, a massive tome that covers everything from accuracy and fairness in reporting to ownership of securities and insider trading. “It is important that our staff and daily hires be up to date on NBC News Policies and Guidelines,” NBC 5 news director Debra Juarez told employees Tuesday.

[...]

Defining accuracy as “ensuring all of the facts are correct and presenting them in their proper context,” the guidelines state: “Accuracy and fairness are fundamental principles of journalism. As we routinely rely on information and pictures coming from other traditional and non-traditional sources, we must verify their accuracy and authenticity and ensure fairness, because we are responsible for everything we air or publish.”

(Behind Paywall) http://www.robertfeder.com/2015/02/11/collateral-damage-nbc-5-staffers-under-scrutiny/

Here are my thoughts on this:

It is very unfortunate that this happened and I think NBC made the right move of the severe suspension. Add onto the fact that the news division has had mishaps very recently. While the punishment is appropriate and it was a good move to address it as quickly as they can, should NBC News president Deborah Turness resign? Because with the accounts that I have read about Dateline's mishap with GM back in 1992, the network acknowledge their mistake on air and the news division president at that time ultimately resigned.

Here's what TODAY did this morning: http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/heres-how-today-reported-brian-williams-suspension/255579

Sounds to me that NBC want him back in 6 months. If they're planning to let him go during the 6 months, why would Savannah say: We look forward to Brian's return. Wouldn't that create new problems?????????

Here's what TODAY did this morning: http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/heres-how-today-reported-brian-williams-suspension/255579

Sounds to me that NBC want him back in 6 months. If they're planning to let him go during the 6 months, why would Savannah say: We look forward to Brian's return. Wouldn't that create new problems?????????

He'll be back, no question about it. This will have long blown over by then and his return will barely make a dent, especially after viewers have had 6 months to be away from him.

Those are likely her own words/pov and not that of the NBC/NBCU brass. No doubt Brian has his supporters (she may be one of them). She would have been better off by following Lester's lead, by simply noting Turness' statement and moving on. No need to offer up any personal feelings (one way or the other). Better to be completely objective in a situation like this.

Here are my thoughts on this:

It is very unfortunate that this happened and I think NBC made the right move of the severe suspension. Add onto the fact that the news division has had mishaps very recently. While the punishment is appropriate and it was a good move to address it as quickly as they can, should NBC News president Deborah Turness resign? Because with the accounts that I have read about Dateline's mishap with GM back in 1992, the network acknowledge their mistake on air and the news division president at that time ultimately resigned.

No Deborah Turness should not resign (at least not yet)... The person who should resign is Pat Fili-Kushel, chairman of the NBCUniversal newsgroup... Look at all of the problems of NBC News, MSNBC and CNBC as a whole...who is the one that oversees all of it?...Everyone is quick to always lay the blame at Deborah Turness but a lot of these problems have to go back to Pat-Fili and who ever is in charge of their PR department.

One more thing I'll add is that in the case of MSNBC...Phil Griffin needs to go and the daytime and early evening schedule needs to go back to straight news with real news anchors, not commenators...And then have Chris, Rachel and Lawrence in Primetime...that's my opinion.

No Deborah Turness should not resign (at least not yet)... The person who should resign is Pat Fili-Kushel, chairman of the NBCUniversal newsgroup... Look at all of the problems of NBC News, MSNBC and CNBC as a whole...who is the one that oversees all of it?...Everyone is quick to always lay the blame at Deborah Turness but a lot of these problems have to go back to Pat-Fili and who ever is in charge of their PR department.

One more thing I'll add is that in the case of MSNBC...Phil Griffin needs to go and the daytime and early evening schedule needs to go back to straight news with real news anchors, not commenators...And then have Chris, Rachel and Lawrence in Primetime...that's my opinion.

Deborah inherited a boiling pot with a lid on it that was getting ready to boil over when she took over. The problem was that nobody realized that she inherited a boiling pot with a lid on it that was about to boil over...that's now boiled over. Turness is busy now trying to clean up a mess that she had nothing to very little to do with in its creating.

On a side note, not to distract from the main point here, but I do agree with you that it's time Phil Griffin of MSNBC left. The network has stagnated and is consistently either a distant second, third, sometimes last, and he seems to be perfectly content with that.

"With Brian Williams" was removed from the "NBC NIGHTLY NEWS" intro and logo. Lester Holt is not on the logo either, and the intro, sans Michael Douglas, says, "...this is NBC NIGHTLY NEWS...Reporting Tonight: Lester Holt." I seriously thought that they would give Lester credit in terms of the title card and intro, but NBC decided otherwise.

Archived